Varmint AR?

So I just got off the phone with Paul at Compass Lake Engineering. Seemed like a great dude. I have PILE of 50gr. 223 Vmax bullets..... and no 223 rifle haha. So I figured I do an AR style instead of a bolt action. I know literally absolutely nothing about AR's, which is why I did some research and ended up just calling compass lake. After about 20 minutes on the phone, and my main desires being an accurate, varmint style AR, I ended up with:

20" Heavy Varmint Bartein 1-7.7 twist, with a round aluminum upper and bipod pic rail at the front.
Trigger Tech Diamond single stage 1.5lbs
PRS Gen3 butt stock. (I wanted something adjustable with a bag shelf for target shooting)

I live in CA, so he also has to do some random stuff to make it CA legal.

But am I missing anything?
Sounds like a nice pew. 👌 Take it out and shoot! Will do a nice job on varmints. Too bad about the CA living handcuffs/adjustments. One of the reasons I moved. Stay safe and have fun!

Good choice! Just got my own Compass Lake barrel. Upper is built, waiting for a range day.

For whatever reason all my better built uppers have Lantac "Enhanced" NiB BCG's in them. I see them as the Easy Button choice. Maybe there's better out there, but these have worked well for me and I like them.

+Eleventeen on the clamp-on gas blocks. I don't own a set-screw GB and those that are pinned on came from Colt that way. For adjustable I just pony up for the Superlative Arms GB's. The first adjustable that I bought was one of theirs and it worked extremely well so I've not tried others.

For a round tube handguard my preference are those made by Apex. Can add the full length top rail if you need or want it, but don't have to screw it on if you don't and didn't buy one.

+Eleventeen again on the JP Silent Spring as well.

Triggers are hard. There's a reason why there are so many different units out there. I think that I like the Jard the best of those that I've shot, but honestly I shoot the ALG-ACT's a LOT more often. They're just not what I'd suggest for a build like yours.

Just updating this thread since I received the gun from Compass Lake and went and shot it today. The only CA legal change is that horrid grip you see 😅😅. The gun shoots excellent, especially for shooting some 12 year old Fiocchi factory ammo lol.
1341DD19-0135-4ECF-A7D0-C45E08AEB508.jpeg

He's a 5 shot 100 yard group for zero
22EBF028-2A5E-434F-BB55-4BC028EBC1B1.jpeg

The next 5 shots at 305 yards
966F458A-970B-464F-A470-34145CFE6F1F.jpeg

I like it when the story has a good ending!

Looks like you got the hang of it pretty quick. Get a brass catcher so you don't have to search for your brass in the grass and dirt. Even if you are not going to reload that brass, it helps keep liter to a minimum.

I like it when the story has a good ending!

Looks like you got the hang of it pretty quick. Get a brass catcher so you don't have to search for your brass in the grass and dirt. Even if you are not going to reload that brass, it helps keep liter to a minimum.
Oh good call! I had cases littered all over hell to pick up lol.

Yep happy ending. With only 25 rounds down the barrel, I can tell it is exactly what I was hoping it would be 🤙🏼

Looking good!

FWIW To my great chagrin I'm finding that I prefer the "featureless" grips for shooting off a bench.

The idea behind them is that you can't wrap your thumb around/over the grip below the bore center-line. That makes it not a "pistol grip". The whole thinking is flawed, but we're talking about A-2A folks, so their whole being is flawed.

Looking good!

FWIW To my great chagrin I'm finding that I prefer the "featureless" grips for shooting off a bench.

The idea behind them is that you can't wrap your thumb around/over the grip below the bore center-line. That makes it not a "pistol grip". The whole thinking is flawed, but we're talking about A-2A folks, so their whole being is flawed.
Okay gotcha! Yeah it just felt like shooting a regular ol rifle. We definitely have some dumb people implementing laws around here haha

So I just got off the phone with Paul at Compass Lake Engineering. Seemed like a great dude. I have PILE of 50gr. 223 Vmax bullets..... and no 223 rifle haha. So I figured I do an AR style instead of a bolt action. I know literally absolutely nothing about AR's, which is why I did some research and ended up just calling compass lake. After about 20 minutes on the phone, and my main desires being an accurate, varmint style AR, I ended up with:

20" Heavy Varmint Bartein 1-7.7 twist, with a round aluminum upper and bipod pic rail at the front.
Trigger Tech Diamond single stage 1.5lbs
PRS Gen3 butt stock. (I wanted something adjustable with a bag shelf for target shooting)

I live in CA, so he also has to do some random stuff to make it CA legal.

But am I missing anything?
It really depends on how you want to hunt with it. I've used a 16" M4 barreled AR15 for decades, it was a decent truck gun/ walking stick. Last few years I threw on a HBAR barrel and have dumped rats, badgers and yotes with it. Neither of those were free floated, just a duty match trigger and USGI bolt. I tend to like walking sticks for my hunting. But I do have bolt rifles in the 12-13 lb range for longer ranges. Bolt rifles are easier to spot hits with. But slung up on a AR or holding the forearm helps with spotting your shots. Big things are a good trigger, accuracy and reliable. Sounds like you got it covered.

its a bolt gun what has to be done, we put together several bolt ars every year here in kommyfornia, and nothing special until you put a semi auto upper on them at that point several things need to be addressed to be compliant here. i know it is a bit dated post but could not help my self