Vihta Vuori N133 in a 6.5 Grendel AR?

KiloTango

Since it seems VV N133 is so popular with the 6PPC benchrest crowd, I was wondering how an AR with the 6.5 Grendel would like VV N133. The Grendel is based on the same case as the PPC, the bullet diameters aren't dramatically different, and the burn rate is even close to H335. Anyone ever use it in a Grendel?
Thanks,
Ken

It may not have the correct burn rate for the ARs gas system. You may have to go to the 500 series. N140 wouldn't work in my 6x47 Lapua but N560 did.

Just remembered....You may want to try Accurate 2520 with the 123 gr. bullets. According to Alexander Arms, it gave high velocities. I've used in other cal. ARs and found it to be very, very accurate.

Not sure on that, think it is too fast. Powders that seem to work for 6.5 Grendel and 123gr projectiles.

AA 2520
TAC
These were the early to favorites.

XBR 8208
CFE 223
Leverevolution
These have been more in favor lately. But don't count out the first two.

I have have used all but CFE.

I use N133, but in a 223 Remington AR-15, which happens to be the accuracy load from Sierra for 52/52 grain bullets. I tried it and it seemed to work great, plus it has a reputation for being clean burning. I know this is not all so applicable to the 6.5 Grendel, but it does seem to work in a semi-auto. I will say I have a few failure to pick up a new round from the mag with it, but think that was due to another problem.

Phil

Phil3, IMHO, I think you should re-examine the 133 powder. Not having the proper burn rate does lead, among other problems, to short stroking and not picking up the next round. I'm no expert, but I do think that unless you found another culprit for your short strokes/failure to feed, the powder could very well be it.

Phil3, IMHO, I think you should re-examine the 133 powder. Not having the proper burn rate does lead, among other problems, to short stroking and not picking up the next round. I'm no expert, but I do think that unless you found another culprit for your short strokes/failure to feed, the powder could very well be it.

I do recognize this, but was having the same problems with Hodgdon H322 powder. This and the N133 have similar burn rates, so both could be responsible for the short stroking. Both loads were starting loads, also possible contributors. I know of others who have used both powders in an AR15 without trouble, but will try slower burning powders to keep gas pressure high by the time the bullet passes by the gas port in hopes that will drive bolt carrier fully rearward. The H322, according to Hodgdon is even faster burning than the N133. I also have Reloder 15 and Varget, both notably slower burning, but perhaps too slow for the 52/52 grain bullets I am shooting.

Upon cleaning of the weapon, I found the bolt to be somewhat dry, which can lead to short stroking. I plan to take it out again freshly lubed and various loads of N133 and H322 to see what happens. I did not have any short stroking problems with Blackhills 223 Remington 55 FMJ ammo, but those were the first rounds I shot, and I did notice that the short stroking got worse over time, even though my hand loads were getting hotter. This is what made me suspect a gun problem. Also, surprisingly, the Blackhills showed pressure signs with flattened primers, ejector mark smears and impression from the extractor seam in the bolt face. My hand loads showed no such signs.

Phil

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts