Are the .338s becoming pointless?

I really like this thread because it made me feel better. I just got into this LR stuff. A month ago I bought a Savage 112 Lapua 338 Mag and joined this forum. The OP posed a question that made me doubt the wisdom of that purchase. But all the rest helped me feel good about the expenditure. Dang, just realised there is no spell checker on this forum so you will have to put up with my atrocious spelling.

I guess whatever turns you on, we each have our own experiences! If it was during a SHF situation and I would have only have the one option to pick, then mine would be the venerable.22LR!
Not sure why? Ammo? Powder? Noise?
I have a .45 cal air rifle that doesnt use powder, bullets(old batteries make pellets. 225 grain) or a lot of noise. But it will drop a water buffalo at 50 yds and easly handle two legged rats.

I bought just a old fashioned 338 win mag several years back . It's an absolute tack driver with sierra 250 gr pills . I'm not certain that it's obsolete but it shoots just fine for me out to 350 yards . I've killed several whitetail deer with it . Not really what I bought it for but it sure works

THIS!
I'm not in a position to buy and shoot a 338 anything but do have a Sweet 300 Win Mag as well as a 50 BMG, both of which have been used to hunt and not just ELR either. That said, I'm now physically Disabled and on permanent disability which doesn't allow me the cashola to buy another quality rifle and glass but my point is that YOU buy and tune a rifle/ammo combination that works for YOU under the hunting circumstances YOU are comfortable with and skilled in. Buying the latest Whiz Bang whatever to keep up with the Jones's is silly for Just Because. If the venerable .30-30 Winchester is what you can afford and shoot competently, and bring home the bacon with every shot, WTH am I to say you cannot be a successful hunter because you don't have a .338 Earga-Splittin', Louden-Boomin' that'll reach into the next time zone?
So enjoy that .338 Win Mag and shoot it within the capabilities of the round and YOUR skills and you'll be both successful and a happy hunter.
Good Luck to you.

Last edited:
At this point I couldn't be any more surprised if you had chosen a 177 pellet gun.
Hey! My 22 cal pellet gun shoots them supersonic -- I can hear the crack as it flies across the yard. I had some 3/32" aluminum sheet I used as a backstop for the airgun when I first got it, darned if it didn't shoot right through it !
One thing to be said for 22LR, I can fit 14K of ammo in a milk crate...... Heavy, but compact!

20yrs ago, David Tubb did his One Mile Rifle video. 6.5-20x Leupold teamed with a 6.5/284. Seems like he was shooting the 142gr smk or maybe it was developed later? Point is there are plenty of smaller caliber ctgs capable of longrange precision. Plenty more hotrod ctgs have been brought to fruition.

If you're a Hobbyist, the fun is in chasing all the new "developments". Yet, there is no such thing as free lunch. The smaller cals are all barrel-burners; have to be to get the velocity to cover the distance. Smaller bore diameters ("calibers") are touted to bridge the weight gap and perform through use of specialty bullets. Probably, they "work" more often than not. Yet, there is no completely reliable substitute for large diameter and bullet weight combined with proper placement.

While there are some great match and hunting bullets made for the smaller bores, the .338 simply has greater weight range and performance capability. In the past 15yrs, this bore diameter ("caliber") has come even further into its own with greatly increased bullet selection. After all, shooting is all about ammunition characteristics and bullet placement. Kind of like how playing the piano is all about striking the right key at the right moment to make a melody...

In my observation, ctg company designers aside from the Dakota ctg series, have never gotten it "right". The .338win mag was very often necked-down to .30cal to great result by early longrange competitors. Necking-up the .300win mag ctg to .338 produced the finest all-around .338ctg I've ever tried; although necking-down the .375ruger is very intriguing to me these days.

The .338/300win mag is right there in performance range of the .338dakota and .340wby. With a 40deg shoulder it might gain enough to get into RUM and Lap performance territory. A .338/375ruger would, very likely; yet still operate through a standard long action with .535" boltface.

