AR-15 failing to feed and gouging bullets, help!

eod.mickelson

Okay, first, this is a Seekins rifle and I know they'll take a look at it and have amazing customer service, but I'd prefer to not have to part with it for now.

Just picked up a new to me seekins SP15 DMR, 700 rounds on it from previous owner. Previous owner is very trustworthy and had no issues with it.

I have been having issues with feeding, about 25% of the time. I'll attach photos but it seems like the rounds are getting stuck on the feedramps. I have felt the feed ramps and don't feel burrs, I lightly went over them with an Emory cloth and there was no change.

I also noticed that ejecting a live round, no matter which side of the mag they feed from, the projectiles are gouged.

Is this a mag problem (tried a 40 rounds, 30 round, and 10 rounds pmag)? Is there anything I'm missing that could be causing this?
Thanks!
Dan

Attachments

• 20240112_193525.jpg
    20240112_193525.jpg
    196 KB · Views: 70
  • 20240112_193533.jpg
    20240112_193533.jpg
    223.9 KB · Views: 59
  • 20240112_141955.jpg
    20240112_141955.jpg
    170.2 KB · Views: 71
Yup- don't use pmags-- try a metal mag--- most likely the feed lips of the mag need to be tweaked so the bullet presents itself at a "nose up" angle-- you can't really tweak the feed lips of a Poly mag, that's why I like metal mags-- and to add more- SS mags are thinner so you can load longer too if handloading

If your feed ramp needs to be modified, a chainsaw file works best for that, and/or you can polish it with flitz on a felt buffing wheel of a dremel tool

I'll add that I've never had ar ar that was very accurate with green tips--- I'd use those for spray n pray or plinking bit not an accuracy round for sure...and they usually cost more than they should

Last edited:
can you find out what mags the previous owner used?

it looks like the middle "fin" of the barrel extension feed ramp is causing those gouges, judging from the 2nd pic. I usually smooth that out, knock off some of the sharpness, and polish, before I install the barrel in the receiver on my builds to avert exactly that kind of symptom. But the bullet tip should be riding up the trough to the left or right of that fin, not hitting the divider fin dead-on.

is the barrel clocked nicely? i.e. the barrel extension M4 feed ramps lining up with the receiver M4 feed ramps? or are the off a smidgeon?

I've found PMAGS in AR-15's with plain-Jane Green Tip to be ho-hum ultra reliable. 25% feed failures is unusual.

I heard back from him earlier today, he used 20 round lancer and ARstoner mags.

It does appear clocked appropriately, especially as compared to my other ARs. I did lightly emory cloth the feed ramp a bit and there are no burrs on it that I can feel.

If using the same type of mag that he did doesn't fix it, Ill probably send it back to Seekins to have them take a look.

I don't have a Seekins rifle or upper, but do use pmags and other poly mags with 62lap ammo. Never any issues feeding or extracting thus far. I do have some lancer, but use them for 300bo only.

Does it eject at the correct position (clock wise).