308 predator/varmint Bullet

Travis1971

Any advice for 308 varmint/predator bullets? I got a good deal on a 308 predator rifle (twist is 1:10)so I figured I would loads some ammo for primarily coyotes and see what I can do?

Last edited:
Hey Travis,
Sierra makes some great coyote/match bullets. I would start with the tipped Match Kings in the lower weights. (125-155)
Just my opinion, now make sure we get pics!!!
Thanks, Kirk

Are you wanting to save the pelts? Coyotes aren't to hard to kill. If you just want to eliminate them, find what ever load shoots the best, or what you want to hunt other things with and go have fun. The good old SST should shoot pretty good, and make a nice mess.

I would like to do the least amount of damage to the pelt as possible, if there is no saving it with a 30 cal, then I'm fine with that. I was just wondering if there was a bullet that I could use and not make a complete mess of it, were it was still salvageable.

I shot a few things with SMKs out of my 260. They just penciled through each time. I shot one raccoon inside of 100 yds that was facing me. I hit it square on. It ran away and climbed a tree. I shot it again to finish the job. The first bullet went all the way through it long ways, with no real damage. That was the last time I ever used those bullets. Honestly, I shoot 140 SSTs out of the 260 now, at pretty much everything that gives me the chance. Exit holes on coyotes are usually quarter sized. There are two exit holes it the attached picture. Both are from a 140 gr SST out of the 260 just inside of 100 yds.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    301.1 KB · Views: 640
I would like to do the least amount of damage to the pelt as possible, if there is no saving it with a 30 cal, then I'm fine with that. I was just wondering if there was a bullet that I could use and not make a complete mess of it, were it was still salvageable.

any of the sierra game king HPbt's. They just punch a hole without expanding

150 Grain remington core lokts make them very dead. Awful hard on fur though.
I have been wondering how well 308 FMJ's would put them down. Haven't tried it yet since I almost always take along my pet 223. I'm sure they'd pencil through without pelt damage just not sure if it would anchor them.

Sierra has a new .30 cal. 135gr hp specifically for varmint/predator hunting. From I read it should be fur friendly.

110 Varmageddon has been out and in the market for quite some a long time

110 V-Max is another pretty good performer on predators

Personally I would prefer using Bal-Tips or SST's in normal weight and take advantage of the lesser wind drift

not to bring up an old thread but what did you decide on your .308 bullet for varmints. I am going on a hunt at the end of the month and was thinking of taking my 308 for some longer range stuff. Right now I use the 178 amax, will this put a big hole in a fox or coyote? Im looking to keep the furs, so putting a big hole in these critters is not what im looking to do.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.