Luck is with the patent ones!

Christian F.

Sorry guys, but apparently I am denied access to the "Hunting Stories" chapter. May be I am too "Junior" for this!

Allow me to try it in this way!

Hi out there,

As a newcomer I would like also to contribute a little from this side of the pond; Germany.

I am a passionate hunter who has his own modest (300 Hectares) hunting area just around the corner were I live and use every opportunity to go out in the nature.

Now the story; It was the coldest night registered since 18 years and the temperature dropped down to -22 deg Celsius which is exceptional for our area (near Cologne)
which is only 200 m above sea level. I decided to go out and shoot a fox, as snow was covering the ground and it was no problem seeing even the smallest things out there.

It was 8 p.m. as my wife called me crazy when I left home with my "Drilling" which is a 3 barreled rifle (mine has a .22 Hornet, 7x65R and a 12 gage)
with a scope of 56 mm objective, allowing me an excellent optic performance even at poor light conditions.

Only 5 minutes later I in a dear blind. I was packed like an Eskimo and was enjoying the nature. It was so cold that not even the Jackrabbits came out of the woods.
I was thinking and quit convinced that I was the only crazy species being out at that night.

I must have fallen asleep and round about 11:30 p.m a marten appeared and stood for a fraction of a second still at roughly 90 m.
In the snow and nearly full moon it was as if he was lit up. I decided to send a bullet from y .22 Hornet barrel out in his direction. Up on impact he just dropped dead.

I was thinking to call it an end and go hope as all of a sudden a Fuchs appeared and started to "work" on my Marten. So once again I went decided fort he .22 Hornet and send it out.
The Fuchs ran about 15 m and dropped dead.

For me it was an exciting hunt and decided to pack up and go home.

I always document my hunt with photos of the animals, so as I got to the Marten I took a picture of him and then went to the Fuchs and did the same and all of sudden
(it was in the mean while 01:00 a.m) I heard noises coming out of the woods in front of me at a distance of around 50 m. I was standing middle of the field with no were to take cover.
The noise came from a wild male boar walking between the trees and apparently not noticing me. Maybe his ears were frozen!!!

I made sure that it was not a female and decided fort he 7x65R barrel and waited for him to present himself accordingly and send my 178 Grain bullet out.
Blinded from the flash of the shot, I did not see were he went but in the snow it was easy to track him. I found him dead only 15 m away from the spot I shot him.

The wild boar was 80 kg and the rest you can imagine what a work it was to get him home and do all what needed to be done.

What a night, at the coldest winter in Germany since 18 years.

For those of you who are still inexperienced; the successful hunter must be patient and not give up so fast!
I hope not to have bored any one. Sorry for my English, but at least I tried!!!
Take care all and happy hunting.
Christian

Last edited:
Welcome to long range hunting and that was and excellent story. Is there a chance we can get and up close picture of the rifle/shotgun.

Brent

Hi Brent,

I am glad that you liked it. You know, even as a not so inexperienced hunter, it is not so often that you have the chance of such a memorable night.

For your information, the "Drilling" (in German it means: 3 barrels) is a Suhl (a famous gun smith town in the former East Germany) made Simson Mod. 32.

Just before going to sleep (it is now nearly 11 p.m. in Germany) I took a couple of photos of the "Drilling" and I hope the view and quality is o.k. for you.

You know, I have 18 guns but 95% of the time I go out hunting I have the "Drilling" as you never know what you come across with and as such you have all you need (.22 Hornet, 7x65R and a 12 gage).

Once again, thanks for you positive feed back and take care

Christian

That is one fine rifle. It is really nice to see the cultural differences from country to country. I have never seen anything resembling that before. I think the Drilling is the ultimate predator rifle.

Thanks for sharing

Brent

Welcome
That was a great story - talk about an evening of fun. Thanks for sharing it with us. That is a absolutely beautiful firearm.

Great post and a great story!

I had read about Drillings for the last several years, but had only been able to picture them in my mind, having never come across a picture of one. Very interesting and useable piece of firearm art!

Welcome!

Bill

Luck is with the patient ones!

Hi Brent, Hi all of you giving me your positive feed back. Thanks!!

Indeed, the weapon is quit useful and not only for predators.

One particular thing with the "Drillings" is that when shooting couple of rounds, one after another, out of the larger caliber barrel is that the point of impact climbs a little (due to "bimetallic effect" of the 3 barrels soldered together).

This fact is from the hunting perspective not relevant as you should in any case go for an ethical "1 shot 1 kill" and should need to fire another rounds directly afterwards will make the bullet clime only a little (max. 5 cm) which will be o.k. for a second kill shot.

