Anyone using PVA Cayuga bullets?

Congrats all around; enjoy lots of good eats.
Heck ya. I got one more to get, but I'm gonna use the 208 LRHT out of my 30 nosler to test on my cow. Wish I could have got a good sub half MOA load dialed in with the Badlands 205's.....that will be for next year.

On this cow, I was just happy it was only about a 500 yard pack out with only 150 ft elevation gain.....carrying a hide on rear and front quarter was on the heavy side ha ha!

I used the 151 Cayuga in my 7 Max on a couple trips this fall, in the Texas hill country last week and in Montana back in October. I'll cover Texas first:

First one was hit broadside from about 100 yards. Shot was offhand so I put it behind the shoulder to get some margin for error. Caliber size entry, exit maybe double that. Very little blood on the ground but he only made it about 40 yards.

4FD2C7E2-31EC-4767-A9B0-77D0596A6A63.jpeg

Second one was quartering to, about 100 yards, hit on the shoulder and exited back behind the ribs. Lots of blood on the ground, only made it 20-30 yards.

096242D2-0F3C-4E39-86C5-0FC20F90DF2F.jpeg

In the photos below you can see the caliber size entry wound in the shoulder of the second buck. I've got the shoulder pulled down so you can see the damage behind the shoulder. Exit wound was large.

63F74839-C5E3-4F4F-884B-00C0E647BEE6.jpeg 73294A92-0D99-4253-9896-F8A1E2A9A7BF.jpeg

Was able to shoot a few hogs (below). They were broadside shoulder hits and were both dead right there Bonus 'two for one' shot on one of them, got lined up with a piglet on the backside.

2FB566CF-0DE4-4594-A815-320DD261D35D.jpeg

Also used the Cayuga on a Montana Whitetail back in October. Shot was about 200 yards. High shoulder and he was dead right there.

B10955CF-DF75-4D5D-B4B0-3DA98C5BB9EB.jpeg

The accuracy on the 151 Cayuga's in my 7 Max has been incredible. 1/2 MOA groups or better out to 600 yards. Terminal performance is very good, making contact with the shoulder definitely improves expansion and either delivers an instant bang flop or a suitable blood trail, which so far results in an animal 40 yards or less away.

The only thing I don't like is I'm having to seat them so far out to get this accuracy that I've had several rounds come apart in my pocket or after cycling through the rifle. Other than that, they are outstanding.

Last edited:
I used the 151 Cayuga in my 7 Max on a couple trips this fall, in the Texas hill country last week and in Montana back in October. I'll cover Texas first:

First one was hit broadside from about 100 yards. Shot was offhand so I put it behind the shoulder to get some margin for error. Caliber size entry, exit maybe double that. Very little blood on the ground but he only made it about 40 yards.

View attachment 419837

Second one was quartering to, about 100 yards, hit on the shoulder and exited back behind the ribs. Lots of blood on the ground, only made it 20-30 yards.

View attachment 419838

In the photos below you can see the caliber size entry wound in the shoulder of the second buck. I've got the shoulder pulled down so you can see the damage behind the shoulder. Exit wound was large.

View attachment 419839 View attachment 419840

Was able to shoot a few hogs (below). They were broadside shoulder hits and were both dead right there Bonus 'two for one' shot on one of them, got lined up with a piglet on the backside.

View attachment 419841

Also used the Cayuga on a Montana Whitetail back in October. Shot was about 200 yards. High shoulder and he was dead right there.

View attachment 419842

The accuracy on the 151 Cayuga's in my 7 Max has been incredible. 1/2 MOA groups or better out to 600 yards. Terminal performance is very good, making contact with the shoulder definitely improves expansion and either delivers an instant bang flop or a suitable blood trail, which so far results in an animal 40 yards or less away.

The only thing I don't like is I'm having to seat them so far out to get this accuracy that I've had several rounds come apart in my pocket or after cycling through the rifle. Other than that, they are outstanding.
WHOA!

View attachment 419837

View attachment 419838

View attachment 419839 View attachment 419840

View attachment 419841

View attachment 419842

Maybe you could try the 170, and would get more bullet in the case mouth? As long as you have the twist for it

Maybe you could try the 170, and would get more bullet in the case mouth? As long as you have the twist for it
The advertised G7 bc of .375 on the 170 is attractive. I've got a 24" 1:8 twist. I'm pushing the 151's at 3040 with H1000, assuming the 170's would slow me down about 200 fps, so I entered 2840 in Strelok, gives me a stability factor of 1.53. This seems to be right on the edge of stability. I saw you're running the same twist with a shorter barrel at 2835 fps, are they flying good for you, any evidence of keyholing?

The advertised G7 bc of .375 on the 170 is attractive. I've got a 24" 1:8 twist. I'm pushing the 151's at 3040 with H1000, assuming the 170's would slow me down about 200 fps, so I entered 2840 in Strelok, gives me a stability factor of 1.53. This seems to be right on the edge of stability. I saw you're running the same twist with a shorter barrel at 2835 fps, are they flying good for you, any evidence of keyholing?
I'm using a 7.5 twist at 6,000+ elevation. With a 24" I would think you would get a little more than me? Either way though, I would think you would be good

PVA just released a 210 grain 30 cal Cayuga monolithic hunting bullet with a claimed .750 BC.
They look pretty awesome but I have no experience with their bullets.
Has anyone used the Cayugas ?
I tried the 180 Cayuga's about a year ago, they shot reasonably well, but 174 Hammer Hunters were more accurate in my 1- 10" T3X.

I found the 151s liked that 3390-3400fps area, as well as down around 3300-3310 in my 7max, they shot really well at 3400 but it was giving heavy ejector marks.
What was your load for this one and barrel length. Ive got a 22" and starting load dev.

My 7 Sherman max liked to run the 151 right at 3400-3450 which was a hot load, but imagine the rem mag should do it without much sweat.
What powder were you running and barrel length? Im getting ready to start working up a 22" 7 saum ai (very similar to 7max) with the 151s. Thinking to try 4831 and n555

My wife got an elk down with the 170 Cayuga, starting at 2835 fps from a 20" 7 Sherman max. 430 yards, impact velocity was around 2430 fps.

She made an excellent double lung hit with the typical Wyoming breeze, 20-30mph with the little crystal snowflakes stinging her in the face as she layed prone in the snow.

Complete pass through, about a 50 cent sized exit, cow turned and ran about 75 yards, leaving a fantastic blood trail, and tumbled down against some trees. Photo's tell the rest!

Entrance side
View attachment 414325

Blood trail....pretty easy to follow!
View attachment 414333

Exit after we rolled her over
View attachment 414327

Inside chest cavity after pulling out heart and lungs
View attachment 414329

Lungs, right side entrance left side exit
View attachment 414328

Entrance inside
View attachment 414330

Exit inside
View attachment 414331

After boning out - exit hole
View attachment 414332

Well, after using the 7mm 151's and 170's on several pronghorn, mule deer and elk, still no complaints. They seem to be extremely effective, expand and do damage well, can be pushed fast, and kill quickly. This cow sprinted for maybe 5-10 seconds before hitting the dirt. All that with a .375 G7, not much for 7mm 170 grain bullets out there to compete with that!
I know it's an old thread but it seems pretty clear to me that the Cayuga is, in fact, tumbling in this photo. The lung on the left looks like a keyholed target.

I imagine that's why they are causing so much damage.