soda polish

pig ranch deadeye

Does anybody else use baking soda as a bore cleaner? I run a rod down the bore with cloth full of baking soda. It cleans the bore without over-polishing it. Just the right level of grittiness for the bore. What do you guys think? Good idea, or not?

JMW67

they use soda to take paint and rust off of old cars I dont think I would want it in my barrel

Hugnot

sodium bi carb - mild abrasive, good acid neutralizer/buffer agent good for heart-burn in stomach, has use as tooth paste, removes rust. Probably would not hurt rifle bore but I would prefer to use J-B.

Rardoin

I've never heard of using baking soda as a bore scrub but I would not use any abrasive UNLESS you have a proper bore guide and a proper rod/jag that does not flex significantly and apply pressure to the side of the bore. The rod must also have a good bearing handle to allow free rotation of the rod so it twists with the rifling. I often use Iosso paste on a nylon brush (about every 350-400rds in comp barrels) to get rid of carbon fouling in the edges of the grooves and in the freebore. However, I have one piece fairly rigid freely rotating rod and use Lucas bore guides with the rod insert. I have seen no harm done in at least 15 barrels over the past 5 years...and yes...I have a good scope to check condition of my barrels. Using an abrasive without the above mentioned equipment is inviting problems.