Yes, the .204 is a chuck rifle!

Guy M

Springtime brings out the rock chucks. Peacefully sunning themselves on boulders. Grazing in the fresh grass. Living the wild and crazy life as a rock chuck.

Then along comes some rifleman with a flat shooting .204 all dialed in... Ha!

IMG_2856.jpg

IMG_2855.jpg

First chuck I've taken since switching to the 35 grain Berger hollow point varmint bullets at 3910 fps mv. Not quite as explosive as the plastic-tipped 40 gr V-Max bullets I had been using, but very accurate and quickly lethal. Nailed several more up in the rocks, but couldn't get to them for photos. Ah well, you've seen one perforated rock chuck...

I do like the .204, as I can see the hits very easily through the scope. Nice. For the technically minded people, it's a CZ varminter, with a set trigger. Nice walking varminter. Am using a 12x Leupold scope, which seems to work out pretty well. Load is 30.1 gr BL(C)-2, Winchester cases, Federal primers, and the 35 gr Berger, all assembled on Wilson in-line dies on a little arbor press.

I do enjoy my varmint shooting!

Nice shooting there!
Yes it is a nice chuck rifle... out to about 375 yards for me..
I have a Browning A-bolt in 204 that shoots the 40 grain V-max with H-4895 into a tight little knot.
I got this guy @ 140 yards.. think he has a migraine???lol
Image002-2.jpg

Image002-1.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.