Arizona ban on trail cams

So, you're saying the actions of a few will cost all of the rest of us. You might as well join the anti-gun nuts then. That's how they think.
To an extent, yes. I mention the strip and kaibab because it seems that's where it is a big issue. In the areas I hunt south of the Grand Canyon it isn't nearly as big of an issue. We can allow these huge guiding outfits to continue to take all of the good genes out of the pool at a high rate, but what will that leave in the future? What will the strip and kaibab become? Hunting on the strip in general seems to have changed to more of an elitist type of thing with 100s of cameras and dozens of people working for 1 hunter. It's borderline not hunting anymore, but that's a whole different topic. Even if people are using only a couple cameras, they are finding animals they typically wouldn't if they had to put in the hard work scouting the "old fashioned" way. Any way you look at it, more of the genetically superior animals are being harvested due to the use of cameras. And over time this will have an impact.

Just the people putting up the cameras. That's why they do it. Got to take that B&C or P&Y buck or bull to prove their manhood.

As far as enforcement, all the authorities have to do is pull the camera, run fingerprints and voila, they have the owner or the person that put it up. They can classify the camera's as litter and then the person who put it up can be charged with littering and banned from public land. As a matter of fact, the USFS can do it without G&F taking any action at all.

I see both sides of the argument. For the guy who enjoys setting a few cameras out and checking them with the kids and enjoying the pics of various wildlife it's a shame to ban them.

Now on the other hand some of the things outfitters and some individuals do I would say is questionable when it comes to fair chase. Having a camera on every single water source where a buck can't get a drink to survive without getting his picture taken is flirting with what I consider not fair chase. I think there is something incredible cool about a giant buck that dies of old age without ever being discovered and sold to the highest bidding client that simply isn't possible in some areas these days.

They just enacted a similar thing in British Columbia,in November.
It seems the cellular cameras took it too far with live updates.,kelly

I have used cameras ; but quit because the honest thieves steal your chips and the jerks steal your cameras. This reminds me of the fight over compound bows many years ago and now with rifles we have the ability to set on a high ridge and kill a buck in the next county. A m/l can now take out an elk at 600 yards ; but we still get a special season. I am old enough to remember when I was really proud of a 100 yard shot with a ml or a 400 yard with a rifle . Now I hear about archers shooting game at 100 yards! We can not stop " progress" but if they did something like a $100 permit to place 5 cameras it might put a stop to the people who are placing 100'sof cameras!

Umm, yeah, that's pretty much how life works isn't it?

I've noticed that the guys that complain about limiting the cameras are the guys that seem to think that they are entitled to killing a trophy deer every season, most of the rest of the posters seem to understand that hunting doesn't work that way.
I think the guys who think they're entitled to a trophy deer are the ones paying for it. I think those of us who don't know how hard it is to do that regularly and I think that is why there is a issue with it, IMO.

It's unenforceable. They'd have to get a search warrant for every property whether they think there's one or not and there isn't a judge that is going to sign a blanket warrant or sign a few hundred thousand of them.

Sportsman along with manufacturers will tie the confiscation in the courts for year

We're talking about public property primarily in Az. Very little of Az hunting units encompass much private property and if access is granted on private property it's usually done so
in conjunction with AzGFD and the regs then apply. They don't need any search warrant for public property.

When u come upon a water hole and all the trees look like Christmas Trees from cameras hanging off them . I'm SO HAPPY TO HEAR SOMETHING IS BEING DONE . AND YES ITS COMING To UTAH And all western states

It's seems unbelievable that there's an argument about this...the approach isn't scientific....its ridiculous....
First..outfitters are taking a greater toll on your AZ game than you think..
Because
One...the outfitter might not even be guiding anyone..they atevjust the money men....
Two...the actual guide to the client may not be even close to where the critter is....but 20 of his buddies are out there too...
Then add in the cameras...each buddy has 50-100 cameras..
Thats what is killing the deer....
The picture...the booked client...the twenty guys running allover Hades while people that drew a tag can't even finds place to walk because the 'buddies' are taking up space...

Time to get back to hunting...
One guide..one client...
Walk...from main roads...no horses..no quads...no motor bikes..or electric.....

Earn your trophy...earn your money...

I used them here in WY for my bear baits. They allowed us to know what bears were hitting the bait. I do not like or use the phone linked units. They are going to far. Checking the pics was like opening Christmas gifts every other day. Some of the cub pics are amazing.
The pics at the bait allowed us to pass bear after bear and only take mature boars. They still would never come in during shooting light unless they were with a hot sow. Took me 3 seasons to take my 18 yr. old boar. I am 6'2", he was pushing 360#'s in the spring. Other 2 we took were 13 and 26. The 26 is the oldest boar ever checked in in WY.

Attachments

• _DSC1127.JPG
    _DSC1127.JPG
    4 MB · Views: 78
I'm sure it so people won't see ILLEGALS crossing their land in the middle of the night.
This is probably my first post here (not sure), I mostly lurk. Anyway, I have heard that some of the volunteer groups who watch the AZ border use trail cams. They catch all kinds of illegal activity on them. So this may well put a damper on their activities.

(ETA: Hmm, it says 13 messages, so maybe I have posted before!)

Sure glad NY has that going for it!! We can use game cams anytime of year. It especially makes for a good tool when your property butts up against state land that is heavily used because we used to constantly have stands stolen and people trespassing. Lost some cameras too, now we have to chain them to the trees and put a back up camera watching the chained up cameras just to catch the people. And it's always nice to see what's coming through!!