Can you tell if your crown is bad?

Laker_Taker

Hi all,
I have a Weatherby .270 win and I would get an inch pattern at 100 yards using 54 grains of IMR4350 using a speer bullet of 150 grains. Now my patten is about 8 inches now. It seemed to go bad over night. I clean my barrel after every outing with wipe out or sweets. I was told at the range that I could of damaged the crown? Can I see this with my own eyes or do I need to bring it to a gun smith. Any replys would help

Thanks Aaron

I did check my scope mounts I have a Leupold VXIII 3.5x10x40 everything is solid that I can see. Thanks for the suggestion.

Aaron

Its possible but I would agree that this is probably a mechanical issue more then anything, receiver screws, scope base screws, ring screws, I would check these first and then prove that scope is not the issue.

I would also recommend against using Sweets repeatedly, to strong for regular use. Gets some Tetras, its much easier on your bore.

Again, I would check the screws throughout your rifle and go from there. If nothing changes, check the scope with a known quality scope. If nothing changes then, I would take it to a local trusted smith and have it looked over to see what is going on.

Kirby Allen(50)

Just had a similar experience with two of my rifles.

First was a 25-06 which I have had since 87 and has always shot well within an inch at 200 yds. First thing was the factory stock warped similar experience as you mention. Changed out the stock with a Fajen in about 95, which was a laminate and had aluminum pillars. The action was a good tight fit and I screwed it in and went on about my business. All fine till about a month ago when I got her out for the annual check on the sight in. First noted the scope was foggy, not an issue, I have spares. But while reoving the rings, I noted the action move slightly in the stock. Found that the wood around the action and shrunk some allowing the action to only be sitting on the tops of the pillars. A week long glass bed and back to shooting 1" groups.

Same with a .270, shot lights out every since we had it. Same load year after year, putting them into nice clover leaves at 200yds. This year couldn't keep them on a 8x11 target at 100yds. Inspected the rifle for loose screws and such, then found excessive pressure on the barrel. Pulled the action and also found that the recoil lug part of the stock had a considerable amount of powdered wood in it from the recoil lug hitting it through they years. Cleaned it out and found that the lug was then loose in the slot. So another bedding job, and back in business.

Not saying that this is your case, but could be the stock has headed in it's own direction or that the lug area could be working against you. IT is definately worth a check if you have not changed anything else.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.