Arizona ban on trail cams

I saw this yesterday and though I share it. I don't use any trail cams but I know some of you do so here it is:

It seems like Its been an ongoing debate the last few years

Stay safe all

I don't use any trail cams but don't see the harm in them.
As an aside, how the heck will they be able to differentiate a camera used by a potential vs. one used by an outdoorsman who just likes to see pictures of game animals in the wild?
I suppose, assuming you place your name and contact info on a camera, they could cross-check against names of hunters who have applied for a big game tag in a given area and for a particular hunt season.
But still, I think it is a little bit chickens**t if you ask me.
It's not as if people are poaching all the live long day, is it?!?
Some people's kids, I SWEAR!

How are they planning on policing this?
Next thing you know you'll have to register your game cam like folks must do if they operate one of those quadcopter toys.
I know there used to be a prohibition of overflying hunt areas to spot game animals during season.
I can see the idea behind it but pretty soon we will all have to hire a G&F employee to follow us around to ensure our shoelaces are tied, you cover any poo or pee you leave in the field, etc.
Gonna regulate us to death it seems.
I wonder that if they keep regulating every little thing and hunters quit hunting, what will they use for revenue to pay wages, fix vehicles, etc.?
If WE are gone, they will be as well.
Sheesh.

There is a pretty easy way to use cell cameras in a given area to get in front of a particular animal especially if you have multiple hunters. It takes alot of cameras, but it sounds like that part is covered in spades there in AZ. For those that want to keep the cameras, are you organizing to argue your point to the policy makers? Quit typing here, get off your *** and fight as hard for your cameras as they are against. Sounds like between the outfitters, and the outfitters buddies they make up a large part of the constituency.

Cell cams still can be regulated differently than std cams similar to drones etc. This is completely different than a cam that requires you to remove the SD card. Yes, can they be perceived as you now know what is there but so what? You still have to hunt! I killed a buck off public land last year that scored 156+ but didn't use a cell cam since we know how many cams are stolen. I "old schooled" him. I cleared bare spots on the ground where I felt were his entry points to his bedding area. I got track info that showed his direction and yes I actually used black thread to time him up. So no cam but I altered his environment. Unfair advantage? Its all in your own perception. I shot him with a muzzleloader with BH209 which is not BP but high performance replacement powder, used a non muzzleloader bullet, 250 gr FTX with Sabot coated with moly. Where is the "line"? Any hunting abuse of any means does not require painting ALL users as same as those who abuse any hunting means. Deal with specific abuses and abusers.

Do you not see the same philosophy over AR's? This is the same discussion when slug guns rifled barrels came out, then it was shotgun sabots, compounds first came out, releases on compounds, when crossbows came out, scopes on muzzleloader's, sabots in muzzleloaders, laser rangefinders, ad nauseam.

Everyone has their OWN perception of what is fair chase which is why the "E" word is banned on this site as it should be.

Will there be abuses of any hunting means? Yes, there will always be someone rationalizing their actions for whatever reason.

You don't throw the whole barrel out over a couple rotten apples. Cull the bad ones and let the good ones prosper.
^^^^^ this!!!
The guy that gets It done through the extra effort and hardship will always find a new and better way to get a perceived edge. This guy will always be a target for those less committed. If not cameras, then trail strings, then lollipops 🍭 🍭....

Cant wait until you ban suckers in AZ, too! I might come hunt then! 😂😂😂

Last edited:
Just the people putting up the cameras. That's why they do it. Got to take that B&C or P&Y buck or bull to prove their manhood.

As far as enforcement, all the authorities have to do is pull the camera, run fingerprints and voila, they have the owner or the person that put it up. They can classify the camera's as litter and then the person who put it up can be charged with littering and banned from public land. As a matter of fact, the USFS can do it without G&F taking any action at all.
Only problem with that is most camera operators (hunters) wouldn't have a fingerprint profile in criminal records, I hope!😳

Got a CCW? Ever worked with kids? Been in the military? In some states, it's on your driver's license. Your fingerprints and, thanks to google and facebook, a lot of your biometric info is on file.

I have no issues with trail cams. I think they make for a great hunting tool. I hope Utah doesn't follow.
I use game cameras a lot on my property in Oklahoma, and find that it discourages me from taker younger bucks because the cameras show me the mature bucks at night that I never see during the hunting hours. So they are indeed a great management tool.

I guess Arizona doesn't have feral hogs. Tele-cams are a godsend when trying to kill nocturnal feral hogs.

You were saying:

We didn't, but apparently now we do. Thats 45 minutes south of Tucson just north of the border.

Interesting. Was thinking about states like Texas where game feeders are the norm and using cameras to see what bucks are coming to the feeders is common. In texas it's almost like a game management plan for private land where they cull deer etc. Also, seems like came cameras would be almost mandatory for keeping track of wild pigs etc.
I guess the last thing you need on the Arizona strip is a bunch of deer feeders and cell phone wire game cameras though...

I live in Texas and that is exactly what we use trail camera's for management. using the camera we can judge the age and size/score of the antlers buy studying them and recognizing the one we want to age more (4 to 5 Years minimum for a mature buck) and the ones that we want to cull.

It will also tell us if we have a barren doe that needs to be removed before the rut. We also keep track of our hogs and the number of sounders in order to keep the hogs at a manageable population.

We also use the feeders not only to attract the dear (The big bucks are weary and seldom visit them) but it helps the does with there fawns during their pregnancy's during hard time but up to April when we shut them down for warmer months when they can browse and get there protein..

Unfortunately some don't use ether for there best use, But most do hear.

In addition to hunting use the trail cameras work well for catching trespassers and burglar's
in hard places to install remote cameras.

I guess the next thing will be to install security cameras at your house !

More stupid restrictions, written by stupid people

J E CUSTOM

Umm, yeah, that's pretty much how life works isn't it?

I've noticed that the guys that complain about limiting the cameras are the guys that seem to think that they are entitled to killing a trophy deer every season, most of the rest of the posters seem to understand that hunting doesn't work that way.
It's easy to make a law banning trail cams, but what they don't think about is the good they do as far as managing deer or any large game.

I wouldn't say trail cams are for lazy hunters, they do require more effort and time spent in the woods than most think.
In NC, I would say since the cams have become more affordable, the size of the bucks killed has increased, Hunters have a better understanding of the growing coyote and pig problem, and more people are planting food plots because they can keep an eye on them now. I don't have any statistical data to support this, it is solely based on what I have noticed and have heard from others that hunt in my area.