Atlas bipod thoughts

odoylerules

I'm interested in getting one for my new build. I'm using an MPA chassis and this rig will primarily be a LR hunting rig. I'd really like to hear opinions and field experiences with different models and heights.
I'm leaning towards the taller PSR model with quick disconnect. My main concern is to get the taller model in its lowest configuration the legs need to be in the 45° position. Can you get consistent bipod load in that position? Thanks for the help

Just get a taller rear bag and don't put it in the 45 position. The rubber feet are what makes it a pain to load consistently. IMO the shorter versions are not worth a crap in most all hunting situations. They are too short to use in hardly any incline, and impossible if there is any half tall grass. I would get the taller model, a set of spike feet and a bigger rear bag.

There are just more scenarios where you could make the tall work vs when it wouldn't.

I run a BT10 on one of my rifles. It flat out works , tough as nails, does anything you could ask from a bipod except be lightweight. If you're more concerned about function and less concerned about weight, Atlas bipods are impossible to beat in my opinion.

The chassis has a rear monopod that should come in handy so I won't have to carry a rear bag while hunting.

I don't know if I would take it off your order, but add the bag rider so you can try that. I have both on my chassis, but you can't use the mono pod with the rider installed. I just have it to balance a little better.

It takes too long to get adjusted in a hunting situation and it's not as stable as a bag to me. It doesn't support the stock like a bag and you can't make small elevation adjustments quickly like you can by squeezing or setting a bag. Just my opinion, YMMV.

I have that chassis. The rear mono is pretty worthless except at the range.

You be a lot better off adding the bag rider.

+1....Yes, absolutely replace it with a bag rider....whether for PRS or Hunting; IMO, it's too low and slow. I like the short Atlas for competition, add the 3" extensions for hunting.

Attachments

• 32DD6BE8-CFC6-4EF0-B73F-0E10A33E03FF.jpeg
    32DD6BE8-CFC6-4EF0-B73F-0E10A33E03FF.jpeg
    422.5 KB · Views: 150
I found I was much more consistent when I switched to a Harris. Could never shoot good groups with my atlas. The newer models do seem nicer and have less movement in the legs.

I dont love bipods. I am not good at consistently loading the Harris. I tend to get vertical with them. The play in the Atlas (older model) allows the rifle to recoil before the legs start to drag. I can shoot much better off my Atlas than my Harris bipods. I dont load it, I shoulder if forward and leave it, light contact but no loading. For me its less critical to use.

It took me a while to warm up to bipods. Now, I can shoot more consistly off a bipod then even a bench(with the exception of a free-recoil benchrest Rifle). I also found that a "very" light loading of the bipod produces the best results for me. I prefer the Atlas on my competition(tactical) rifles, and the Harris on my hunting rifles. The Harris' combination of the spring loaded legs, and notched leg adjusters are faster and easier for me to get into position when speed is a factor when hunting. The ability to independently modify the angle of the legs of the Atlas lends versatility for complex positions common in PRS. As for accurate shooting, I find them both equal.

Ran a Atlas for the first time this year. Shot two deer at long range using the bipod and put my crosshairs on a few others. Not really a huge fan, mainly I do not like the locking legs. With my Harris bypod you can just grab the legs and fold them down when your in a rush, Atlas you have to find the locking pin. I missed out on one shot because of the delay. As far as shot placement I think the Harris is just as good for shots up to 600 yards, maybe more? Just my first impression...

With the legs independent you can set u on root wads and rocks easier,legs go back past 90

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.