Though one should take this fact into account when "zeroing" the scope and allow about a couple of minutes between the shots.

At 100 m I shoot with the .22 Hornet and 7x65R groups of less than 0,5 cm which means "hole in hole", making this weapon a very effective one. I have shot many deers at ranges up to 300 m and it worked well. The same goes for the .22 Hornet on varmints.

The 12 gage (12x70) I use when a fox or rabbit appears at distances up to 35 m. NB:In the former days in Germany and still in some countries (in Germany is forbidden) raw deer was also shot with shot gun or with the shot gun barrel of the "Drilling". Needless to say that the distance must be max. 40 m and the pellet diameter min. 3,5 mm. It works! and the raw deer dies instantly, due to shock effect of the pellets, but the hunter must be very disciplined otherwise the poor animal will be only wounded and suffers needlessly!!

By the way there are all sorts of "Drilling" variations; with 3 riffled barrels, 2 rifled and 1 shot gun, 2 shot gun and one rifled barrel etc.

The most popular versions comes in the combination 7x65R + .22 Hornet + 12 gage but there are also 9,3x74R or 30-06.

Take care guys and enjoy the good things in life.
Christian

I am denied access to the "Hunting Stories" chapter

At the top of the page is a bar with different links in it. Select either "Home" or "Articles" and it will take you to the stories and articles if you are just interested in reading them.

If you wished to post them there that can only be done by one of the forum Administrators. Those are the stories that are in the monthly newsletter.

Most stories are just posted as you did in whatever animal category seems appropriate.

Last edited:
Great story and a wonderful rifle you have there. I've always loved fine German rifles. I must say that my patents runs out when the temps drop below 0.

Christian F,

That was a "good" night.

That is a very fine piece of equipment. It would be great in my back yard where deer, elk, coyote, pheasants are all legal at the same time. That would be fun.

About that night hunt? Was there snow on the ground or a full moon?

Also, who is the manufacturer of that 56mm scope?

Its good to not let the cold keep you from enjoying the outdoors.

Be careful about that falling asleep. When I do that I can never get warm again.:rolleyes:

Luck is with the patient ones!

@ jerrschmitt: You are right, there are some fine guns and excellent gunsmiths in Germany but also in some other European countries.

Regarding loss of patients below 0°C, I used to frees regularly during my winter hunting's until an experienced hunter told me an old German hunters expression which says; "If a hunter freezes, either he is poor or stupid". Meaning that wearing the right clothing and especially "onion layer" method of clothing, as we call it in Germany will prevent you from getting cold and will allow you a wonderful time out in the nature.
This means that instead of wearing one thick piece of clothing, you better wear several pieces and not too small of a size.
This will create different layers of warm air buffers and keep you warmer for a longer time.
By the way it is essential that your head keeps warm (Below 0°C, I ware a Russian hat with four, it looks not so good but it works like hell). It is also important to keep your feet and neck and hands warm. It is really easy and do not allow the cold to reach you in the beginning because once you cool down, that's it and you better call it "a day". Hunting is about enjoying and not suffering!!!lightbulb

By the way some hunters think that Alcohol helps warming them up, this is the case only for a short time, your body cools down even faster shortly after. By the way I am not a friend of excess Alcohol in combination with guns and hunting (accident potential and ethics of hunting meaning "1 shot 1 kill", instantly if possible!!).

By the way I love hunting during the winter month especially at night, when snow covers the ground; hunting Foxes, Marten and Wild Boars (other games are not allowed to be hunted during the night time).
As my hunting ground is just a leap way from my house, I am at least 3-4 time a week hunting (early morning before going to work or late afternoon or at night ,in all weather conditions.

Sometimes I shoot and some times I just go observing and enjoying the nature and the animals. In Germany you can hunt 12 month, it just depends on the species.

@ royinidaho: Yessss, it would be great for you because you will have the right "dosage" for any game which you might encounter in your "backyard".gun)

You asked about the conditions at "that" night, yes for both; there was snow and nearly full moon (it was great!!!).

The scope on my "Drilling" is a German made "Nickel 3-12x56".

You are 100% right on that not falling asleep but I would have gone home anyway when the "show" would have started. :)

Take call and a safe and great hunting!

Cheers, Christian

Last edited:
Luck is with the patient ones! and not with the "patent" ones.

I called the topic "Luck is with the patent ones!" Unfortunately I wrote the word patient wrong. Apparently I can't edit the topic myself. I would like to put it right and have the topic changed to "Luck is with the patient ones!". Can someone help my on that?

Thanks, Christian

Do you use the scope for both rifles? How different do they shoot when shooting a target. What difference do you have in hold for your point of aim? Sorry for the questions, but I am very curious.

Tank

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts