Newbish to ar platform lets talk 6.5 creedmoor

joe0121

I would like to build an AR chamber in 6.5 creedmoor and whether there is a compelling reason to use it over .308?

Idea is semi auto with killing power on small to medium game out to 600 yards.

I'm thinking 18 inch tube.

Accuracy with factory ammo 1.2 MOA or less and with hand loads sub MOA

I'm thinking two stage trigger

Budget is 1400 sans optics. I also want to BUILD this myself for a couple reasons:

First So can learn the AR platform from the inside out, second so I can buy individual parts and spread the cost out over time.

Advice on components/vendors and sources of info would be much appreciated. gun)

Last edited:
Get the "Competitive AR15 Builders Guide" by Glen Zediker. It is about the AR15, but applies to building the AR10 in almost all areas. I shoot an AR10 in 243, 308 in 18" and 24", 260, and 300 SAUM. All are DPMS and shoot well. For 200 to 300 yards I would be fine with the shorter barrel length, but would prefer the 22" to 24" if shooting 600 yards. You will like the 6.5 Creedmoor.

Do you want to go ar15 or ar10 is the first real decision point. The price difference in builds is a lot and the price difference in mags is even more. The 6.5 is toward the long range max you can get out of an ar15 and the low end out of the ar10. If I wanted to shoot anything other than PD's or coyotes out to 600 I would go with the ar10. If you get the brownells AR catalog it will give you a good idea of what's available as well as common tools to work on them. It may be cheaper to shop the net and buy the stuff but the catalog gives you one place to look at.

The ar10 does have a few different models of lowers out there so make sure your parts are designed to work together. They can also use different mags to keep that in mind when starting. Get a lower, then LPK and stock. If you want a light trigger either buy a 2 stage match or take it to a smith that works on these triggers often. It's not a good place to try your first ever trigger job. These can be put together with very few tools. If you get that together and want to just buy an upper your set. If you want to piece together an upper you will spend more on tools than you will save buying off the rack.

These guns can be lego's for adults but don't be fooled, if you don't know how to check headspace or your drilling gas ports and such you can not only start ruining barrels but getting yourself into dangerous situations!

You can just buy a DPMS 24" 6.5 Creedmoor uppper from a retailer like MidwayUsa for about $800 with no waiting. Use it with a DPMS lower. It's not as exciting as building your own from assorted parts but it's a lot easier. There is little cost saving in building your own unless you want custom options. DPMS factory triggers aren't made for precision shooting, but a Jewell or Geissele AR-15 trigger is a drop in.

The 308 Win gives higher short range energy and longer barrel life. The 6.5 CM gives about 400 yards longer supersonic range with less wind deflection at any range, and more terminal energy at long range. I'd suggest you compare the ballistics of the ammo you'd use in the atmosphere where you shoot. Choose based on how far you want to shoot and the termainal ballistics you need. . Ammo availabily favors the 308 but I've never had a problem finding loaded ammo or components for the 6.5 CM either. ( own both 308Win and 6.5CM 24" DPMS rifles, both with PRS stocks. Both are set up for prone supported shooting. They are around 12 lbs with scopes. I would not say one is "better" but they have different applicatons.

Last edited:
You will really enjoy the 6.5 Creedmoor!
Great ammunition from a factory box at reasonable prices.
You can raise the velocity and experiment with various bullets depending on your needs/desires.
Less recoil, flatter trajectory, FAR less wind drift and easy accuracy.

I would skip the two stage trigger and get an AR Gold. They are to semi autos what a Jewell is for the bolt gun.

Are you planning to chamber your own barrel or purchase from a gunsmith?

Most of the large frame gas guns use the LaRue/SR25/DPMS magazines these days. The LaRue magazine is extremely smooth...

Have fun
MV

Thanks for the info! especially on the AR Gold. I think I'll go with the 6.5 and save a .308 for a build on a savage action. I know a few guys who are really into AR's so I wont be going it alone. I enjoy working on them I bedded and did a trigger job on my Mini 14 as well as installed an adjustable gas black and strong op rod spring. With Hornady Tap ammo it shoots inside 2 inches, which is all you could want from a mini I'm not dropping the money on a new tube when you could buy a whole AR lower for the price of a mini tube. So I'm done with the mini. gun)

I know this is an old post but I'm wondering if anyone on here knows what the gas port hole size is for the 6.5 Creedmoor? Thanks

Just a thought for your build. I am guessing you want the Creedmore to shoot 140s. If, however, you aren't pinned to the heavy bullets; have you thought about the 6.5 Grendel? It shoots the 120 to 123s with exceptional accuracy and knockdown punch to the 600 yards you spoke of. (Bullet placement is the key to success.)The real plus is that it can be built on the AR 15 platform. Shooting it suppressed is fantastic! But, you can shoot the Creedmore suppressed too. I've got a 260 in an AR10 and didn't think it was "bulky" til I got the Grendel. Oh, and you can get a lot of variety of brass in 260 but not so much in the Creedmore. In the 260, any brass will shoot fine. There's not a nats' butt difference in the cartridges. Just my 2 cents. Big difference in a 15 vs. a 10.

There was an article in shooting times a few months back comparing the various AR calibers. The four they spoke of were the .223, 6.8 spc, 6.5 Grendel, and the .308. It was a vary informative article, comparing ballistics of all four. Of the four, the nudge went to the 6.5 Grendel for all around performance.

I personally would like an AR10 .308. I have put together a build list on another thread under the AR 15/10 thread. I do not own a .308 and think it would be something I would like to build in the near future. If I wouldn't have recently had built a 6.5-284, I would do the Grendel.

I have more than a few AR based precision rifles in various calibers.

The AR15 based rifles are extremely handy, and can handle targets for quite a ways. My favorite in this platform is a 6mm Fat Rat (Grendel case body and shoulder slightly blown out for increased powder capacity and necked down to 6mm). It is an awesome gun that shoots little groups with 105g bullets at 2800 with a 24" barrel from a magazine.

For hunting big game or any serious unknown distance target work, I have the large frame guns and the 6.5 Creedmoor is my favorite. 140g bullets at 2850 leave a serious mark on what they hit.

Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.