Are 224 Bullets Too small for Deer Sized Game?

Have you used this particular bullet at higher velocity and found it to be a destroyer ? I would be a bit surprised if it tears up a lot of meat. I haven't used the Bear Claw in this diameter or weight, but I have used a couple different un-bonded jacketed .224 bullets in the 22-250. None of them destroyed a lot of meat, which was why I was using them. I would think that the bullet you mentioned would work quite well at normal velocity.

No, I have not. I didn't intend to infer that the .223 Rem bullets cause a lot of meat damage. Just the opposite is the case. The .223 bullet caused meat damage is generally much less than the more commonly used .270, .280, and .308 caliber cartridges on deer. And the .22 WMR cartridge less than the .223 Rem.

Based on my hunting experiences, I'm confident that additional MV with any expanding hunting bullet causes additional meat damage, no matter the bullet caliber across the commonly used deer hunting cartridges. Therefore my goal in developing a load with these 62gr TBBC bullets, was to reduce MV to the minimum necessary to maintain 1,950fps at ~200yds downrange. Just my personal choice to create a load that minimizes meat damage, in my .223 Rem, a cartridge that even at full power, causes relatively little meat damage. My reduced load isn't lacking lethality out to 200 yards.

If I hoped to shoot blacktail deer out to 400-500yds with a .224 caliber bullet, I'd use something in the .22-250 cartridge capacity, with full power loads. I hope this helps explain the basis for statements in my prior post.

I agree the 62gr TBBC is minimal meat damage category of bullets, which is why I purchased 1000 of them. They haven't been manufactured for many years now, to the best of my knowledge, after hours of research in the internet. Hard to come by. I found a 1000 quantity of bullets that had been pulled from loaded cartridges on a gun auction site. Cost was ~ $0.11 per bullet. And the BC value and accuracy are both more than sufficient for my <200yd shots.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.