Varmint AR?

I'm WAY behind on this thread! Glad the build turned out great for you! To bad there's no way to vote enough better politicians in to save the state from falling off into the ocean! Best of luck for any of those states with these ridiculous requirements on any firearm!

its a bolt gun what has to be done, we put together several bolt ars every year here in kommyfornia, and nothing special until you put a semi auto upper on them at that point several things need to be addressed to be compliant here. i know it is a bit dated post but could not help my self
Built straight pull bolt upper just to see how well or not, it would work. Shot it maybe 20 rounds and put it away. Seemed to hit what I was aiming at, but I didn't subject it to rigorous testing as I needed it's scope for another project. I built it out of compliance with KA AR laws, but also made it so that only that upper and a .22LR upper will work on it. Can not close a std. auto-loading upper on that lower.

So I just got off the phone with Paul at Compass Lake Engineering. Seemed like a great dude. I have PILE of 50gr. 223 Vmax bullets..... and no 223 rifle haha. So I figured I do an AR style instead of a bolt action. I know literally absolutely nothing about AR's, which is why I did some research and ended up just calling compass lake. After about 20 minutes on the phone, and my main desires being an accurate, varmint style AR, I ended up with:

20" Heavy Varmint Bartein 1-7.7 twist, with a round aluminum upper and bipod pic rail at the front.
Trigger Tech Diamond single stage 1.5lbs
PRS Gen3 butt stock. (I wanted something adjustable with a bag shelf for target shooting)

I live in CA, so he also has to do some random stuff to make it CA legal.

But am I missing anything?
Good morning! Get a good two stage trigger.
Geissle, Timney, TriggerTech come to mind.
There's more out there I'm sure. But the 2 stage is the way to go.

Then vote them out of office if they don't help you out.
Thats a good fantasy, but the reality (especially in California) is that the cities have way too many hand-out loving liberals to ever move the politics back even just to center.
Same thing in Oregon, Minnesota, and probably in pretty much all of the Lib states.

Thats a good fantasy, but the reality (especially in California) is that the cities have way too many hand-out loving liberals to ever move the politics back even just to center.
Same thing in Oregon, Minnesota, and probably in pretty much all of the Lib states.
Doesn't mean you can't try by going to the poles EVERY time.

Doesn't mean you can't try by going to the poles EVERY time

Sorry, double post.

Doesn't mean you can't try by going to the poles EVERY time.
I voted every time when I lived down there, it didn't make a dent. Because when you have programs giving out freebies you are basically buying votes. During presidential elections the popular vote doesn't decide the election. The electoral college vote does. Illegal aliens affects the electoral college votes. There is are possible ways to bring things back to the center. One is if things get bad enough that people will say enough is enough.

If you firmly believe in your position, you will continue to vote out the politicians that you disagree with. It can take years. Don't stop/quit. This is the way we Americans do things. Always utilize your right to vote. It's the most basic right we have. Consider this, most countries don't have or allow this "right".

Enough on politics. Not going to hijack this thread.

If you firmly believe in your position, you will continue to vote out the politicians that you disagree with. It can take years. Don't stop/quit. This is the way we Americans do things. Always utilize your right to vote. It's the most basic right we have. Consider this, most countries don't have or allow this "right".

Enough on politics. Not going to hijack this thread.
After 30 years of voting down there I just ended up moving. I'll add that even though I trained police officers and am a honorably discharged veteran it was very difficult to near impossible to get a CCW in CA. I move to Oregon which is a liberal state and walk in with a stack of credentials far surpassing the requirements for a CWP and walk out finished and waiting for my ID. That's not even scratching the surface of the liberal controlled CA.

Last edited:
Having lived here long enough I can say that this was a fine State before the carpet baggers moved in. Anyone recall when it was called the Granola State, full of Fruits, Nuts, and Flakes?

But enough about that. Above is a suggestion for a two stage trigger. I've never liked those. Someone makes or made a single set trigger for an AR. At the time that I saw the unit it was beyond my budget, but I really wish that I had bought one.
^^^ Typing that inspired me to search and I found it: https://jardinc.com/ar-set and ordered one.

Having lived here long enough I can say that this was a fine State before the carpet baggers moved in. Anyone recall when it was called the Granola State, full of Fruits, Nuts, and Flakes?

But enough about that. Above is a suggestion for a two stage trigger. I've never liked those. Someone makes or made a single set trigger for an AR. At the time that I saw the unit it was beyond my budget, but I really wish that I had bought one.
^^^ Typing that inspired me to search and I found it: https://jardinc.com/ar-set and ordered one.
Cool type for a slow or single shot. As they designed it, it does have more stable pull in weight (good thing). What gets me is watching other do trigger pull test and change the angle and/or placement where trigger contact is. I'll say it has a lot better cool factor than my tac-con's (241 & 3mr)!

After 30 years of voting down there I just ended up moving. I'll add that even though I trained police officers and am a honorably discharged veteran it was very difficult to near impossible to get a CCW in CA. I move to Oregon which is a liberal state and walk in with a stack of credentials far surpassing the requirements for a CWP and walk out finished and waiting for my ID. That's not even scratching the surface of the liberal controlled CA.
There are some places that will never change. Best leave them to their own devices. Nuff said.