Are 224 Bullets Too small for Deer Sized Game?

del2les

A lot of discussion about 224 bullets being to small, too low penetration, too explosive, etc for varied deer sized game at "reasonable distances", so of the below bullets, which is unsuitable for deer and similar sized game and why?
IMG_2211.JPG

Last edited:
I've used and seen the 223 rem used to kill far too many deer for anyone to tell me it won't kill deer. Is it the best choice? That's debatable!

The question has never been about "best choice", but is a properly loaded 224 caliber adequate for deer and similar sized game at reasonable ranges? I am in agreement with you, for I have taken far too many deer and other to know. If someone thinks the above 224 bullets are inadequate under the limitations, please explain why and per bullet.

Of the bullets shown My pick for .223 on deer would be that accubond. But the only bullet I've actually seen used on deer out of a 5.56 was a 70gr tsx and at 60ish yards it wrecked that deer. She made it maybe 20 yards pushing herself on her chest with one broken shoulder and both lungs destroyed.

Of the bullets shown My pick for .223 on deer would be that accubond. But the only bullet I've actually seen used on deer out of a 5.56 was a 70gr tsx and at 60ish yards it wrecked that deer. She made it maybe 20 yards pushing herself on her chest with one broken shoulder and both lungs destroyed.

I've used the 55 and 62 TSX with very similar results.

Carrying a .224 to hunt TROPHY white tails that routinely rip the scale at 160-200lbs, I would say you are under gunned. The whole shot placement is key this is a load of crap. The fellas that have the luxury to only take broadside perfect shots must have it made. 75% of the areas I hunt youre shooting a max of 100 yards through the mountain brush.

I would not trust any of those bullets to be threaded through dense brush into a hard quartering away 140" white tail.

If you're shooting a 130 pound doe in a field and going for meat then yeah. Shoot the Accubond or ELD or A Tip and go for a double lung shot. Those rounds will kill the biggest of deer. Under ideal conditions. But around here in trophy deer, ideal conditions don't happen a lot. I carry a 270 with 140 accubond in the mentioned areas

The two Speers aren't suited for lung shots due to their rapid expansion and lack of penetration. Depending on where in the head they impact they may not penetrate enough to cause an immediately fatal wound. That's why I say those two are out, the others will work. I've used and seen a 223 take quite a few deer when I was younger.

I would gather the biggest problem is lack of bullets sold and labeled deer bullets or ammo. Unless you know match and varmint ammo isn't designed for deer what do you chose? Most people who bought 223 ammo for deer hunting bought it for a youth or new hunter. Most had no idea bullets mattered. As long as their green box 270 said 130 grain it worked! No so with 22 cal . You can't go to many stores and buy 22 cal partitions In loaded ammo. There's several "good" .224 bullets for deer size game. Most of them are a hand load only option. Anything labeled varmint or match isn't going to be a good choice. If it has game king, partition , tsx or interlock type words it should work fine

I would gather the biggest problem is lack of bullets sold and labeled deer bullets or ammo. Unless you know match and varmint ammo isn't designed for deer what do you chose? Most people who bought 223 ammo for deer hunting bought it for a youth or new hunter. Most had no idea bullets mattered. As long as their green box 270 said 130 grain it worked! No so with 22 cal . You can't go to many stores and buy 22 cal partitions In loaded ammo. There's several "good" .224 bullets for deer size game. Most of them are a hand load only option. Anything labeled varmint or match isn't going to be a good choice. If it has game king, partition , tsx or interlock type words it should work fine

I hear where you are coming from, and it has caused a few to despise the 224's for anything larger than coyotes. However, there are factory loads from Barnes, Winchester, Federal, etc that are designed for medium, thin skinned game. Most people just need education about these rounds, their bullets and where to purchase them. Even many sporting goods sales people are clueless about them.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts