Arm & Hammer Baking Soda Added to Media?

Muddyboots

Talking reloading with friend back east and he claims adding this to his walnut media improves brass cleaning by reducing time plus increased brightness? He adds like a tablespoon to it.

Anybody ever hear this or do this? I know baking soda is used to neutralize in liquid media but never heard used in dry media. Just curious.

Brasso has ammonia in it so I avoid it with brass.
Been using BRASSO for 50 years in vibrator with walnut hulls.... NO PROBLEMS...
Before that it was used all during my volunteered enlistment of 4 years
USN...65-69...ON ALL BRASS FITTINGS.... for 100 years before aboard ships to keep brass bright.....
with zero problems.......

I have always used the RCBS brass polishing compound {dry} added to the media with no issues I am going to give this a try though cant hurt anything and its going to be cheaper if it works

Maybe no issue on large heavy fittings but ammonia is well documented in affecting cartridge brass.

The following is a standard statement from many different gun forums on using Brasso in cleaning:

Ammonia based polishes like Brasso will result in the nitrogen embrittlement of brass. After several months of using Brasso for keeping brass cartridges from tarnishing, you will start to see the neck of your brass case cracking due to the stress of the pressure exerted by the bullet. Ammonia will also cause the brass to lose its ductility causing the case to split upon firing. Be wary.

This is one of those YMMV in using ammonia based brass cleaners. Brass is hard enough to find so I take conservative position and not use ammonia based brass cleaners.

Talking reloading with friend back east and he claims adding this to his walnut media improves brass cleaning by reducing time plus increased brightness? He adds like a tablespoon to it.

Anybody ever hear this or do this? I know baking soda is used to neutralize in liquid media but never heard used in dry media. Just curious.
Never tried that before ,but walnut media ,baking soda heck a little flour and an egg and 45 minutes in oven , and walnut cake .

Maybe no issue on large heavy fittings but ammonia is well documented in affecting cartridge brass.

The following is a standard statement from many different gun forums on using Brasso in cleaning:

Ammonia based polishes like Brasso will result in the nitrogen embrittlement of brass. After several months of using Brasso for keeping brass cartridges from tarnishing, you will start to see the neck of your brass case cracking due to the stress of the pressure exerted by the bullet. Ammonia will also cause the brass to lose its ductility causing the case to split upon firing. Be wary.

This is one of those YMMV in using ammonia based brass cleaners. Brass is hard enough to find so I take conservative position and not use ammonia based brass cleaners.
You must be right.
I,ve been doing it for 50 years the wrong way....with no problems whatsoever....
Please keep in mind.I,m using it with walnut hulls,Maybe 1/4 cup at a time,in large Dillon tumbler...

I've been adding 1 cap of this to my walnut with each load of brass ….. works amazingly well, but I wouldn't be opposed to trying the Baking Soda…

Attachments

• 47201EF8-B1A5-4E9E-B521-0EFE50303A64.jpeg
    47201EF8-B1A5-4E9E-B521-0EFE50303A64.jpeg
    787.2 KB · Views: 106
You must be right.
I,ve been doing it for 50 years the wrong way....with no problems whatsoever....
Please keep in mind.I,m using it with walnut hulls,Maybe 1/4 cup at a time,in large Dillon tumbler...
From what i read Muddyboots was warning of the reduced case life from using ammonia based cleaners not that it would cause anything totally catastrophic.

But If you've been doing it that way for 50 years then how do you know if it's actually shortening the life of your brass cases or not? Have you run a control to see how many firings you get without brasso in the media?