Are the Eld x bullets that bad

I bought my 6.5 CM to save the barrel in my 28 Nosler to hunt with. I can practice all I want with the CM and it loves the 143 gr ELDX. I was going out to shoot a couple of doe, so I grabbed the CM knowing some of the holes the Nosler had produced in the past, thinking the smaller rifle would be good for meat. I was blown away by what it did to deer. These are all does at less than 250 yards, but it's just bang flop, again and again and again. Never had a blood trail to follow, not a single time. Certainly haven't shot that many, but come doe days here in Oklahoma, the 28 stays in the safe, and the ELD-X's are put to work.
To your point, I think the 143 gr ELD-X's are especially good in 6.5mm bullets. I have a 6.5 PRC that shoots lights out with factory Hornady Precision Hunter 143 gr ELD-X's (shot a .75" group at 300 yards the first group after I dialed it in at 100yds with factory ammo). However, I reload for my 6.5 PRC and have shared the recipe on this forum many times and I use 143 gr ELD-X's and I am getting 5/8" group at 100 yards--plenty good for the Northwest Louisiana deer woods where I do not have a shot past 300 yards. I have read all these posts about if the ELD-X bullets were good or bad. Seems to me that there have been many more positive attributes posted than negative ones. At the end of the day it is all about shot placement and knowing your equipment for a clean, ethical kill. My other whitetail deer rifle is a Browning X-Bolt 25-06 and I shot an 8pt last year in which there was no exit; however it dropped in its tracks. To the other side, if you are hunting in the evening and shoot a deer before dark and they do not drop and you do not get an exit wound, it can be frustrating tracking if you don't have a good light. But more times than not, when you don't get an exit wound (and don't drop your animal) and you make a good shot you should pick up blood not far from where your animal was standing at the initial shot. As many have posted, there is probably no perfect bullet and it just depends on what your needs are. If you are bound and determined to get penetration and an exit wound, you might want a solid copper bullet like the Barnes TTSX. If hydrostatic shock is your desire, you might consider the ELD-X. Thanks

I have limited experience but enough to say they should great groups no matter the distance, will harvest game but I'm still sticking to my old fashion ho-hum plain Jane Nosler Partitions or real Barnes X-bullets when I'm hunting...the vital zones are big enough that even an old geezer like myself can still manage to hit it..

Not 162 ELD-X but 200 ELD-X out of his 300 WM. My hunting buddy shot a very nice bull elk and almost lost it. He put 2 rounds through the lungs at 400Y+. The bull managed to run back into the timber over a 1000Y; that is correct. Four of us looked for over an hour to no avail. Another hunter above us was watching and nice enough to tell us where the bull had expired. There was a spec of blood 5Y yards where he passed. We found 2 tiny holes in the lungs without a pass-through, and the bullet did not expand. He also shot a muley buck at 200Y and was able to run 400Y; the same result as his elk, no expansion.

He was using factory ammo. He sent the remaining box to Hornady, and they did not find anything wrong with them. My buddy stopped using them. I have over 300 .30 cal ELD-X that I hesitate to use on a game after his experience. The bottom line is that we all have varying experiences and need to know which is best suited for our intended purpose. Some people here and elsewhere have a better experience with the M over the X.

Good luck!
if you need to get rid of those 200gr ELD-X for the 300 WM, I will gladly take all of them.

To your point, I think the 143 gr ELD-X's are especially good in 6.5mm bullets. I have a 6.5 PRC that shoots lights out with factory Hornady Precision Hunter 143 gr ELD-X's (shot a .75" group at 300 yards the first group after I dialed it in at 100yds with factory ammo). However, I reload for my 6.5 PRC and have shared the recipe on this forum many times and I use 143 gr ELD-X's and I am getting 5/8" group at 100 yards--plenty good for the Northwest Louisiana deer woods where I do not have a shot past 300 yards. I have read all these posts about if the ELD-X bullets were good or bad. Seems to me that there have been many more positive attributes posted than negative ones. At the end of the day it is all about shot placement and knowing your equipment for a clean, ethical kill. My other whitetail deer rifle is a Browning X-Bolt 25-06 and I shot an 8pt last year in which there was no exit; however it dropped in its tracks. To the other side, if you are hunting in the evening and shoot a deer before dark and they do not drop and you do not get an exit wound, it can be frustrating tracking if you don't have a good light. But more times than not, when you don't get an exit wound (and don't drop your animal) and you make a good shot you should pick up blood not far from where your animal was standing at the initial shot. As many have posted, there is probably no perfect bullet and it just depends on what your needs are. If you are bound and determined to get penetration and an exit wound, you might want a solid copper bullet like the Barnes TTSX. If hydrostatic shock is your desire, you might consider the ELD-X. Thanks
I have shot 2 Antelope and 2 Mule Deer with ELD-X in 6.5 CM each with one shot zero issues. I bought a Seekins in 6.5 PRC and will be using it for Mule Deer this year,
E06D8D9D-80D9-41B5-880F-31316819EEE1.jpeg
1408071E-3F43-4754-AED2-1AA8BDC94817.jpeg
shooting 143 ELD-X in it. I do not reload but the ELD-X are extremely accurate went to the range the other day and shot at 300 yards.

