ar bolt noise

agd1953

gun)Ok, I am the parking place to start the stand. I'm quite, drove in no lights, close the door quietly. Then I chamber a round in the ar and it make that god awful metalic noise that could wake the dead. Any solutions? I've tried slow feed but unless you drop the bolt it won't chamber the round. Any sugestions?

If it was me, I might try to load up right before I got out of the truck. That's just me though, I'm always on private land. I don't know your personal preference or local & state laws. I don't know of any "fixes" for the racket.

Thanks, I guess Icould do that. I live in Utah and have a concealed weapons permit so a loading the gun in the truck is somthing I could do but it makes me a little uneasy to do that.

Driving up would scare em just as much a letting the bolt go home. But, I would also suggest doing it in the truck ...... but, after turning off the truck. So, you aren't chambering in a running vehicle. Big deal here in WA state.

Either that, or wrap the whole reciever in a blanket or something, maybe a large towel, to hide the noise alittle.

You must have a really quiet truck..... I think if the coyotes could hear the bolt slam they heard the truck as well. I try and be as quiet as possible as well so I feel your pain but I am not sure it is a big deal.

Have you considered soft chambering the round and then using the forward assist to finish seating it in the chamber?

Thanks for the reply. If I release the bolt slowly it fails to clear the round from the mag. The bolt just stops when trying to pick up the round.

Thanks for the reply. If I release the bolt slowly it fails to clear the round from the mag. The bolt just stops when trying to pick up the round.

When you get out of the truck, or even after you get to your stand...
Remove one round from the mag BY HAND
Insert the round in the chamber BY HAND
Ease the bolt forward until it stops on the case.
Finish seating the round in the chamber with the forward assist.
When it's fully seated...insert your mag and you're ready to roll.

I don't always clean my barrel between hunting trips, because it usually doesn't need it.
I ALWAYS clean my bolt, carrier and barrel extension, so that I never have issues quietly chambering a round.

Easy peasy.

When you get out of the truck, or even after you get to your stand...
Remove one round from the mag BY HAND
Insert the round in the chamber BY HAND
Ease the bolt forward until it stops on the case.
Finish seating the round in the chamber with the forward assist.
When it's fully seated...insert your mag and you're ready to roll.

I don't always clean my barrel between hunting trips, because it usually doesn't need it.
I ALWAYS clean my bolt, carrier and barrel extension, so that I never have issues quietly chambering a round.

Easy peasy.
+1. I chamber a round before I get out of the truck... when I remember to. Most of the time I do the hand load, then forword assist method as well.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.