Are the Eld x bullets that bad

My brother in-law shoots a lot of the 143s and has had great performance. I shot a whitetail last year with one from my rifle too. I have some 162s for my 7mm WSM that I intend on trying out this year on game to see how they work. I've never been a Hornady fan, or even a user. Lately though, most of the boxes on my shelf are red or yellow, I used to shoot and prefer Nosler but they're just impossible to find or come with greatly inflated prices. Time will tell if I like these bullets or not.

How long were the ranges these were fired at, what were the animals, what shot angles? I had a 215 grain Berger hybrid do the same on an elk at 1176 yards. In my case I can't blame the bullet but won't use it on game that far anymore. Mine was fired from a 300 WSM at 2817 FPS. I had better results at those kind of ranges with heavy Berger HVLD's.
These were caught by a dirt bank at 1000yd. As a point of interest, Nosler BT's and Accubonds were still peeling back and mushrooming properly into the same patch of dirt.

I think everyone has listed good comments in regards to the performance of Hornady ELD-X bullets. I shoot 143gr ELD-X and Nosler 142gr Long Range Accubonds in my 6.5 PRC with very similar results. I think they are both good bullets and do well on the North Louisiana whitetails I hunt. Obviously I cannot speak as to how they would do on an elk at 600yds because I probably won't every be in that position (although taking an elk is on my bucket list). I think everyone has to remember that we ask a lot of out bullets sometimes. We want them to stay together and penetrate at high velocities at close range and give us a good blood trail (if our quarry doesn't drop in their tracks) yet we want them to do the same think at extended ranges when velocities are lower. I think you must tailor your loads to what your needs are and I realize that is sometimes hard to do because your needs can constantly change. If you are all about penetration you might want to use a Barnes extended long range copper bullet. If you want hydrostatic shock you might want to go with the ELD-X, LR Accubond, or Swift Scirocco. I've had good luck with the Swift Scirocco II's in my 25-06. Each and to their own; however I've had great luck in my 6.5 PRC with 143gr ELD-X as they are very accurate and have been great so far.

I've shot quite a few eld-x in 277, 7mm, and 308 cal. Killed maybe a dozen animals. In the words of old football coach Denny Green, they are who we thought they were. A cup and core bullet with a fancy marketing strategy. They shoot well enough in most rifles. I have a Browning 7mm-08 that hates the 150 grainer. But all in all they are just a stretched out Sierra Game King from 1985 with plastic tip. They work fantastic on all deer sized game, hogs and bears. When you step up to elk, better avoid bone. They separate about 3 out 4 times but leave a nice wound channel and do their job as for their intended use. All long range bullets suck when they come in contact with heavy bone at high velocity. The world's not perfect. I do shoot the 168 eld-m out of a short barreled 308 and they are magical. I also shoot the 208 eld-m out a 300 mag and have no complaints. The 178 eld-x was too heavy and the 212 eld-x BC wasn't as good or as accurate as the eld-m. But I pick my shots. I also will only take those rifles if I know I'm likely to be shooting over 300 yds. If I'm hunting elk in an area timber or oak brush and my avg shot is 80 to 250 yds. My 300 Weatherby with 180 Barnes ttsx at 3200 is the rifle for that job. I'm also the guy that shoots almost a different rifle on every hunt. Most folks don't do that. Beware of the man with one gun. I definitely don't follow that phrase. Just shoot what you have confidence in and hit your spots. If the shot is marginal, don't take it. Be responsible and accountable. Don't blame the bullet.

This was 200 grain that was caught up against spine at 618 yards. Retained something like 80% of weight. Not surprising didn't separate at that distance.

r8CCnYw.jpg

In a perfect world ….Yes! However, I don't live in a "Fairy Tale" world…..I want a bullet that will penetrate under the worst of circumstance! I want a bullet to reach the vitals no matter the angle and the amount of animal it must pass through to get to the vitals!

I do not base my bullet selection on small big game……however, I've found that my bullet also kills small, big game (and coyotes) pretty well also! memtb
Don't forget Mink 🤣