AR10 cartridge choice help

It does seem a bit silly to me to spit laupa brass out of an AR but I wouldn't have a problem with the extra component cost if the performance gain would be worth it

It does seem a bit silly to me to spit laupa brass out of an AR but I wouldn't have a problem with the extra component cost if the performance gain would be worth it

I spit Lapua brass out of an AR all the time, never thought of it as silly...depends on the build type and purpose of the AR....

Hornady also makes some brass that will work in mine, but it has a larger flash hole, and from past experience, it won't last as long in max pressure loads. I will stick to the Lapua

After a quick look see of your current inventory, I'd lean toward the .243 or the 22-250. You've got some 30 cal already thats why I'm tossing the smaller stuff out. I would think my seven year would even enjoy seeing prairie dogs explode with a low recoiling AR-10 in 22-250. A nice little SPR in 22-250, I'm thinking my wife would enjoy that one.

After a quick look see of your current inventory, I'd lean toward the .243 or the 22-250. You've got some 30 cal already thats why I'm tossing the smaller stuff out. I would think my seven year would even enjoy seeing prairie dogs explode with a low recoiling AR-10 in 22-250. A nice little SPR in 22-250, I'm thinking my wife would enjoy that one.

Putting a 22-250 in an AR10 doesn't make any sense when it's already been done in the AR15 platform at about 3-4 pounds less. If you want a 22 cal rocket, then just get someone to chamber you a 220 Swift or do a 22-243 Win

FF to 16:30 if you want to skip to the accuracy test.

Last edited by a moderator:
6mm Creed or 6.5 Creed would be my choice on the AR10 platform. A bit more capacity than the 47 Lapua case and short enough to utilize the 2.850 mag length with the longer bullets.

ok so now why 6mm creed over the 243? better barrel life?
With the Creed, you'd have better barrel life, and the potential to run longer VLDs without mag restrictions associated with the .243 Win case OAL.
If you could score 105 Berger Hybrids, you'd probably be better off with a .243 though, as it has a better BC than the 115 bullets.
If you're running anything less than the 107 - 108 bullets, then i believe they only gain you'll have is barrel life.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.