165 Grain SSTs on Deer Sized Game

Killed lots of deer with 30-06. Killed one buck with 125 grain SST at close range. Complete pass through but did not appreciate the jellyfication of the innards. Lots of better choices in 165 grain.
Sierra Gameking 165 soft point. Fusion, Interlock, accubond, etc.
No need for fragment grenade of the whole rib cage.

Sierra Gamechangers have thick jackets and I was not impressed how they would zip through without reliable expansion on deer. I prefer not to use tougher bullets on whitetails.
165 Nosler Ballistic Tip running 2900 will do a great job for you.
Won't fragment as bad as SST and I've never seen one pencil through...most punch though the other side with 1" holes.

Sierra Gamechangers have thick jackets and I was not impressed how they would zip through without reliable expansion on deer. I prefer not to use tougher bullets on whitetails.
That's nice of your experience with the Sierra bullets, but this thread is referencing the Hornady SST's in 165 gr. .308 caliber.

I have five 30-06's in my safe, so I feel qualified to make a statement to the OP's question. My comments are based on real time experience. I feel qualified in what my original post stated.

That's nice of your experience with the Sierra bullets, but this thread is referencing the Hornady SST's in 165 gr. .308 caliber.

I have five 30-06's in my safe, so I feel qualified to make a statement to the OP's question. My comments are based on real time experience. I feel qualified in what my original post stated.

I'm the OP though so I can comment lol. I kinda like bullets that will rapidly expand and expend energy rapidly in the animal a la SST or Bergers. I tried the 140 grain Sierra Gamechangers in my 6.5 Creedmoor and wasn't crazy about the performance. The 147 ELD-Ms and 143 grain ELD-Xs had a more emphatic kill effect.

Ok I have used the 165. Sst in my 300wsm they shoot great and the performance is great. My shots have passed through the animal the only one that didn't was on a mule deer at 350 yards it was on the hide on the opposite side of the animal after going through the front shoulder.

I'm the OP though so I can comment lol. I kinda like bullets that will rapidly expand and expend energy rapidly in the animal a la SST or Bergers. I tried the 140 grain Sierra Gamechangers in my 6.5 Creedmoor and wasn't crazy about the performance. The 147 ELD-Ms and 143 grain ELD-Xs had a more emphatic kill effect.
Creedmoor velocity works great with the 130 eld-m, 140 eld-m, 130 berger ar hybrid, 130 sierra tipped matchking.
The 147 eld-m has a thicker jacket than the other 6.5 eld-m.
The gamechanger shines in the prc/saum/wby where velocity is up

I haven't much success with the SST. I feel the jacket is too thin preventing pass through shots. Prefer Nosler Partition. I haven't used the Accubond but have purchased some Barnes TTSX LR to try.

My 3006 loves them. 165 sst over 56.6 gr h4350. .030 off the lands. It has killed every deer my friends who've borrowed it and I have shot with it. Including a 2 for 1 at over 200 yards and one only hit in the front legs.