ar in 6.5 creedmoore

Chuck...

You wrote: "Built my own 6.5 Creedmoor AR. Used a DPMS LR308 upper assembly to which I attached a JP Enterprises Cryogenic Super-match 22" 6.5 Creedmoor barrel with matched bolt. Added a Munstrum 17" quad rail free float guard and a JP 5/8-24 break. Attached to my existing DPMS LR308 lower with Magpul PRS butt stock".

But, you forgot to say what kind of accuracy your getting at what range...:)

Tangodown:

Took it to the range [300 yards] on Wednesday, shot 3 five round strings with both loads
and had the following results:

1. 123 gr. Nosler bt/hp competition, Hornady brass, 47.1 gr. Hodgdon Superformance " 2.6" five round string average. Best string was 1.4 inches.

2. 140 gr. Nosler bt/hp competition, Hornady brass, 40.0 gr. RL 17 3.5 five round average. Best string was 2.5 inches.

All fired from a "AR Ledsled" rest.

Tangodown:

Took it to the range [300 yards] on Wednesday, shot 3 five round strings with both loads
and had the following results:

1. 123 gr. Nosler bt/hp competition, Hornady brass, 47.1 gr. Hodgdon Superformance " 2.6" five round string average. Best string was 1.4 inches.

2. 140 gr. Nosler bt/hp competition, Hornady brass, 40.0 gr. RL 17 3.5 five round average. Best string was 2.5 inches.

All fired from a "AR Ledsled" rest.

Nice, very nice! Thank you for the update

Ar10 in 6.5 creedmore made me a believer in the platform. Shot a friends on Saturday and once I got a feel for the AR, I was making hits on a 10" plate at 758 ad nauseum. I'm not very good, but shooting hornady 140gr factory ammo, I stuck 6 for 6 in "interesting" wind conditions rapid fire- ( about 2 seconds per shot). Then switching to 123 gr amax hand loads without data input into the g7 br2 rangefinder, took 2 shots to whack a beer can at 903. I was smiling for 2 days straight afterwards :D. Having a hard time not buying that rifle now. It's a dpms upper/lower with a JP E cryo barrel/bolt a decent trigger, Lancer carbon fiber handguard warne mounts holding an NXS 5.5-22 and a good brake. Calling my own shots was a pleasure. You'll love it. I did.

I pick up an LMT MWS and installed their 20" 6.5CM barrel. Even with out any load work up it a sub moa gun. Once I have enough rounds and start working up a load, I don't think it will be hard to 1/2 moa out of a factory auto loader.

The 6.5CM is an easy load to get sub moa accuracy. Several powders work well. Or off the shelve factory ammo still shoots very well. I started shooting 6.5CM in a custom bolt gun because almost none of the manufacturer had pick up the round in their production guns. Origianlly I was going to build a 6.5x47, but a friend convinced me to go with the Creedmoor.

As I said in an earlier post that A/10 Armilite I put together that it shot one ragged hole at 100 yards. Well it still shoots a very tight group at 1000 yards

Attachments

• 20151021_123531.jpg
    20151021_123531.jpg
    232.7 KB · Views: 129
Had GA Precision build me one in 6.5 Creedmoor once it settled in after cleaning it shot a .151 CTC 3 shot group at 100 yards. With the APA Little Jimmy brake and 129 Hornady SST ammo recoil was almost nonexistent. Definitely made me rethink my fondness for big boomers.

DPMS lower with Fulton Criterion 24" tube. Timney trigger.
Throws Hornady 140 ELD stock ammo at 2850.
Added Burris Eliminator III.
It's my speed no brainer setup I can engage from 50 yds to 1200 in seconds. If there are 15 steel targets outs to 1200 I can hit them faster alone than any 2 man team can.
I have some traditional LR stuff but for hunting deer sized critters or yotes, this thing is totally unbelievable. Yeah a calculated lazed and spotted combo may be a hair more accurate BUT I will have killed it 6 times by the time the 1st shot is made.

I like the 6.5 creedmore big time after borrowing a friends 6.5. For me it has the perfect balance between shootabilty/recoil and long range potency. And of course inherent accuracy and economy blah blah

I have a never shot as new hs precision 6.5 bolt gun sitting on the rack. I look at it every day and think about taking it to the range and popping its cherry OR selling it to build a nice 6.5 in ar platform.

The only things I would do with my 6.5 is shoot steel n develop accuracy loads and take it to the high desert for coyotes n rock chucks. A semi auto would be the ticket for shooting at long range moving targets due to less recoil, spotting your hits etc but then that hs rifle is so light, portable and well balanced....

I dunno but I do know I dont want/need a 6.5 in both platforms. I do have a really nice accurized 223 ar with a 16in woa bbl .9 to .76 dia. but its more of a 300yd gun.

I am not a super ar pro but have used them quite a bit. Is there by any chance a way to minimize case damage with an ar? Better extractor? cushion the case deflector with rubber or? ****** the cycle rate? or?

I am kind of a brass freak and put alot of work into having uniform cases etc and I guess case life is one of my biggest concerns with going the ar route. I did buy an e&l brass catcher for my 223 and its works like a charm so that problem is solved at least.

Any input appreciated!

My brass particularly the head looks like crap after about 3-4 firings. I'm don't know that one can avoid it in an AR. I retired my first batch of 50 cases a while ago they had 8 firings on them I was starting to get case head separation but that was my fault I some how manage to misadjust my sizing die and was bumping the shoulder 15 thousandths instead of 3 thousandths.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.