Are hunters getting more lazy?

It's relative - 50 years ago, I'd see guys road hunting from station wagons, Buick LaSabres, two-door pickups and logging trucks. I'd also see horses carrying 270 pound hunters. I'd scout for a couple weeks, then on opening day, my buddy and I'd hike in 2 - 3 miles bugling & cow calling with a diaphragm call and a 2' PVC pipe. ~90% of the time we'd get an elk opening day, pack it out on our pack frames and get another elk on the next day or so. I used my Remington 700 BDL 7mm mag (bought it new for $199 at a dime store). There were only two different elk tags (Panhandle & General) in the 10-page Idaho FnG regs. With either elk tag, I could bow hunt with a 70#, 10% let off bow and also rifle hunt in one of the two elk regions in Idaho. I needed the week off after drawing back that bow and holding for an open lane for a clean, ethical kill.
30 - 40 years ago, the LaSabres were replaced with Nissan Sentras, extended cabs came out, the horses were still getting sway backs and ATVs were being used. I hunted the same way with the same success. The ID FnG regs were now now 30 pages long and resident hunting licenses and elk tags had doubled in price.
20 years ago, we're in the 21st Century. Some more road hunters, but with immigration and tax incentives the USA's population also grew to 280 million. The trucks got fancier and most were 4x4's. The horses never complained but there were plenty of 'em with the bends. I'd never been on a guided elk hunt, but the prices were way up there as the stock market & the COLA went up. Our success rate went down to 75% (4 out 5 or 6 years) as Idaho was experiencing the re-introduction of wolves (1995) {I won't go there}. And dang it, the FnG regs were now 80 pages long with a number system that required a college degree.
Now, it's 2020. There is less land to hunt as the Wilkes Brothers from Texas bought up thousands of acres of lumber company land and range that had been open to hunting. If there is orange paint on a fence post or even a tree, that means No Trespassing. The Woodhead wildfire closed my brother and my hunting area (after we scouted and used trail cams to get our hopes up). The FnG regs are now 150 pages plus weekly online changes (you can't be lazy or you will get a Misdemeanor citation = that's up to 12 months in jail plus fines. I have never been cited or even warned). There are $30,000 UTVs and $75,000 pick ups with Sirius radios and a GPS displays. Camp trailers the size of my first home with satellite dishes (it takes some work to get those satellite dishes just right for the BSU game). There are 350 million people in our country. On the roads and within two miles of the road, there are a lot of guys out - many of whom will have stories to tell but no elk meat on the table this winter. Tags sell out, residents can't even think about some elk tags because we have to wait a week to buy one IF you are unsuccessful in a controlled hunt application. So this year my younger brother (62) and I (68), had to hunt a new, open area (away from the fires, but in the same unit) that we did not have time to scout. We walked and climbed and bushwhacked it for about 9.25 miles (according to OnX and verified by Map my Hike) a day for five days. It was mid-October, but with the sleet, it seemed later. No success this year, so I'm determined to hunt harder next year. PS I just retired, and I am looking forward to hunting next year about the same way I have for the last 50 years. You see, it's all relative. :)

Last edited:
I can say without reservation (from a waterfowl hunting perspective) that there are so many more hunters chasing ducks now. I cannot get over how many people have gotten into waterfowl hunting. There's no wonder these ducks are SO SPOOKY
And they are poaching and getting fined. Ducks and geese both are spooky. Especially Specs. they used to be dumb, now they are the hardest to call. Folks ride the roads and look for birds. They go after them wherever they find them and hope to get out before getting caught. Last year I think we set a record. Lost count of the number of times we called the Sheriff, but he made a lot of money.

I didn't read all the posts so apologies if any of this is repetitive.

If we get the first hunt animals aren't as spooked, they'll be closer to the roads where there is water.

If we get the second hunt (two weeks later) animals are already spooked from all the vehicles around and we have to go in deeper to get to them, eapecially the mature bucks.

About 10 years ago we used to run in to lots of hunters and we had to change directions or go somewhere else. Now it seems we are almost always alone out there walking.

This past deer hunt my wife and I did not run in to a single hunter, its like we had it all to ourselves, as long as we stayed away from the roads. In the 3 days we were out there we walked little over 15 miles and didn't see another hunter walking around us. We did however see 15 to 20 vehicles off all types in the roads going back and forward all day long. So yeah, hunters are lazier.

Also the last decade or more there has been a bunch of new all terrain vehicles that have hit the market, now you can fit four people in these vehicles vs one or two in a quad.

We hunter hard Friday thru Sunday and not much luck. The Wednesday after I went for one last shot, I dropped one @ 280 yds from the road after 10 minutes of driving of the main road. We we're barely a half mile away from all the buildings, I had to range them to make sure I wasn't within a 1/4 mile from them. Had the deer in the back of the truck by 7:30 am, it just goes like that sometimes.

