Anyone have any luck with a good .17HMR?

midmo

I have never had one but I have heard a lot about .17's and how great they are to use. I'm not sure where to start looking and what to look for. Any advice would be great. The main target would be gophers.

My dad and I both have the Savage 93R17 with the laminate thumb hole stock and stainless bull barrel. They are both shooters. We use them on close range(under 150 yrds) prairie dogs. They are prairie dog slayers. We each have two of the 10 round mags and my 5 yr old has a hard time keeping them loaded for use as we drive around a dog town. I also plan to use it to teach her to shot with it when the time comes. That is if I can get it away from my wife long enough. She loves it to.

Gophers, okay. Large groundhogs?...not so much. I like the 20 gr. HPs on varmints, but sometimes seem to pencil through small critters.

Gophers, okay. Large groundhogs?...not so much. I like the 20 gr. HPs on varmints, but sometimes seem to pencil through small critters.

We just shot literally a couple thousand round of the Hornady 17 grain, also the higher velocity A-17 stuff at sage rats. No necroscopy, but the splat factor was definitely there.

I think the A-17 may have a little edge in red mist, but both performed well. Not many but a few between 150-175, and they died readily.

I've taken p-dogs out to 300yds on calm evenings with my CZ 452 varmint. They splat well under about 150yds :D

Mine likes the v-max bullets. The 17's are nice around the ranches as you have less worry of zingers.

Heck yes! My all time favorite rimfire. Have a bull barrel older Mossberg I think...got it right when the .17 HMR came out. I've done well with it out to 300 but wind kicks my butt past 250 on a windy day. Real explosion round and drives tacks. Mine shoots a 1/4" group at 100 yards all day. Plus I can get all the 17 ammo I want around here where .22 is still as scarce as seeing a real dinosaur.

I have a CZ 453 American with the Single set trigger. Topped it with a Burris Fullfield 4.5 14x42. It's what I use to keep the garden clean.

It'll do 1 hole groups at 50 yds.

Couldn't ask for more.

I have a 17HMR Blaser R93 kit, it has well over 10,000 rounds through it and it is a prairie dog killing machine, espically off of shooting sticks while walking around the dog towns.

I have 2 Ruger 17 HMR's and as stated above p-dogs at 200 are no problem, farther on quite days. I've also taken about 10 coyotes with them, all were within 125 yards and all required a finishing shot but haven't lost any either. Also started playing with a Ruger 17 WSM, mine needed trigger and stock work before it came around. It also does a good job on p-dogs but haven't gotten a chance of stretch it out yet but with what I've seen so far I'm thinking p-dogs at 350 on quite a day should work. Have mine suppressed and plan on using it to call coyotes next winter.

Beauty and The Beast
I have a couple of them and both are capable of being as accurate as they can be considering the fact they shoot a projectile the size of a Tic Tac candy. I think some people get one and try to shoot a one hole two hundred yard group with a fifteen mile per hour crosswind and call them junk after two or three boxes of shells. Calm days and no hot updrafts and you can do some good work with one. Inside a hundred yards makes it a lot easier. I was shooting last summer down here in South Texas and it was pushing 104 degrees and I looked through the scope and I could see tiny cyclones or dust devils as we call them coming across the field I was shooting over. When that little 17 grain pill hits one of those off it goes. I have shot my CZ with a .30 caliber can on it and that's pretty cool as well. Pic's.

Attachments

• CZ 17 and the Squirrel 009.jpg
    CZ 17 and the Squirrel 009.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 253
  • Sweet 17 004.jpg
    Sweet 17 004.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 273
Savage has a *New .17 HMR that's a Semi-Automatic called the A-17....with multiple quick shots it's seems to a pretty neat Rifle.
I also like the looks of the other Savage .17 HMR that's in the All Snow Camo including the scope itself....not sure of the Model #?

93R17 XP Snow Camo (found it)! ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.