Bad chamber guns can work better if you use ...

... nickeled brass.

Saw it posted in another forum. OP did not provide any supporting data ... yet but I thought it was interesting. :D:rolleyes::cool:gun)

Hi Feenix.....I have used it in my Sherman and it works well. The only problem I have with it is it can flake off and I didn't want nickel flakes flying up my barrel so I quit:D.........Rich

I would think that it would be worse in a bad chamber. If you have a bad chamber and try to shoot hot loads, you will have lots of issues and probably extraction issues whether nickel or not .

I tried the nickel brass in several cartridges and had problems with some of it flaking off like Elkaholic said. I never pined down why because it was random even in the different brands.

At the time it made a lot of sense but the down side is that you cant anneal it after 3 or 4 loadings.

The up side is little if any corrosion and it is easy to see on the ground.

The only cure for a bad chamber is to set it back of re-chamber it.

Just my opinion

J E CUSTOM

I would think that it would be worse in a bad chamber. If you have a bad chamber and try to shoot hot loads, you will have lots of issues and probably extraction issues whether nickel or not .

I tried the nickel brass in several cartridges and had problems with some of it flaking off like Elkaholic said. I never pined down why because it was random even in the different brands.

At the time it made a lot of sense but the down side is that you cant anneal it after 3 or 4 loadings.

The up side is little if any corrosion and it is easy to see on the ground.

The only cure for a bad chamber is to set it back of re-chamber it.

Just my opinion

J E CUSTOM

Jerry,

I agree, I'll will share his response, if and when he does. :cool:

Ed

Jerry,

I agree, I'll will share his response, if and when he does. :cool:

Ed

His responses ...

... referring to chambers with pitting and or tooling marks that cause extraction problems. Nickel being harder than brass has less tendency to flow into these defects.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]It is also slicker, so weak extractor design or ejector springs can work better.[/FONT]

His responses ...

I hear what he is saying and in theory you would think so, But at 55,000 Psi + it will imprint any
chamber defects and in reality be as hard to extract as standard brass.maybe harder.

A bad chamber will only increase the flaking problem in my opinion. So fix the problem and re chamber.

Comment; If nickel plated brass was better, I would still be using it. The last I had was for my 308
(Not hard on brass) and I had flaking on some of the brass after the first shot and had to clean my
dies and chamber to get it out. The plating process may be better now, but I don't trust it and the fact that you cant fire form or anneal it rules it out for me.

Some of the batches of nickel plated brass I used had about 20% rejection after the first firing and sizing In match grade chambers. other batches had 100 % rejection. I once bought a 50 round bag of 7 WSM brass that had problems before it had been loaded and was unsalable.

With brass being so hard to find,Hopefully everyone that tries it will have good luck with it, I didn't.

J E CUSTOM

Additional response ...

Well my theory has been proven to me at the range. My dad was a show me state guy, some of that must have rubbed off.

Working better doesn't mean that magically your crappy chamber now functions flawlessly, it means that you might be able to get a second shot without ripping the head off or punching the case out with a ramrod every time.

Cases are cheap, new barrels or setting them back and re-chambering not so much. And if it's a collector you just trashed the value.
L:cool:L! I didn't mean to but I must have struck a nerve when I shared you guys' take on the situation.

Below is my response to his above comment ...

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Good for you then!

I didn't mean to spark anything sensitive other than expressing another point of view.

Cases might be cheap but the opportunity of a hunt of a lifetime or a life saving opportunity to depend on and take unnecessary risk on a crappy chamber might not be ... but we all have to make those choices count and the consequences associated with it. My late Dad was not a show me state guy but he always make me think and rationalize things, some of that must have rubbed on me.:D
[/FONT]

BTW, I'm no collector nor an expert, just an ordinary man willing and able to learn.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.