Stay safe all
That's funny right there
"I didn't read all the posts so apologies if any of this is repetitive."
In a thread asking about laziness you didn't read EIGHT posts! LOL

It's relative - 50 years ago, I'd see guys road hunting from station wagons, Buick LaSabres, two-door pickups and logging trucks. I'd also see horses carrying 270 pound hunters. I'd scout for a couple weeks, then on opening day, my buddy and I'd hike in 2 - 3 miles bugling & cow calling with a diaphragm call and a 2' PVC pipe. ~90% of the time we'd get an elk opening day, pack it out on our pack frames and get another elk on the next day or so. I used my Remington 700 BDL 7mm mag (bought it new for $199 at a dime store). There were only two different elk tags (Panhandle & General) in the 10-page Idaho FnG regs. With either elk tag, I could bow hunt with a 70#, 10% let off bow and also rifle hunt in one of the two elk regions in Idaho. I needed the week off after drawing back that bow and holding for an open lane for a clean, ethical kill.
30 - 40 years ago, the LaSabres were replaced with Nissan Sentras, extended cabs came out, the horses were still getting sway backs and ATVs were being used. I hunted the same way with the same success. The ID FnG regs were now now 30 pages long and resident hunting licenses and elk tags had doubled in price.
20 years ago, we're in the 21st Century. Some more road hunters, but with immigration and tax incentives the USA's population also grew to 280 million. The trucks got fancier and most were 4x4's. The horses never complained but there were plenty of 'em with the bends. I'd never been on a guided elk hunt, but the prices were way up there as the stock market & the COLA went up. Our success rate went down to 75% (4 out 5 or 6 years) as Idaho was experiencing the re-introduction of wolves (1995) {I won't go there}. And dang it, the FnG regs were now 80 pages long with a number system that required a college degree.
Now, it's 2020. There is less land to hunt as the Wilkes Brothers from Texas bought up thousands of acres of lumber company land and range that had been open to hunting. If there is orange paint on a fence post or even a tree, that means No Trepsaaing. The Woodhead wildfire closed my brother and my hunting area (after we scouted and used trail cams to get our hopes up). The FnG regs are now 150 pages plus weekly online changes (you can't be lazy or you will get a Misdemeanor citation = that's up to 12 months in jail plus fines. I have never been cited or even warned). There are $30,000 UTVs and $75,000 pick ups with Sirius radios and a GPS displays. Camp trailers the size of my first home with satellite dishes (it takes some work to get those satellite dishes just right for the BSU game). There are 350 million people in our country. On the roads and within two miles of the road, there are a lot of guys out - many of whom will have stories to tell but no elk meat on the table this winter. Tags sell out, residents can't even think about some elk tags because we have to wait a week to buy one IF you are unsuccessful in a controlled hunt application. So this year my younger brother (62) and I (68), had to hunt an new, open area (away from the fires, but in the same unit) that we did not have time to scout. We walked and climbed and bushwhacked it for about 9.25 miles (according to OnX and verified by Map my Hike) a day for five days. It was mid-October, but with the sleet, it seemed later. No success this year, so I'm determined to hunt harder next year. PS I just retired, and I am looking forward to hunting next year about the same way I have for the last 50 years. You see, it's all relative. :)
Man, If this ain't the FnG truth! ;)

I think our culture has become more lazy at most everything. As for hunters, more and more, I see ATV's with 250-300#+ camo and orange clad "hunters" riding more than hunting. Even the hunting vids seem to feature more hunters who are XXL

That's funny right there
"I didn't read all the posts so apologies if any of this is repetitive."
In a thread asking about laziness you didn't read EIGHT posts! LOL
Guilty as charged LOL.

When it comes to hunting, I cant be lazy. I usually only have a couple of big game hunts per year here in the US. Hard to get drawn here in AZ for anything besides deer and javelina, heck this year I didn't get drawn for anything, was lucky to get leftover tags for both coues and javelina. When I hunt south of the border there aren't any roads like here, just the road you drive in and drive out. You have to put in the work to harvest an animal and I wouldn't have it any other way. For me the challenge is what makes it fun and worthwhile.

Stay safe

Dont know about hunters getting lazy but there are some of us that are getting a dam bit older and cant do everthing thing we used to but I for one still try like hell just does not always happen

Your average hunter yes they are lazier. UTV's and other technology contributes. But what the real difference is there is more people growing up urban environments and less in the rural. The knowledge base of your average hunter on hunting skills and basic tracking, animal knowledge is disappearing. 30-40 yrs ago this knowledge was more wide spread because all of our grand parents hunted or grew up rural. This knowledge gap really shows up in the woods.

Now your hard core hunters are a different story. There are more of them today then ever with the increased commercialization of hunting. I see more of these hard cores guys way out than ever. More people are finding my spots 3-5 miles away from the road and the pressure on trophy sized animals is higher than ever in my 35 yr hunting career.

I have to admit that I have become a lazy hunter in my old age. I used to duck hunt in areas where your feet would sink to your thighs in a peanut butter like substance. I almost died one time when it got almost to my waist and I kept sinking. I had to bend at the waist and lay my upper torso flat on top of the mud to keep from sinking any farther. Luckily, I was not alone and my friend got a long branch and I was able to use it to crawl out. I have almost frozen to death when the gravel bar gave out from beneath my feet and I went into the water when it was 17 degrees out. The outer layers of my clothing froze solid which is what kept my body heat in and saved my life. I had this weird frozen armor on. Deer hunting, I would walk way back to my spot and have to drag a deer by myself back out. I don't know how many times I exhausted myself to the point of almost throwing up when I was out hunting. I ended up buying land so I could walk out my back door, walk 10 minutes into the woods, and shoot a deer. Once I shoot the deer, I walk back out of the woods, get in my mule, drive right up to the deer and throw it in the back. I drive back out straight to my shop where I have a gambrel on a hoist. I hook the deer up and crank it out of the back. There is no dragging and no field dressing. I am working on a way to use the electric hoist on the mule to get it in the back so I don't have to even lift it. I am not as lazy as my neighbor. He drives his 4 wheeler right up to his stand. He doesn't shoot many deer.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.