Arm & Hammer Baking Soda Added to Media?

Talking reloading with friend back east and he claims adding this to his walnut media improves brass cleaning by reducing time plus increased brightness? He adds like a tablespoon to it.

Anybody ever hear this or do this? I know baking soda is used to neutralize in liquid media but never heard used in dry media. Just curious.
yap it works.. even to clean hands.. brush teeth.... make shiny a bolt... on rusted chrome( humid).. to take out scratches on plexiglass.. and all u can think.. lol

The Navy I believe has a saying about their bodacius use of Brasso....

"We polish our boots, we polish our brass, we aint got time to wipe our
***"

Some little ditty bout like that.....

Their brass is all shiny.....I just hope their powder is dry when it comes down to brass tacks......no pun intended....

Been using BRASSO for 50 years in vibrator with walnut hulls.... NO PROBLEMS...
Before that it was used all during my volunteered enlistment of 4 years
USN...65-69...ON ALL BRASS FITTINGS.... for 100 years before aboard ships to keep brass bright.....
with zero problems.......
God only knows how much Brasso I've used between MCRD and and Camp Pendleton…

1 capful NuFinish + 1 capful mineral spirits gives me fantastic results. Give it 10 minutes and break up any visible clumps before adding brass.

Baking soda is a BASE and most things associated with brass are ACIDIC that along with it also will act like an abrasive ie.. cleaning teeth. That is why it works however as with pretty much everything in moderation.

Baking soda is a BASE and most things associated with brass are ACIDIC that along with it also will act like an abrasive ie.. cleaning teeth. That is why it works however as with pretty much everything in moderation.
basic compounds neutralize acid, an enemy of brass. soda is a great fine abrasive. and cheap. i am going with this idea.

I usually use the Lyman corncob media with the green rouge on it. It cleans well but gets stuck in primer pockets so I have to blow them out with compressed air. Sometimes even push them out with a pin.

Recently I have been trying reptile bedding made from crushed walnut. It's smaller in size than the stuff made for tumblers I have tried in the past. I get very plugged flash holes with this. I have been using the brass polish on the walnut that came with my Berryman tumbler. I had to add quite a bit of it on multiple occasions to get it to clean well. It may take more because there is more surface area on the smaller pieces of the walnut?

When I get closer to changing out the media for clean stuff I may try adding some baking soda. I think the brass polish will help it stick to the media and keep it from ending up on the bottom of the tumbler. Being a mild abrasive I think it will help speed up the cleaning process. Being dirt cheap is also a plus!
I tried the reptile walnut media, works good but just found you can get 25lbs agragrit which is crushed walnut shells for 25.00 from home Depot, it's available in fine, medium and coarse, I just ordered some of the coarse, seen reviews on their website with reloaders using it with great results.