Hammer Trail & Vapor Trail

Is the Hammer geared for short or long range as in 800 yds plus.
They recommend at least 1,800 fps impact velocity(they may work below this but this is the lowest tested velocity and this is what they are comfortable with). So whatever range your cartridge can hold 1,800 fps would be good. I took an elk at 987 with a 227 grain HH and it performed beautifully from a 7 twist 300 RUM. Fast twist helps these bullets perform.

Try this little 'wake up'. Set up at/before dawn, with the sun directly at your back. So much so that your shadow will project almost onto the target.
Then shoot.
A copper, flat based bullet (for best effect) will reflect that sunlight straight back, and surprise your with what looks like a flaming fireball lobbing down range.
Startled the h___ out of me the first time.
I agree, this was towards the end of the evening this past June out in South Dakota prairie dog shooting. This is a 110 A-Max from a 30 BR. I shot everything in slow motion this year and was able to get some very awesome videos and some stills from them. Approx 300 yards if I remember correctly.
Screenshot_20211224-230654_Slow motion editor.jpg

Try this little 'wake up'. Set up at/before dawn, with the sun directly at your back. So much so that your shadow will project almost onto the target.
Then shoot.
A copper, flat based bullet (for best effect) will reflect that sunlight straight back, and surprise your with what looks like a flaming fireball lobbing down range.
Example of bullet base sunrise / sunset image. Watch from bottom right of video (5:00). I slow video down to 3% speed so you can see it.

Yes sir, and like I stated I am not trying to debate or debunk anything. But since you asked (😂😂😂), those things are in flight for extended periods of time. People way smarter than I put them out (added: the ELD bullets) on the market; whether it's their engineers, scientists, or their fantastic marketing crew.😂
All kidding aside- Whatever the reason, I'm all for a "better" bullet!
Yes, I question a couple things about the switch to "new and improved" tips. Before the "tip deformation in flight" was discovered I didn't hear anyone complaining about the accuracy of Amax bullets. Lol. In fact, quite the opposite. I don't doubt the tips were getting hot, but I shot a few 1/2 and couple 1/4 MOA groups at a mile with 208 Amax. So, it would seem it didn't matter they were deforming, however what a great data point to launch some new products! 😄 I also didn't see the ushering of a new trend by the other companies to make the switch from their regular offerings in plastic tipped bullets to a non-melting tip. 🤔

I will also need to read through the whole study, but at what distance or period in the time of flight were the tips deforming because of heat? I found a non-deformed tip of an Amax in a hog shot at 80yds. The melting must happen later.

Anyway, with all that said I was really only pointing out the reason we get the hammer trail is because the oil is getting hot. From this date hence forth (Merry Christmas) I will be conducting a phased implementation and replacement of my current inventory of bullets to Hammers! Also, a point of note; if you are shooters hammers today you can exclaim, "Holy Smokes!"

Last edited:
Example of bullet base sunrise / sunset image. Watch from bottom right of video (5:00). I slow video down to 3% speed so you can see it.

I see your bullet base, but line up more with your shadow almost on the target. Done right it will look like a fireball!

It might not be the heat in the beginning. Think of how much pressure must be on the oil. Much like diesel in a diesel engine when the piston comes up on compression. A little heat and lot of pressure and you get combustion.

Kris
This was discussed in a different recent thread. Explanation: oil is left in the hollow point as a result of the machining process. Then it is vaporized by the pressure on the oil generated as the bullet flies through the air.

I agree, this was towards the end of the evening this past June out in South Dakota prairie dog shooting. This is a 110 A-Max from a 30 BR. I shot everything in slow motion this year and was able to get some very awesome videos and some stills from them. Approx 300 yards if I remember correctly.View attachment 323650
That's awesome! No telling what is going through that PDogs mind, but I see what's about to!

Recent Posts