Anyone have any luck with a good .17HMR?

I know you asked about the HMR. But, you also said gophers were your targets but no range was given. I have Rugers in both the HMR and the hot WSM. My preference is the WSM. Yes, the HMR is accurate and under 150 yards is fine with the 17 gr. pill. But I've killed large groundhogs with the WSM and a lot of prairie dogs with it's 20 gr. pill. (I shoot suppressed,too.) If you haven't bought the HMR yet, look into the WSM. Savage makes a heavy barreled one that is a tack driver. So is my Ruger, but I had a trigger job and a re-stocking. Another friend has a stock Ruger WSM and his shoots awesome. I also think the ammo is about the same price. Oh, and it appears ALL the WSM ammo is made by one company so look for the best price and the 20 grain bullet. Just my thoughts.

I know you asked about the HMR. But, you also said gophers were your targets but no range was given. I have Rugers in both the HMR and the hot WSM. My preference is the WSM. Yes, the HMR is accurate and under 150 yards is fine with the 17 gr. pill. But I've killed large groundhogs with the WSM and a lot of prairie dogs with it's 20 gr. pill. (I shoot suppressed,too.) If you haven't bought the HMR yet, look into the WSM. Savage makes a heavy barreled one that is a tack driver. So is my Ruger, but I had a trigger job and a re-stocking. Another friend has a stock Ruger WSM and his shoots awesome. I also think the ammo is about the same price. Oh, and it appears ALL the WSM ammo is made by one company so look for the best price and the 20 grain bullet. Just my thoughts.
So to is the 17HMR only made by one company. CCI is contracted by Hornaday to be the soul supplier of the 17 HMR so no matter whose name is on the box it's all produced by them. They claim the only differences are in the tolerance held between Hornaday and others.

So to is the 17HMR only made by one company. CCI is contracted by Hornaday to be the soul supplier of the 17 HMR so no matter whose name is on the box it's all produced by them. They claim the only differences are in the tolerance held between Hornaday and others.

You also have federal and winchester.

I was unaware of that. That's interesting
Hornaday owns the right to the 17 of course. From there, everybody else has to buy in. They contracted CCI to make them because from what I understand there is only a handfull (and I believe i'm being generous at a handfull) of rim fire loading/making machine in the world. There not the only ones doing this because of that limitation. there just the ones I've been made aware of.

That why when there was the shortage. it was such a long time till there caught back up because the machines are already running 24/7
( "Thats all she's got captain and I can't give her no more")
Were the other rounds (centerfire) Started coming out of the woodwork from unheard of manufactures because the cost was no were near what the rimfire machines cost and our as dangerous to run. Obviously you know a 17HMR is a necked down 22 magnum.

That why when there was the shortage. it was such a long time till there caught back up because the machines are already running 24/7
( "Thats all she's got captain and I can't give her no more")
Were the other rounds (centerfire) Started coming out of the woodwork from unheard of manufactures because the cost was no were near what the rimfire machines cost and our as dangerous to run. Obviously you know a 17HMR is a necked down 22 magnum.
Yes I'm aware it's a necked down 22 mag.

But are you aware the 17 WSM is from a Winchester blank case? I think it's used in a big nail gun in mining? That case , and I've cut it open, is way thicker than the HMR case. But I have still seen small split case necks in it. But the HMR has split worse! The pressures in both are pretty significant.
I also believe CCI is the maker of both. Beyond that, I haven't heard much; but surely each company has a set of standards for CCI to use. CCI may or may not agree that they can manufacture to those tolerances and therefore probably has made all brands the same. If you look at the different brands of WSM ammo, you will see the exact same bullet, the exact same plastic cover over the rounds, the exact same Styrofoam holder the rounds sit in. The only difference I can see is the labeling of the boxes, which are the same too. I will admit, I have seen some differences in acccuracy. But, only slight and I can't be sure if it's shooter, conditions, rifle or ammo. Same with speeds. Could be the chronograph. But it does lend itself to the possibility that brands may be slightly different because of their standards for CCI. Minor at best anyway. So try each and hopefully your rifle will like the less expensive brand, like I've been lucky to get.:)

I used a Savage 17HMR for a few years when it first come out...put a couple thousand rounds through it shooting prairie dogs.
With that said I don't own it anymore. It was accurate and effective to maybe 150 yards but just not enough better than the 22lr to keep it around. Ya I know it will hit well past 150(longest hit was near 400 yards) yards but it makes a poor killer farther than 150 yards IMHO
Walk through a dogtown the morning after two guys turn loose the 17HMR and you'll know what I mean.....Take a 22 pistol with ya = you will need it.

I used a Savage 17HMR for a few years when it first come out...put a couple thousand rounds through it shooting prairie dogs.
With that said I don't own it anymore. It was accurate and effective to maybe 150 yards but just not enough better than the 22lr to keep it around. Ya I know it will hit well past 150(longest hit was near 400 yards) yards but it makes a poor killer farther than 150 yards IMHO
Walk through a dogtown the morning after two guys turn loose the 17HMR and you'll know what I mean.....Take a 22 pistol with ya = you will need it.

I'll have to respectfully disagree. It's quite a bit better than a 22 imo. My furthest confirmed kill on a woodchuck with a 22 is 127 yards. I've got them at 165-170 but not just doesn't anchor them. My 17 on the other hand has a confirmed kill at 245 on a woodchuck. Flattened him. The 17 is alittle more forgiving and it definitely hits with more authority.

I'll have to respectfully disagree. It's quite a bit better than a 22 imo. My furthest confirmed kill on a woodchuck with a 22 is 127 yards. I've got them at 165-170 but not just doesn't anchor them. My 17 on the other hand has a confirmed kill at 245 on a woodchuck. Flattened him. The 17 is alittle more forgiving and it definitely hits with more authority.
I've seen the 17HMR do some great things BUT
I'll stand with my statement of not being ENOUGH better to be useful to me and I never did say the 22lr was all that useful. Take that walk through a prairie dog town sometime and you might just agree. There is a time and place for rimfires but I'm big fan of the centerfires past 100 yards.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.