Arizona Desert or Rocky Mt Bighorn Sheep?

stazmania

I have 34 points in AZ for bighorn sheep. I have family obligations, limited mobility, I have alway been a diy solo hunter. If I draw a sheep tag and health or family commitment will not allow me to go, I will either turn my tag in and wait for another year or donate the tag to sick children or veteran organization. I am looking for any input from others that have hunted AZ sheep or hunt in sheep country willing to share their knowledge. I am looking for info on units that are easy to access for a limited mobility hunter, that has good sheep numbers and quality rams. I understand 6a is an easy unit to find and kill a ram and would be a good option if I donate the tag but not so much if I have to get the ram out on my own. 44b is a good unit for limited mobility hunters as access to find sheep is easy and ram quality is fair, like 6a. I understand that the sub unit hunt for rocky mt sheep south fork unit in unit 1 and 2 is a good unit to see sheep from easy access areas. Any help or info with these area would be very much appreciated. Also any suggestions regarding areas you may be familiar with in AZ for a good sheep hunt. Thanks for any and all help.

Personally, I'd go for the Desert, but that is an individual choice and I already have the Rky. You should be able to find plenty of people that would quickly and happily help you. Reach out to any of the folks with the AZ Desert Bighorn Sheep Society and I feel quite certain they can hook you up with people that would help you for free, just to get to go on the hunt. Hell, if I wasn't banged up and still working, I'd help you. https://adbss.org/board-of-directors/ Good luck and I hope you get a great Ram!

How about help finding information on accessibility and opportunity to sheep and habitat? maybe an app gohunt onX or? Does anyone have any info on units 22 south or 24b north for deserts? I understand you can access these units from the lakes in the area making it a low impact hunt and if the hunt is transferred to an ill child or veteran it would be easy access? or still to difficult? As I mentioned in my opening post if I go on the hunt, I am a DIY solo hunter, but if I donate the hunt the hunter will most likely be mobility restricted also but I am sure they would have plenty of volunteer help on their hunt. If I donate the hunt, I wonder if I would be allowed to help choose/meet the recipient? or participate in the hunt? any info appreciated.

The deadline to apply is June 4th. There are a couple of great guys that do a podcast every year on AZ bighorn, Jay Scott an Brian Rimsza. They share the available statics but also personal intimate knowledge gained from years of experience. What a great selfless gift to share! If you want to hunt sheep or any other game animal in AZ find the Jay Scott outdoors podcast and shorten your learning curve with the great selfless input from Jay and his guests. I hope you take advantage of this resource and find success. Good hunting.