Is long term use of thermals bad for your eyes?

Has there been any research on this? ATN came out with a very reasonably priced head mounted thermal. Just wondering if it could cause permanent eye damage if you walked around in the woods for hours looking through it. You always lose your night vision in the eye when staring through a thermal but did not know if there could be permanent damage if you stare through one constantly for a long period of time.
I'll bet it's not as bad as your phone that you stare at every day!

I remember when I was in termite extermination. We used Lindaine which was considered safe, until it wasn't.

My father used to dip our dogs in malathion. I remember as a kid eating sandwiches after playing with the dog and having that smell on my hands.

Eye damage was more probable back in the day when TV screens were cathode ray tubes. They worked by using one or
More electron guns streaming electrons to excite atoms on phosphorescent screen which would glow. The electrons are effectively grounded at the screen and would not project into the room and into your eyes but CRTs do emit tiny but measurable amounts of X-ray radiation. I remember they were telling pregnant GIs not to sit close to them back in the 80s and 90s. The Air Force even bought a bunch of grounded shielding screens and gave them to computer operators that worried about the xrays. the new LED screens create light with low voltage and do not emit ionizing radiation.

I'm sure you'll see a lawsuit, much like the earplug lawsuit, against the DOD if there's any evidence of eye damage due to thermals/NVGs.

I've logged hundreds of hours of NVG flight time and I haven't had any depreciation in eyesight. If your having fun don't worry about it, just start shooting with the other eye…lol

I haven't heard about anyone with eye damage from thermal or NVGs but who knows, someone with sensitive eyes or existing issues may end up with problems. I suppose it depends on how long your using them. 1 hour vs 8 hours straight might add up to create some eye strain.

George Dean is correct. I asked that specific question to my opthamologist, a full professor at University od North Carolina Chapel Hill. Answer: will not hurt your eyes.
Ask that "full professor" if he took AFAM "classes" to get his degree. I wouldn't put much faith in anyone with a degree from there. They have a horrible academic reputation in NC. They buy their way in the national ranking publications for academic school rankings.

My old rock climbing partner worked for EA Sports as a senior gaming artist. i went to one of their Christmas parties and everyone, yes everyone wore glasses so ZI would say that staring at bright screens for extended periods of time will damage your eyes. yes they have filters and you are supposed to look away every few minutes... but even the young guys wore glasses.
I know I am temporarily blinded after looking thru a thermal even with it turned down.