Browning A-Bolt

Why not go to the manufacture's website or call their toll free number. There are lots of resources available with a Google Search. Here's the link for the Browning serial number search. Call their customer service number if you need more info.

Because I don't have the SN.

A- Bolt but I can't tell a one from a two. Stainless stalker model. I have an A-Bolt I Stainless Stalker in 7mm RM that is super accurate. Easy to upgrade the tupperware stock to a Bell & Carlson for a few $ and a much better look. Another plus is it easy to do a trigger job yourself if you would like a lighter trigger pull.

I have two Browning A Bolts. One in 375 H&H Mag and one in .300 Win. Mag. The stock trigger pulls were attrocious so I went online and found a company by the name of M*CARBO. Normally the replacement trigger spring manufactured by Timney cost around $30 (THAT'S A LOT OF MONEY FOR ONE LITTLE DINKY SPRING!) mcarbo sells a replacement spring for around $13. I bought one, installed it and got a trigger pull of 2 lb., and smoothe as butter. Check 'em out!

As stated A-Bolt stalker II. Great rifles, love mine. My trigger spring was replaced as well and a very safe and crisp 2.5lbs. Super accurate and that 60* bolt throw will spoil you. I've since had a custom stock put on and had it re-barreled to a semi custom. One of my most accurate rifles and a great action.

The 243 Wssm seems like a sweet little round and shouldn't be an issue if you reload.

Last edited:
I'm looking to pick up this rifle. I believe it is an A-Bolt but I'm not well versed in Brownings and don't know how to identify the different generations.

View attachment 218417View attachment 218418
A-bolt Stalker. Bought one last year in .270Win lefty (I'm totally ambi) for $250 appears low round count no dingys with a silver 3-9 ho-hummy Luepold serviceable scope as I didn't have a 270........kinda un-American, I know....fixed that character flaw. Shoots easily 0.5-0.75 with 130gr. You should enjoy it.

Have an A bolt SS (original) model in 7 mag...awesome shooter !!! The only thing I would caution is that it is a trick to find someone who will swap barrels on these. I have read that on alot of these the threads on action/barrel gall, and the threads end up getting ripped out on barrel replacement... I DO know there are barrel manufacturers that WILL NOT rebarrel a Browning SS A-Bolt. If I'm not mistaken, Shilen is one of them. I'm sure somebody knows who will, but make sure this barrel has some life left. Do some research on this before buying, maybe use it as a bargaining chip...rsbhunter

Thanks for the help. I'll probably pick it up this weekend. The only downside is that it's 243 WSSM. Seller has ammo and I reload, so it'll be OK.

Don't down play that cartridge. I have one and love it! Go straight to the 95 gr. Nosler partition or 85 gr. Barnes TS. Many 1 shot kills on African plains game. 300# Red Hartebeest at 250 yards, boom/flop. That round really does punch way above its weight class. Don't use it for fur bearers as it blows coyotes and armadillos to pieces, literally. Keep an eye on neck thickness if you reload, mine required neck turning to keep pressures down.

Worst stock I have ever owned in the composite stalker.

Changed mine to a Boyds laminate, pillar & glass bedded myself.

Also put in a trigger spring kit to get to just less than 3lb

They shoot very well for the price.

I have owned, shot, and loaded for more than a few A-Bolts. Other than trigger work every one of them shot sub moa out of the box. Most of them shot .5 or better with handloads. Some took longer to find correct load. Naturally I tested enough loads to find which which ones my rifles liked. Take your time, find the load your rifle likes and you will be satisfied You also have a great resource here on Long Range Hunting.

I sold my .300 Win mag Browning Stainless Stalker with black Teflon coating, extra (non-vented) BOSS harmonic adjustor, old Burris Black Diamond 3 - 12 scope and extra laminated thumbhole stock. Both stocks are custom bedded with Marine-Tex epoxy. It shot very well when the BOSS brake was properly adjusted.

Then I bought a 6.5 PRC Browning X-Bolt Pro and really love it. Both rifles are accurate but the X-Bolt Pro is easier to carry and shoot with less recoil and a great 2 lb. 8 oz. "Feather Trigger".

Eric B.

You can get the better spring mccarb spring go onto there web sight simple to change
I've tried their spring in 2 different A-bolts. Both times the trigger went down to 1 lb, but had no adjustability. Cutting the factory spring is the way to go in my experience. Mcarbo does make a great X-bolt trigger though

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.