Are 224 Bullets Too small for Deer Sized Game?

After all is said and done use a well placed Nosler Partition any weight above 55gr for .224, it will kill deer. It will kill deer at or under 100 yards. After all the military uses it for more than target practice.

So many of y'all talk about the bullet being just under the hide on the far side. That's not good enough for me, I want complete penetration and a blood trail!

"It's all about shot placement", as they say. However, bullet choice is important I would suggest. Personally, I wouldn't consider it on anything but the smaller species, e.g., Whitetail, Fallow, Hog deer, Roe, etc. Here in Australia some states impose minimum calibers, typically .243 for the smaller deer, .270 for the larger species.

I wouldn't use the varmint rounds, definitely love the ballistic tip have used them for years on javelina, coyote and yes deer, mule and coose out to 250 yards with an AR .
As with any round shot placement is key remember an ethical Hunter doesn't shoot to sound we shoot to kill and make it quick and as painless as possible, and it is your responsibility to pick a round that will do that.

Acubond, Hornady and combined technology rounds all work to give a clean kill. Not a fan of hollow points on anything bigger than a coyote,

When in doubt go heavier and go BT

I have used 60gr Partitions in the past, but there is the 70gr Accubond, also 64gr Bonded Solid Base. Hornady has the 55 and 70gr GMX, and they load the 55gr for pig ammo and deer as well. I tend to hunt with hand loads in a 223, my buddies daughter has shot to many deer with her 22-250 with Remington Core-lokt. All the deer taken with the .224 caliber have all been within 200 yards easily, most at 125 yards or less.

This Mini-14 has taken two deer with the 60 gr partition and you would not have known they were not hit by a 7mm. One shot each the longest was 273 yards. Just consider the limitations of the round and your experience. Cans be a very effective deer round when used appropriately
5FDED25B-5196-4C3E-AEB8-B5399D93ED15.jpeg

The second bullet from the left looks to be the eldm.....I would pick that one first. There's a guy on a Facebook forum for the .224 Valkyrie that has been killing whitetails left and right with an 80gr eldm at around 3000fps from the Valkyrie. He claims to be killing them out to about 600yrds.....I know out to a little over 500yrds for sure but.... is it true, idk, don't know the guy and I'd be nervous to try it but in a pinch I would with my Valkyrie.
With today's bullets I'd say the .224 is enough if you want to go that route, is it the optimum caliber for deer hunting in ALL situations, that would be shaky at best. My nephew uses a 22-250 and has success with it, he tried to use my youth .243 but idk, guess he's not comfortable with the recoil.

Last edited:
I've killed a few deer and pigs with a 223. A vmax behind the shoulder results in a short run. Just don't aim for the shoulder or expect an exit. I've used hornady 75 gr tap hand loads ( bought as factory blemished). I'm not sure how many pigs I've killed with whatever I hand handy in my ar.I don't normally head shoot pigs. I aim for the chest and shoot as many as possible, then clean up wounded or stragglers. 223 will kill. I prefer a larger round but it works.

7641783D-5145-422E-BFF5-EF3FB25EC04D.jpeg 00AE30E2-D8D6-491C-926A-E76307E8DB6C.jpeg First pic is my daughter with her first deer 90 yrds with 90 grain fusion outta .224 Valkyrie you can make out impact on shoulder he was drt bullet was under skin on oposite shoulder second pick of 8 pt was taken with .220 swift 110 yrds with 50 gn varmint bullet neck shot drt I have taken dozen or so at ranges up to 423 yrds with .223 22-250 and .224 vykyrie have never had them move an inch shot 2 deer this year with my .300 win mag 190 gn Bergers over 3000fps Double lung both made it more than 60 yrds .22 cal is just fine for deer sized game kills them just as dead with a lot less powder and recoil

.22 Centerfire cartridges aren't legal in CO where I live. However, that didn't stop me from letting my daughter hunt with a .223 in Oklahoma using Barnes 55 grain TSX ammo.

Age 9.

Age 10.

Both shots were under 100 yards, both were one shot kills. She broke through the shoulder with the deer on a quartering to shot on her second doe.

Hunting deer with a .224 caliber bullet is like hunting deer with any other bullet. If you know the limitations and can work within them, more than likely you'll be successful. Ask it to do too much and you'll be one of the many saying it isn't good enough.

A lot of discussion about 224 bullets being to small, too low penetration, too explosive, etc for varied deer sized game at "reasonable distances", so of the below bullets, which is unsuitable for deer and similar sized game and why?View attachment 166189
Here is my guess;
#1-Remington core lok
#2-Hornady ELD-M
#3-? I think I've seen the white tip but just can't place a name without googling.
#4-Speer TNT
#5-Berger Match
#6-Nosler long range

A lot of discussion about 224 bullets being to small, too low penetration, too explosive, etc for varied deer sized game at "reasonable distances", so of the below bullets, which is unsuitable for deer and similar sized game and why?View attachment 166189
I've Killed Plenty of Everything from Gophers to ELK with the Sierra 53Gr BTHP 224 in my 22-250 there isn't anything I won't drop with that bullet, 4300 fps 50 - 1000 yds it's going down. one SHOT.

Growing up in my home state nothing less than .24 cal was allowed. I believe that has changed now.
IMO rather than caliber the law should be dictated by weight and from a centerfire cartridge. IMO nothing less than 100 grains from a centerfire cartridge, out west where shots can be long.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.