Going with the .338/300win over the years, I chose the .30-06ackley instead of any .30magnum. It is a great performer with the heavy bullets I favor where I live in Alaska.

2mi shooting seems to be the province of the .50bmg, really a crew served weapon even when configured as a bolt or semi-auto rifle. I have owned rifles in the 18lb range configured with great glass for longrange precision, and several large .378wby variants, couple of RUMs, and a Lapua magnum. Gave them all up about 10yrs ago.

The .338cal rifle has the ideal bullet weight range for my situation, even when it comes to cast bullets. I also own a .338-06ai which enables .338win performance, but with 5rd capacity and greater loading versatility. Ammunition versatility is something lacking with most magnums, although I begain finding loads for my .338/300 18yrs ago by using .338win data. I found I could get close to Dakota/Wby loads using 250gr btsp Sierras. That is about 13gr of charge weight variance using xmr4350.

With a quality scope and reticle matched e&w it's a pretty capable combination. Not a 2mi rifle, for sure; but who's judging the wind over there in the next county before taking their shot? Maybe on some rifle range with kestrels located at every 50yds to the target and bluetooth linked to your ballistic app or laptop? If your game is small groups at great distance, have at it... Of course, my idea of golfing would be shooting golfballs with a rifle trying to chip them into the hole. That might be fun.

The old adage is "beware the man who owns only one rifle". I never had the will resist owning many friendly firearms, but if I only owned one, it would be a .338
I bought a pre64 mod70 with a beautiful left hand custom walnut stock in 338/300wm withe dies and a bunch of loaded ammo , never even taken it out to shoot, l just bought it because I collect pre64 mod70's So you like that 338/300wm , maybe Ill put it in a righty stock and take it out

I personally am a huge fan of the 300 Win Mag and always have been. I own a 6.5 creedmore, 300 Win Mag. And a 338 Edge. I have considered a 28 nosler and I have heard the argument that many 7mm Rem. Mag. and STW fans have made for years and I hate to rain on the parade but from a long range competitive shooting position, sniper or hunting position the 7mm and smaller are not adequate for large game beyond 600 yards. The problem is energy on target. While the fast 7's buffet the wind well they bleed energy like no bodies business. Point in case: a moose taken at 580 yards with a 7mm Rem mag. The first shot missed due to a wind miss calculation, the second shot hit its mark only to have the animal trot off as if it had been stung by a bee, a third shot yielded similar results. The animal was recovered at the bottom of a revene several hundred yards from where it was shot. Another moose was taken at just under 500 yards with a 340 weatherby dropped in its tracks like it was hit with a hammer. The 338 win mag is a favorite of some of my Alaskan guide friends. Especially the ones who hunt the big browns and moose. The 7's are great for sheep and elk and adequate on the big boys at close to mid ranges but you would be ill advised to shoot one beyond 500 with them. No one wants to go in the bush after a wounded brown. The 338`s will always have a place for those who hunt Africa and Alaska. For the lower 48 the 7's will do just fine. As far as long range steal when you get beyond a mile the 7's don't handle the transonic zone very well the 338's and above stay supersonic as long or longer, bleed energy and velocity less and pass through the transonic better due to heavier bullets. With bullets like Flatline and Berger the 338's are now seeing bc's in the 850 to 1000 range in 280gr to 300gr bullets. With the exception of the 250 grain A tip from hornady you would be hard pressed to find that in the smaller calibers. Pushing 338 256gr flatlineers at around 3200 with a 862bc and supersonic beyond 2300 yards. The 7's are easier to shoot to a mile but anything they can do the 30's and up can do better. As bullet technology improves with them it will also improve with the medium and big bores and barrel life is longer. Don't think the 338s are going a way anytime soon.

Since I live on the planet of Reality in the country of Facts and can do basic math to compare ballistics in 7mm everything vs 338 anything, I must conclude that that you are either caught up in glossy ad campaigns of hype from the red box guys or you are a methican American engaged in common core methamatics

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.