Atlas Bipods, worth the price??

You won't be disappointed with this upgrade......I currently use the bolt on on my AICS chassis with adapter, but like stated earlier I ordered another pair with the quick detach lever, One of my shooting buddies has the removable one and its slick.

There is a definite stability improvement, the only downside I have found is it takes slightly longer to deploy cause of the detent's and you have to move each leg independently.....my prone groups have improved since I started using them with less tendency for horizontal flyers.

Here's a photo link:
gun)https://www.icloud.com/photostream/#AD532ODWGkY1JQ

Again, I am thrilled to see these comments. :)

Andy and I are constantly seeking new products for the LRH Store. The ones that are most important to us are the new, cutting edge high quality things we identify where we actually feel a sense of mission to bring them to the LRH crowd. This is one of them.

This has been a while coming. Demand by the military has been so strong that the company stopped adding dealers a while back and we got on a waiting list with them in 2012. Now they are about to ship our first order!

Here's how I came across the Atlas...

After fighting with the Harris on one of my .338-408's during an extreme long range steel plate competition, I had to find a bi-pod capable of supporting a 22lb rifle. At the time, I was working on a project for a SEAL friend of mine, and I asked for his recommendation. It just so happened that he helped write the patent on the Atlas...
Done deal, and enough said... He introduced me to the owner of BT Industries, and we have also become friends.
Their products are second to none, as is their customer relations and business philosophy..
Buy the Atlas, you won't be disappointed.

Excuse my lack of knowledge on this, I haven't researched them. But maybe it would be good for this discussion to include my questions here. So is there a model that will attach to the front sling swivel, or is there machining involved to get the Atlas attached the first time?

Roughly how do they compare in weight to a swivel 9~13 Harris?

I am sure there are feet options but are the standard ones rubber?

Thanks
Jeff

Excuse my lack of knowledge on this, I haven't researched them. But maybe it would be good for this discussion to include my questions here. So is there a model that will attach to the front sling swivel, or is there machining involved to get the Atlas attached the first time?

Roughly how do they compare in weight to a swivel 9~13 Harris?

I am sure there are feet options but are the standard ones rubber?

Thanks
Jeff

Jeff, i, not aware of a model that uses a sling stud.....you have mount an picitanny rail on the for ends for use....it's a simple task and you can use the hole where the stud is now but you have to drill another one and use a backing nut.....there are kits available and we have covered the work with bedding material and still provide easy clearance for barrel float.

#2 I just took mine out to the shop and weighted them on my meat processing scale....ant the atlas is lighter!!!!

Harris-0.9#
Atlas - 0.75#

Rubber feet are standard and yes, there are other options that are super quick to change.

I set them up side by side for this picture.......the Atlas is much more compact and solid! Atlas:
https://www.icloud.com/photostream/#AD532ODWGkY1JQ

The lengths as measured are:

Atlas: 7" closed and 10" fully extended.

Harris: 8" closed and 12" extended.

The atlas allows for a lower position as the way the Harris mounts sits it up higher, my center of bore measures 8" with the Atlas while the Harris is 9.5"

Here are a few more pics showing them both collapsed and extended of a couple of my rifles.

Atlas:
https://www.icloud.com/photostream/#AD532ODWGkY1JQ

Also, Atlas makes leg extensions that can be added and I've ordered a couple 2" extensions with my second bipod and I'm hoping it arrives some time soon!

Another feature to mention is the swivel pan action on the Atlas can be controlled with a tension nut....it's basically got a ball head that allows for vertical and horizontal movement.

A feature I like is legs fold either direction,and I have had them opposing to stradle a log or fit rock shape better.

I'm stoked to see Len as another vendor of the Atlas!

Jeff, you can also use the Atlas with an AI Spigot mount (the little stud that sticks out the front of your forend.) It's reportedly not as ridgid as the pic rail though.

Here's a decent pic of the QD model on my 6.5wsm.

6-5 WSM- First Shots (2).jpg

t

Thanks, I will look into the rail though, the rifle really has no forearm. Just a barrel tube.:) I would think it will be thick enough to drill and tap though. Man, still waiting on the rifle and already drilling holes in it.:D

Jeff

The atlas allows for a lower position as the way the Harris mounts sits it up higher, my center of bore measures 8" with the Atlas while the Harris is 9.5

So do I read this correctly, with the Atlas over the Harris we loose 1 1/2" of height on the bottom and 2" on full extension with the Atlas?

If correct that does raise a little concern for me with my ELR rifle. It seems that many shots over 2000 yards we are extending the bipods more as most of the time we are shooting at an upward angle.

Jeff

So do I read this correctly, with the Atlas over the Harris we loose 1 1/2" of height on the bottom and 2" on full extension with the Atlas?

If correct that does raise a little concern for me with my ELR rifle. It seems that many shots over 2000 yards we are extending the bipods more as most of the time we are shooting at an upward angle.

Jeff

you can buy leg extensions for the Atlas, they snap in where the feet on the bi-pod do, they give an extra like 3 inches to the total height.

you can buy leg extensions for the Atlas, they snap in where the feet on the bi-pod do, they give an extra like 3 inches to the total height.

Thanks, I did read that and I assume they do attach very solidly. I guess that is as good of an option as offering pods at different heights. What do the legs go for now?

So, I am starting to see their will be a considerable amount of more $$ in adding one.

Pod
Quick attach
Leg extensions
Pic rail

Am I missing anything?

So what would be a good online price for all except the rail? I feel the rail may differ a bit from rifle to rifle. I believe NF offers one that can be machined to fit.

Jeff

Thanks, I did read that and I assume they do attach very solidly. I guess that is as good of an option as offering pods at different heights. What do the legs go for now?

So, I am starting to see their will be a considerable amount of more $$ in adding one.

Pod
Quick attach
Leg extensions
Pic rail

Am I missing anything?

So what would be a good online price for all except the rail? I feel the rail may differ a bit from rifle to rifle. I believe NF offers one that can be machined to fit.

Jeff

most places have very similar proces, when I was looking, it was like comparing prices for NF scopes, no real difference. I got my bi-pod from Triad Tactical, they have everything you would need for installing an Atlas. I just got one of the basic Accu-shot rails for mine.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.