AR-15 upgrade or build

6mm06guy

Ok guys, I just picked up a used dpms oracle cheap, $300. And I have ran several different factory and handloads through it, best accuracy has been aprox. 1.5". I just picked up some h335 to try over the next few weeks. Is this the best accuracy the gun will get or can i change some things for better accuracy? This is my first ar and I was hoping for a little better groups. Any info would be great. I'm hoping to shoot prairie dogs from 100-400 yards. Dpms web site says the gun is a 1-9 twist barrel and the gun says .233 or 556 if any one is wondering.

Would I be better off building a better quality gun, modifying this one or just another bolt gun for what I'm wanting to do? I would like to stick with the 223 for high volume shooting

It is the factory plastic drop in, I looked at a Midwest industries free float, but there kinda high... but if the group's will improve that much I could justify it

It is the factory plastic drop in, I looked at a Midwest industries free float, but there kinda high... but if the group's will improve that much I could justify it

you should be able to find a free float tube for around $100

Lots of things you can do to improve the accuracy

M4 forum has a lot of good info

It is a whole lot easier to get a bolt gun to shoot than an AR. If you are used to the accuracy of a bolt gun you will never be happy with an AR.

but AR's are fun to shoot as long as you realize the limitations.

I have actually had really good luck with accuracy out of the AR platform. Other than the free float I would also look into switching out the trigger. Giesel Triggers, Elf's Timneys, lots of trigger options out there. Right now I am running under MOA with factory ammo but looking to run this rig out to as far as I can and want to make it as good as I can. Optics can also make a big difference. There is a lot of good information on there for you. I can assure you the AR platform is really accurate.

Welcome to the dark side! AR's are addicting... you've been warned. :D

Another trigger option is to spend $25 on two parts: The 3.5lb spring kit from Midwayusa and the Grip Screw Trigger Adjuster from JoeBobOutfitters.

Some complain of light primer strikes but I haven't had any in a few hundred rounds.

Many AR's can be very accurate. If you keep the 16 inch standard profile barrel, you'll do alright. Can probably get it at least 1 inch groups at 100 yards.

Or you could put on a Bump Fire Systems stock on your cheap AR15 for a different kind of fun and build a 6mm AR Turbo 40 for your 100-400+ yard prairie dog gun.

Welcome to the dark side! AR's are addicting... you've been warned. :D

Another trigger option is to spend $25 on two parts: The 3.5lb spring kit from Midwayusa and the Grip Screw Trigger Adjuster from JoeBobOutfitters.

Some complain of light primer strikes but I haven't had any in a few hundred rounds.

Many AR's can be very accurate. If you keep the 16 inch standard profile barrel, you'll do alright. Can probably get it at least 1 inch groups at 100 yards.

Or you could put on a Bump Fire Systems stock on your cheap AR15 for a different kind of fun and build a 6mm AR Turbo 40 for your 100-400+ yard prairie dog gun.

I am eagerly awaiting delivery of my 6mm ar turbo from Robert. should be here soon. It has been almost 2 months since I ordered it.

here is a link to what the builder of the turbo says is important in building an accurate AR http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com...curate-ar-robert-whitley-explains-what-works/

I bought the cheaper sportical to pack in my ranch truck, I put a troy free float rail on it and a trigger and that Thing shoots 1 inch groups at 300!!!!!!!

AR's can be exceptionally accurate. Mine give up little, if anything to the bolt rifles when competing in 200 and 300 yard egg shoots and have claimed wins on numerous occasions. My 223 and 6mmAR's shoot sub .5MOA/5shot. My 223 is a Varmint 24" barreled DPMS upper from Midway that cost around $500, and a Richard Whitely 6mmAr with a Hart barrel. I have found the Hyoerfire trigger at 2.5# to be superb.

Heya... I think the suggestions on the accuwedge and trigger are sound advice. The stock trigger on most DPMS rifles is sad to say the least. It's the first part I replaced on both of my DMPS semis. I have a sweet 16 223 and a LR308B in 308 obviously. The former with a heavy stainless 16" bull barrel and the latter with an 18" bull barrel. Both shoot amazing groups once I changed the trigger out. The Sweet 16 will put American Eagle 50gr Varmint Tips in a .3x" group box after box... and the LR308b does .5x groups with Hornady 150gr American Whitetail. These aren't exaggerations.

The trigger(s) are the only upgrades I've made to the rifles except the accuwedge for the 223. Definitely worth every penny. Went with both Timney and Jard. Both are sweet... the Jard is amazing... but a real pain to get set properly. I'd go Timney next time because it's easy as pie to install, and my rifle is shooting .3x moa with that Timney in it!

I know DPMS produces some accurate rifles right outta the box... with a little help. Here's to hoping yours is one of them.​

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.