Anyone custom a Browning A-Bolt?

Finding the action I want for my build will be a hand thing...

I want a 700 pre-J, blued, with a jeweled bolt (like an old Sendero action), but can't seem to find anything other than magnum bolt face actions.

I want to build a .280 AI, so I need a .308/.30-06 bolt face (or standard) long-action.

You don't happen to know where any might be for a good price, do you?

NOT dumb, at all! They don't build "do it yourself" rifles. They're just not interested in the possible liability issues that could result.
For that reason, I understand....But I would have a local gunsmith build it for me. Maybe he can call them and get one... Who knows? I'm about over that crap anyway, and just go with another 700 custom. Don't get me wrong, I love my 700's and my Browning, but I figured it would be a unique gun to have an A-Bolt II custom, since you don't see them sitting on every bench, ya know?

For that reason, I understand....But I would have a local gunsmith build it for me. Maybe he can call them and get one... Who knows? I'm about over that crap anyway, and just go with another 700 custom. Don't get me wrong, I love my 700's and my Browning, but I figured it would be a unique gun to have an A-Bolt II custom, since you don't see them sitting on every bench, ya know?

Brownings are unique, here is one that I built.

Attachments

• browning.jpg
    browning.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 442
That is EXACTLY what I'm wanting mine to look like, but blued action, stainless fluted barrel, EGW base, TPS TSR rings, NF 5.5-22x56 MOAR on top, in an A5 stock, but black wtih white web. finish.

Did you buid it yourself? Also, could I get some barrel specs?

I was wanting a Rock Creek 5R barrel 26" outside the reciever, 9.25" twist, and whatever contour that barrel is you have there. What contour is that?

I just called them a while ago and they pretty much told me to **** up a rope, or send them my gun so they could do it...

How does Browning know your 'smith is a competent one? The tag "gunsmith" gets hung on many who don't deserve it. Everyone and their dog is a gunsmith, today. No slam against your guy in any of this. He won't get restricted Browning parts unless he's an "Authorized Browning Repair Station",,, and I'm not sure those exist, anymore. Everything might get sent to the factory for warranty work. I don't know if they run a 'custom shop'. Never heard of one, if they do. The bolt/bolt head effects headspace and inproper headpace can be dangerous to life and limb. As for a 'cheap' 700,,,,,, good luck! The price of used rifles has risen with the increase in 'custom builds' (and inflation that our government says doesn't exist!). The last used actions I saw, which was before the beginning of the year on GunBroker, got bid up , too, compared to what they used to go for. I've looked at the Weatherby Vanguards/Howas. They're good 'iron', still priced good, but again, the extra large selection of aftermarket parts just isn't there. Takes some real planning these days to get a rifle together. Everything has lead time. Finding and action or waiting on that Stiller you ordered to arrive, barrels, Jewel triggers. The stuff just isn't sitting on the shelf these days. Those who are just now starting plans for a build for this years hunt should have started months ago. To top it off, good 'smiths are busy and may not have time to fit you in. (That's why anyone who can screw a barrel on wants that tag, these days).

How does Browning know your 'smith is a competent one? The tag "gunsmith" gets hung on many who don't deserve it. Everyone and their dog is a gunsmith, today. No slam against your guy in any of this. He won't get restricted Browning parts unless he's an "Authorized Browning Repair Station",,, and I'm not sure those exist, anymore. Everything might get sent to the factory for warranty work. I don't know if they run a 'custom shop'. Never heard of one, if they do. The bolt/bolt head effects headspace and inproper headpace can be dangerous to life and limb. As for a 'cheap' 700,,,,,, good luck! The price of used rifles has risen with the increase in 'custom builds' (and inflation that our government says doesn't exist!). The last used actions I saw, which was before the beginning of the year on GunBroker, got bid up , too, compared to what they used to go for. I've looked at the Weatherby Vanguards/Howas. They're good 'iron', still priced good, but again, the extra large selection of aftermarket parts just isn't there. Takes some real planning these days to get a rifle together. Everything has lead time. Finding and action or waiting on that Stiller you ordered to arrive, barrels, Jewel triggers. The stuff just isn't sitting on the shelf these days. Those who are just now starting plans for a build for this years hunt should have started months ago. To top it off, good 'smiths are busy and may not have time to fit you in. (That's why anyone who can screw a barrel on wants that tag, these days).
Because my gunsmith has been in magazines and certified one of the top 100 in the world, before. Plus, he will always work me in, I've been using him for 11 years now. He's a good dude. And has forgotten more about guns, than most of the folks I know, combined...

However, on to this custom build....I guess I'm just going to have to check around. Local stores can't seem to help me, b/c gunsmiths seem to have deals worked out with them if they get any "junk" or well-worn complete rifles in, that they sell to them first. Which sucks for the little guy, like me, who only needs 1 action for right now, to build off of...

The build isn't for any kind of hunt coming up, it's b/c I want it before this up-coming deer season, which starts in November. I have another smith out of GA who has an action, and his prices are excellent, considering the time and effort he puts into his stuff. However, since I've been using Mr. Jimmy for all these years, he takes good care of me on pricing.

That is EXACTLY what I'm wanting mine to look like, but blued action, stainless fluted barrel, EGW base, TPS TSR rings, NF 5.5-22x56 MOAR on top, in an A5 stock, but black wtih white web. finish.

Did you buid it yourself? Also, could I get some barrel specs?

I was wanting a Rock Creek 5R barrel 26" outside the reciever, 9.25" twist, and whatever contour that barrel is you have there. What contour is that?

Yes I did build it my self. It is a 300 RUM 28 inch 1-9" twist #7 contour pacnor stainless super grade.

Because my gunsmith has been in magazines and certified one of the top 100 in the world, before. Plus, he will always work me in, I've been using him for 11 years now. He's a good dude. And has forgotten more about guns, than most of the folks I know, combined...

However, on to this custom build....I guess I'm just going to have to check around. Local stores can't seem to help me, b/c gunsmiths seem to have deals worked out with them if they get any "junk" or well-worn complete rifles in, that they sell to them first. Which sucks for the little guy, like me, who only needs 1 action for right now, to build off of...

The build isn't for any kind of hunt coming up, it's b/c I want it before this up-coming deer season, which starts in November. I have another smith out of GA who has an action, and his prices are excellent, considering the time and effort he puts into his stuff. However, since I've been using Mr. Jimmy for all these years, he takes good care of me on pricing.
Like I said, no slam against your guy. But evidenty, not on Brownings' top 100 list.

Yes I did build it my self. It is a 300 RUM 28 inch 1-9" twist #7 contour pacnor stainless super grade.
Nice! Thanks for the specs! What does the barrel weigh? Just out of curiosity, what does it cost to get a build like that going in parts (just rifle, no optics)?

If so, I might wait to see what you could dig up for me, on that bolt head.....B/c I would really love to build a budget 280 AI for whitetails. I love my 7 Mag, but honestly, I want to see what the Ackley's got in her, with some 168 Berger VLD's...