Archery success

piutemike

mike090-1.jpg

Last week I shot this bull while hunting unit 42 in Colorado. The bull is a 4X5, no trophy but pretty special to me. This was the fifth legal bull I had called in and the only one that I could cleanly shoot at. The bull trotted in from about 120 yards out, stopped broadside @ 7 yards and I let the arrow go. After the shot he ran about 40 yards and I stopped him with a series of cow calls. He actually took a couple of steps back towards me and then it was lights out. He was down. Ihave shot other Elk in the past with my bow but this was the closest shot I've ever had.

My dad was with me on the trip but he did not get one this year. Last year he took a 5X5, the first animal he had ever taken with a bow. He was 66 and began archery hunting at the age of 62. That was pretty special.

Mike

Oops, no picture, my first try a posting a picture, back to the drawing board.

Last edited:
mike090-1.jpg

mike088-1.jpg

Ok, I got it. Learned something new today.

My father and I took these bucks in Ca. 3 weeks ago. The smaller one is my dads first deer with a bow, now age 67. The trophy in the picture is my 2 year old, Jake. I took my buck @ 52 yards, Dad got his @ 40 yards.
mike078-1.jpg

Nice shot! I would be quite happy with that bull. Haven't been out yet my self. Allot of practice in back yard. Give us the details on your equipment. Looks like a Mathews bow. What broad head did you use. What was internal damage? Looks like it was darn close to heart shot. Did you get complete pass through? The only bull I ever shot was years ago and it got away. I hit him to far back on purpose as that was were I was aiming. I knew little of elk anatimy at that time. I have learned since.

Again nicely done :D

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.