I have limited experience but enough to say they should great groups no matter the distance, will harvest game but I'm still sticking to my old fashion ho-hum plain Jane Nosler Partitions or real Barnes X-bullets when I'm hunting...the vital zones are big enough that even an old geezer like myself can still manage to hit it..
Absolutely. Nosler Partitions are outstanding heavy hitters out to moderate ranges. If you want something reliable for longer ranges, the Nosler Accubond is a winner.

Unfortunately, both of those bullets were not recieved in time for me to make up loads for my new 7mm PRC, so I have practiced with, and will use the Hornady Precision Hunter ammo with 175gr ELD-X for next week's elk hunt. Hopefully I get the opportunity to dispel any negatives.

Last edited:
Most of you have seen my detailed post on 10/14/23 where I provided information on 143gr ELD-X in Hornady Precision Hunter factory loads and reloads in my 6.5 PRC; and 110gr ELD-X reloads in my 25-06. In terms of accuracy, I just cannot say or find anything wrong with them. This coming weekend gun season opens in Northwest Louisiana so if I shoot a deer then maybe I will have some real life performance in the field to share--so far I do not since I've just started using ELD-X's this year. But in terms of accuracy, I cannot find anything negative in my specific applications. Thanks

Absolutely. Nosler Partitions are outstanding heavy hitters out to moderate ranges. If you want something reliable for longer ranges, the Nosler Accubond is a winner.

Unfortunately, both of those bullets were not recieved in time for me to make up loads for my new 7mm PRC, so I have practiced with, and will use the Hornady Precision Hunter ammo with 175gr ELD-X for next week's elk hunt. Hopefully I get the opportunity to dispel any negatives.
Since your reloading components did not arrive in time, I think you made an excellent choice with your factory load decision by using the Hornady Precision Hunter 175gr ELD-X in your 7mm PRC. I think you will be pleased if you are presented with an opportunity to take an elk. Please report back to us on the results. Good luck and I hope you get one.

Haven't shot the 175's, but my guess is you put the bullet where it needs to go and you're golden; well placed shots rarely fail.

Since your reloading components did not arrive in time, I think you made an excellent choice with your factory load decision by using the Hornady Precision Hunter 175gr ELD-X in your 7mm PRC. I think you will be pleased if you are presented with an opportunity to take an elk. Please report back to us on the results. Good luck and I hope you get one.
Yep. Hornady spent a considerable amount of resources developing the cartridge and their ammo, and they were just about the only hunting cartridge I could get. They shoot great, and at this time they are a tad more reliable than my handloads with the same bullet. Thanks!

Most of you have seen my detailed post on 10/14/23 where I provided information on 143gr ELD-X in Hornady Precision Hunter factory loads and reloads in my 6.5 PRC; and 110gr ELD-X reloads in my 25-06. In terms of accuracy, I just cannot say or find anything wrong with them. This coming weekend gun season opens in Northwest Louisiana so if I shoot a deer then maybe I will have some real life performance in the field to share--so far I do not since I've just started using ELD-X's this year. But in terms of accuracy, I cannot find anything negative in my specific applications. Thanks
I will be interested to hear more real world hunting results with this bullet. Good luck with your season.

I will be interested to hear more real world hunting results with this bullet. Good luck with your season.
I've shot several does as my 28 is a bit hard on meat sometimes, and it has been bang flop several times here is Oklahoma on 80-100 pound does, field dressed weight, not a single one has run off. All shot behind the shoulder, but to be honest I cannot tell you how many pass through wound channels there were. All shots were 250 yards and under. 6.5 143 ELD-X 2800 fps at muzzle.