Need help to decided on ar 15 caliber

Watched my son knock another 200 pound boar on his butt at 97 meters with the 300 BLK last night with Pulsar Thermal. 110 gr Barnes X going about 2200fps. I know 300 BLK doesnt get much love here but it got her done again.

Having hunted pig in the past in Texas, we were very close to them so range wasn't the biggest concern. I would personally say 458 SOCOM if your walking around flushing them out or .308 (AR10) or 6.5 Grendel (AR15) if your sitting in a blind at distance. That's just me personally, and depends on how your planning to hunt. I want something that can put it down quickly, walking through the bush and a big pig rushes you, you want to stop the charge.

I've done pigs from stands and feeders, night spot and stock with laser illuminators, Road hunters of America (cruising around in 4X4 or ATV with beer) Head shots from stands with super accurate 62 gr fmj going 3100 fps out of 20 inch ar 15's clear up through magnum 30 cal. I have a super accurate rem 700 SPS Varminter 243. 80 gr spbt at 3500 fps just downs piggies as do 100 gr spbt at 3200 fps.

I didn't jump on the 6.5 grendel wagon or the blackout. 30 years ago I owned a 7mm TCU I used it for antelope hunting. fire formed my 223 brass. I still have a box of shells. That would be an interesting ar-15 round

So along came the 6mm ARC I'm ordering the 24 inch barrel to get the most velocity. The 20 or 22 might be a good choice also. But I'm going to help the poor farmers out this winter.

https://www.hornady.com/assets/site/hornady/files/load-data/6mm-arc-gas-58-105gr-data.pdf

For a hog AR personally I'd go 450 bushmaster or 350 legend, depending on what's available there. Both of those rounds are great for pigs and at least where I live, the ammo is absolutely everywhere. 350 legend ammo is a lot cheaper ($12-20 a box of 20 vs $30 on the 450) but the 450 definitely has more stopping power.

If you want a shouldered cartridge for a bit more range I'd go with the 6.5 grendel or similar.

I am a 6.5 guy myself. Either Grendel or Creedmoor depending on what weight you want to haul around. I have and love both. I tend to like to tote the lighter Grendel around. Plenty enough for coyotes pigs and deer.

20210103_081014.jpg

20210103_095729.jpg

My dad tagged this 6.5yo buck with my 7.62x39 AR!

The little grendel is definitely an over achiever. It's also one of the most accurate cartridges I've ever played around with. Some day I will have to build a super light weight bolt gun in the grendel. No recoil to speak of from an ar either. Mine is a heavy barrel Les Baer and has a brake and the x hair doesn't even move at all when shooting it. It never fails to put a smile on my face. Being a Br shooter for over 30 yrs I have become sissified to recoil. 99% of ammo I shoot is done free recoil and the 6.5 grendel is a sweet heart. If you stick to the Alexander load data your brass will last a long time and so will the bolt. I have a spare bolt just in case but have never needed it. I'm looking at doing a 6arc next just to have another 6mm.
Shep

The little grendel is definitely an over achiever. It's also one of the most accurate cartridges I've ever played around with. Some day I will have to build a super light weight bolt gun in the grendel. No recoil to speak of from an ar either. Mine is a heavy barrel Les Baer and has a brake and the x hair doesn't even move at all when shooting it. It never fails to put a smile on my face. Being a Br shooter for over 30 yrs I have become sissified to recoil. 99% of ammo I shoot is done free recoil and the 6.5 grendel is a sweet heart. If you stick to the Alexander load data your brass will last a long time and so will the bolt. I have a spare bolt just in case but have never needed it. I'm looking at doing a 6arc next just to have another 6mm.
Shep
I am a diehard Grendel guy and also have ARC barrels from Odin!

I have a 6x45 for sale, if interested, @:

It's all gonna depend on your most likely hunting situations. I've shot many AR15-LR308/AR10 variations. All work under the right circumstances. So if you can clarify your hunting scenarios it would be a lot more helpful

Don't over think it. If you want to hunt hogs or any other big game animal with a AR platform only 1 choice. 308 cal. So much ammo out there. Cheap stuff through the good high dollar stuff. You can use it out to 800 yards if you ever wanted to get into long range shooting hobby. No brainer. MD