Applied Ballistics Mobile app now available for iPhone

BryanLitz

<b>Official LRH Sponsor</b>
The app which has been available on android for 2+ years is now available for iPhone:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/appl...9104?ls=1&mt=8

Thank you for your patience as we've been working on this for a very long time. As with any new software development, there may be bugs to work out so please reply to this thread if you see anything strange or misbehaving in the app.

Cedar Springs, MI – July 11, 2014 - Applied Ballistics is excited to announce the official release of the highly-anticipated iOS version of their mobile app, "Applied Ballistics Mobile"; allowing Apple iPhone and tablet owners to download and take advantage of the ballistic computing software that has become popular on the Android platform.

The Applied Ballistics Mobile App runs a Point Mass ballistic solver; the state of the art ballistic solver calculates long-range rifle trajectories, and along with the library of ballistic coefficients provided by Bryan Litz, makes this the most accurate and complete ballistics app available.

The program integrates the equations of ballistic motion numerically, using a 4th-order Runge-Kutta method ; the standard way of solving dynamic equations of motion in aircraft and missile simulations. Former missile design engineer, ballistician and President of Applied Ballistics, LLC, Bryan Litz wrote this solver, which is common among many of the Applied Ballistics devices – providing the same accuracy you expect.

The application also comes with G1 and G7 BC's for over 1,300 bullets- allowing users to easily select their bullet and have its data loaded into each individual ammo profile automatically.

"Applied Ballistics is thrilled to announce the release of this highly-sought iOS version of the Applied Ballistics mobile app," stated Litz. "We have worked extensively on this product with intense development to ensure we continue to offer our loyal customers with a solution to their ballistics computing. With the success of the Android version of the application – which was launched 2 years ago, the demand for the iOS version has been high, and we are excited to now offer a version that is compatible with iPhone as well."

The new mobile app accounts for all major and minor trajectory variables that a shooter could encounter. The app displays single shot solutions in HUD view or Reticle view, as well as multi-shot solutions in Reticle view, table and graph.

Shooters can enter their observed drop-at range and the program will calibrate; incorporating muzzle velocity and drop-scaling over various segments of the trajectory to 'true' the predictions based on actual bullet impact.

A web-sync feature allows you to store your rifle and ammunition libraries online for quick retrieval, as users are able to backup all the profiles online or restore them to a device.

Available now through iTunes https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/appl...9104?ls=1&mt=8, the Applied Ballistics Mobile App costs $29.99, and requires iOS 7.0 or later for proper functionality. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch devices, this app is optimized for iPhone 5.

About Applied Ballistics, LLC
Applied Ballistics' mission is to be the complete and unbiased source of external ballistics information for long- range shooters. We're highly active in R&D, constantly testing new claims, products and ideas for potential merit and dispensing with the marketing hype, which can make it so difficult for shooters to master the challenging discipline of long range shooting. We believe in the scientific method and promote mastery through understanding of the fundamentals. Our work is passed on to the shooting community in the form of instructional materials, which are easy to understand, and products such as ballistic software which runs on many platforms. If you're a long range shooter who's eager to learn about the science ofyour craft, we're here for you.
###

Based on the YouTube video showing the android version, it looks like this app is very similar to "Shooter". Are there real differences between the two? Also, with Shooter, even though you select DA in the preferences, you still have to input all of the atmosphere components when building an ammo profile. That never made sense to me. Is it the same in the Applied Ballistics app?

Bill,
AB Mobile is the 'advanced' version of Shooter. It's got all the same functionality and flow/format, plus some advanced features.
The most notable advanced features are:

Ballistic calibration for multiple ranges. This is where you enter your known drop at various ranges and the program self-corrects based on this and reflects the known drop into future predictions.

Reticle output view. For those who use holding reticles, this feature lets you see your hold in the context of a reticle. Fully functional with 'dial on' and magnification effects, this output view works in both single shot and table/trajectory modes.

Custom drag models available as in-app purchases. This is a pending feature in the iOS version (apple requirements pending). This feature gives you the ability to model the actual drag of specific bullets as an alternative to using BC's, which are standard drag curves referenced to standards (G1 or G7).

If your shooting needs are met with the Shooter app, then there's no reason to upgrade to AB Mobile, but we wanted to offer these high end features for those who need them.

Regarding DA and Shooter, it asks for temp so the program can account for the powder effects, and temp also effects speed of sound. In the environment section, you should only need to enter DA and temp. Using only DA would compromise accuracy by neglecting some known effects of temperature. Granted the effects are small, but they can't be accounted for without knowing temperature.

Take care,
-Bryan

Regarding DA and Shooter, it asks for temp so the program can account for the powder effects, and temp also effects speed of sound. In the environment section, you should only need to enter DA and temp. Using only DA would compromise accuracy by neglecting some known effects of temperature. Granted the effects are small, but they can't be accounted for without knowing temperature.

Take care,
-Bryan

Take care,
-Bryan

Bryan. Thanks for the information. I'm still confused about the DA inputting. I understand why the app asks for DA and temp in the current atmosphere section. That makes sense. If you are creating a new ammo profile and you have selected Use DA in the settings, however, you can't simply input DA. The app asks for altitude, temp, humidity & pressure. If you've chosen to use DA, shouldn't you be able to use DA in both the zero and current atmosphere inputs?

With that link (which appears to me to be identical to the first) I do get the page to open briefly but then get "The address wasn't understood".
But don't worry about it, Bryan. I use Firefox on a Linux OS so I suspect the issue is with my system, not yours. If I stop the process quickly, as soon as the page opens, I can avoid the "The address wasn't understood" error and read the info. Clicking the link changes the "https:" to "itmss" and it's the "itmss" component in the URL that Firefox doesn't understand.
This link: http://appliedballisticsllc.com/AB_app.htm worked better for me.
I just wanted to check it out so I could share it with other shooters in our club. Thanks for the help.

The app which has been available on android for 2+ years is now available for iPhone:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/appl...9104?ls=1&mt=8

Thank you for your patience as we've been working on this for a very long time. As with any new software development, there may be bugs to work out so please reply to this thread if you see anything strange or misbehaving in the app.

###

Hi Bryan,
There is an error in the bullet library for the 167gr Lapua Scenar. It does not give an option to select G1 or G7 and when you select the bullet, the app inputs a G7 BC of .47.

Will you be adding other reticles? I use a H59.

Also when you look at the preferences page, it would be helpful if the app showed the inputs that are currently selected.
Thanks,
Bill

Bill,
Thanks for your feedback. I've submitted the first two items to the developers for correction. Though I understand your third request, I'm not sure this is feasable for all cases but we'll look at it.
-Bryan

Bill,
Thanks for your feedback. I've submitted the first two items to the developers for correction. Though I understand your third request, I'm not sure this is feasable for all cases but we'll look at it.
-Bryan

Bryan,
Thanks for the quick reply. One more thing I noticed. In the instructions, under the "Atmosphere" section you have a great explanation of station vs barometric pressure. In the screen shot of the Applied Ballistics app, it appears that when "Pressure is Absolute" is selected, the "Altitude" option is greyed out. On the iPhone app, that doesn't happen. It would be helpful to have that happen on the iPhone app as well to avoid confusion between station and barometric pressure.
Thanks,
Bill

Attachments

• image019.jpg
    image019.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 165
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.