AR10 Supressed Catridge Choice Options?

TheDerkster

I finally got around to getting my AR10 started. 6.5 CM barrel is on its way.

Id like to get another upper I can supress and maintain high energy at long range as well as being factory available if possible. Therefore, a 300 blackout is not really big enough for what I want.

I considered a 338 federal with 300 grain SMK loaded cold, but I know theres other options out there, its just a matter of whether they are better or not. Im sure the ballistics and knock down should be good.

Dont really want to spend 1.5-2.00 for reloads either so some of the real big rounds that are way high aren't really too interesting. For example, a .510 whisper could get expensive real quick...:D

for simplicity sake, a good ole' 308 would suppress well and give you decent long range ballistics. you could also run it heavy and have decent short range power. the problem with running the larger calibers is the higher cost in suppressors. the 338fed may be a pretty standard cartridge but due to the diameter you'd need a 338 Lapua can. I run my 308cal Omega can on everything i own and it works great. a good 308 can will suppress your 6.5 well too.

I agree that a .308 would work well. I've got a SWR .30 cal direct thread can, and I use it on a number of .308's. To the best of my knowledge, all .308's use a 5/8x24 threading. Someone please correct me if I'm incorrect.

I just picked up a Silencerco Big Bore for my .338LM. It also uses a 5/8x24 threading. I plan on using it on my .308's as well as the .338LM.

I just ordered an adaptor from Brownell's for my .30 cal cans to fit on my 6.5 Grendel AR.

Subsonic .308 ammo does not have enough power to cycle an AR, so I'd find a regular load you like and go with it.

I shoot my DPMS LR-260H suppressed. I hand load for everything I shoot,but never cared about shooting sub-sonic loads for anything but 22 lr. I use my Mack Brothers and Thunder Beast 30 caliber suppressor's with it.

I shoot these 30 caliber cans on everything from 223 to 300 WM,they really help tone down the report of everything. All of my 6.5mm cartridges are pretty quiet,but you will still here the crack of the bullet going super sonic.
Any Cartridge bigger than the 308 is really going to have a limited range in the large AR frame. Being limited by the magazine length will really affect your distance capability.
I had a 458 SOCOM for several years,it was pretty worthless past 150 yards. That's why I went with the larger framed 260 Remington.

The 338 Federal or 358 Winchester would be the largest that I'd think about in an AR platform if you're wanting to shoot past 150-200 yards.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.