Anyone shooting lead free 30-06?

Huntet87

I'm working on setting up my 30-06 hunting rifle
for 700 type 800 yard shots. I don't currently shot lead free but CA law wl be going into effect I. The next couple years where I will have too. I was wondering anyone was reloading lead free 30-06? Any suggestions

I haven't loaded any for the 06 but load Barnes in most of my other rifles. The tipped TSX really boosted the accuracy of my 300 Weatherby. Good luck and I hope you can find a good load.
I for one think this lead free garbage is insane but Barnes were probably laughing out loud.

I have a bit of a resentment towards Barnes, I've heard they strongly banks the lead free movement in California for "condor protection".

I'll probably end up using them

I'm working on setting up my 30-06 hunting rifle
for 700 type 800 yard shots. I don't currently shot lead free but CA law wl be going into effect I. The next couple years where I will have too. I was wondering anyone was reloading lead free 30-06? Any suggestions

I have a bit of a resentment towards Barnes, I've heard they strongly banks the lead free movement in California for "condor protection".

I'll probably end up using them ��

I've used Nosler's BT and E-tip quite sometime ago with very good success but <500 yards.

No hands on experience ... yet, but here's one for your consideration, >>> https://hammerbullets.com/

Good luck!

Ed

So I'm just learning about long range shooting and reloading for it. I was told a high BC was necessary for long range hunting, the BC listed for the Hammer bullets seems fairly low though.

.......I was told a high BC was necessary for long range hunting, the BC listed for the Hammer bullets seems fairly low though......

The 200 grain Accubond has been a favorite 30-06 of mine. The G1 BC is .524

Lytz gives its G7 BC, as .249-the Hammer 181 G7 is listed as .272.

Hammer is using the G7 which appears to be a lower number at first glance.

If I remember correctly Lytz will be testing the Hammers, and then we will have some same source numbers.

I have a Ruger #1 30-06 that has been underwhelming accuracy wise, until I started putting the 181 Hammers in it, now it's got me re thinking re-barreling, and I bought the rifle as a donor fully intending to re-barrel.

So I'm just learning about long range shooting and reloading for it. I was told a high BC was necessary for long range hunting, the BC listed for the Hammer bullets seems fairly low though.

Barnes show their BC as G1 while Hammer Bullets is G7. G1 and G7 are not the same, G7 is the lower of the two; it's the updated equation and the better system of measuring the BC. G7 provides more accurate and reliable results when calculating trajectory using ballistics program that allows for a G7 to be used.

Below is just an example for comparison ...

Barnes 168 TTSX, G1=.470; G7=.xxx
Hammer Bullet 166. G1=.xxx; G7=.227
Berger 168 VLD. G1=.497; G7=.255

Thank you guys, I was trying to look up the difference between G1 and G7. The comparison above makes it look like you could estimate the G1 BC to be close to double the G7

Running thru various scenarios in my shooter app.
You are going to be hard pressed to find a lead free bullet shot at 30-06 velocities to give enough reliable energy at 800 yards...
Your impact velocity is going to be critical for bullet expansion.
600-650 yards might be a realistic range with the current lead free options for the
30-06.
This is coming from someone who absolutely loves the 30-06, but I have realized its limits with low BC bullets.

gohring3006, what bullets are you plugging into the app with good results. I'm brand new to long range, in actuality I wouldn't take a hunting shoot over 4 or 500 right now and that would have to be near perfect conditions.
When I get more proficient with shooting and reloading I'll be getting a more suitable long range cartridge.
For know I'll work with what I have.

gohring3006, what bullets are you plugging into the app with good results. I'm brand new to long range, in actuality I wouldn't take a hunting shoot over 4 or 500 right now and that would have to be near perfect conditions.
When I get more proficient with shooting and reloading I'll be getting a more suitable long range cartridge.
For know I'll work with what I have.

The 165 grain Hornady GMX is one that gives 1000+ ft lbs of energy at 600 to 650 yards. The impact velocity is in the 1700 fps range which may or may not be in the target range of that particular bullets expansion range...
I ran it at 2900fps @ sea level.
500 yards is a very safe range for that bullet...

Have loaded the Barnes 175 LRX with good results at 2775 fps. This shows between 650-675 yards for the Barnes min of 1600 fps to function correctly. I would be hesitant to shoot it that far without actually seeing how it would function at that range on phone books/gelatin before game.

The 150 TTSX is an option also if you are only shooting to 500 or so. I have that one which will work for the wooded areas out here.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.