Anyone have any luck with a good .17HMR?

I have a friend that did a .17 conversion on a 10-22 and it looks pretty sweet. Semi auto would be too easy to destroy all your targets in mere seconds. :) Did I mention that .17 ammo is all over and .22 is not! I only buy it when it's on sale anyways as my .204 is cheaper to reload for than pay full sticker price for .17 HMR.

My second year of primarily using a 17 for Prairie dogs!

I have 2 Savage 93R17's that are absolute tack drivers! I've easily been able to reach well past 200 yards if the wind is right! Our hunting grounds were somewhat overgrown with thistles this year so "stalk hunting" with the 17's was VERY successful!

B

I'll come in with most of the rest - Savage 93R17.
I tested 8-10 different brands/weights of ammo, found the most accurate one, and bought a bunch.

I have one with bull barrel and thumbhole stock. It will shoot better than I can. Get some high quality optics and start having fun!

I love my hummer. Its a Savage 93r17 with a laminate stock and stainless bull barrel. Its an absolute tack driver. It shoots the cci 20 game points the best. .5 in at 100 is about the average but on a still day its .3. On calm days i take crows out to 250 and it flattens woodchucks out to 200. Furthest kill to date was a squirrel at 275. Longest shot on a target was 400 yards on a rock alittle bigger than a golf ball(no wind what so ever that day) .

I have two Marlins and they are the most accurate stock factory rifles shooting factory ammo at 100 yards I have ever had, by far. It is hard to beat them with my center fired rifles with reloads at 100 yards. Their energy is the only thing they are lacking pass 150 yds. I have killed a coyote at 100 but the HMR would not be my choice for them or ground hogs pass that. But being so accurate you can shoot them in the eye. Till the wind blows them around. At 100 yds it has 196 ft. lbs energy At 250 it only has 103 ft.lbs. of energy

I'm a little late here but I'll sheer mine. I have a Ruger American with a Simmons scope with yardage turrets. I've have done some work to it, and consistently hit my hits @ 200 yards. I've even learned how to surf with it. This thing is deadly on chipmunk @ 175.

Last edited:
My CZ is a hammer and one of the few rifles in my collection I will never part with. I tried savages high end 22 with tactical stock and it was a *** even after spending money trying several different types of ammo, trying several scope including a nightforce and sending it back to savage I never could get it consistently under 1" at 50 yards. Kinda left a bad taste in my mouth for savage.

My CZ is a hammer and one of the few rifles in my collection I will never part with. I tried savages high end 22 with tactical stock and it was a *** even after spending money trying several different types of ammo, trying several scope including a nightforce and sending it back to savage I never could get it consistently under 1" at 50 yards. Kinda left a bad taste in my mouth for savage.

My neighbor is having the same problem with his (Salvage) 17. He'll get 2 clean shot & then a stray off in the middle of nowhere using Hornaday, the best there is.

Attachments

• IMG_5950.jpg
    IMG_5950.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_5949.jpg
    IMG_5949.jpg
    168.3 KB · Views: 132
I must have got lucky because both my savage rimfires are tack drivers. My mkII btvs 22 lr will regularly shoot 3/4in -1in groups at 100 yards on calm days. The my r17 will start to open up after about 150-200 rounds but i clean it and its back to shooting small groups

Have had my Sako quad for nearly 10 years and cant fault it. Sporter weight barrels and they will all shoot moa or better. The HMR is the least effected by wind but you need a very calm day if you want to shoot Moa at 200.
With a good hmr ammo quality is the accuracy limitation, most batches will shoot moa but many not that much better than moa. Ocasionally you will luck onto a batch that your rifle really likes, when you do stock up. I recently found a batch that averaged just over 0.5moa in my rifle with 3 different shooters.
I carry the hmr regularly around the farm, because it is what I have at hand it gets used on things far bigger than the designers ever intended. Ive used it to dispatch dogs harassing stock that would weigh up to 100lbs and dropped them on the spot.
But on anything more than about 10lbs you need to hit the brain to be certain of dropping them instantly. Ive also had some catastrophic failures when the tiny bullet hasn't gone exaxtly where it was intended.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.