Cool Vapor Trail on video

aroshtr

I thought some of you guys would like to see a quick clip from a recent hunt. The lighting and weather conditions must have been just right, because you can see a bright white dot near the base of the bullet almost all the way to the elk. It is one of the best vapor trails I have filmed.

Last edited by a moderator:
The shot was 674 yards, and I was shooting a 338 Allen Xpress with the 300 grain Berger.

Nice shot, and cool video. It's nice to see the AX hammer something besides a small steel disc at 500 meters. But we know they do that well, dont we.

Jim

Jim, the bad thing about having this gun is that after 7 kills this season, now all my other guns are gonna' be collecting dust for a while.:D

The wind was between 12-14mph at 3 o'clock.

You can watch the whole video to get all the details, but it was a REALLY luck shot. I didn't want to post the details as I don't want people thinking I was bragging about it. But, I was trying to shoot her in the chest and thought I could thread the needle under that leaning branch. I misjudged the wind call by about 3", and I also thought that leaning tree was only about 5-8 yards in front of her, but it was actually about 15 yards in front. So the bullet actually hit the tree and glanced off and hit her perfectly in the side of the head. If you watch closely you will see a tan puff on the left side of the tree just below her head. In the full video I explain what happened, and my mistakes so we can all learn a little.

great video clip! I appreciate posts of real world hunting and honesty that goes with it, sometimes that bullet doesn't go exactly where you want it go, chalk it up as a good mental "slide" for your next shot in those conditions. Your right, once you start hammering critters with 300 gr bergers, all your other guns get neglected!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.