Anyone able to get any 7mm Cartridge to 3300/160 or 3200/175gr?

Not once have I ever mentioned a load here, or elsewhere, that was not tested over the PRESSURE TRACE II that I own. I use 2 chronographs and the results are not used unless repeated.
I have results that go against every loading manual, but one, that proved exactly what they said was true, every other manual fell way short in both pressure and velocity using the same powder. This had me baffled, so I pressed on testing and the same anomaly kept repeating, so, how were the measurements taken so different between manuals? I still haven't figured that out. The powder in question is RL19 and in several cartridges it switches burn rate with RL22 and burns slower producing higher velocities without increasing pressure. It is a wonderful thing to watch when the graphs come up.

Cheers.

Easily with my 7 stw. I'm over 3200 with 190gr bullets.
1000001337.jpg

1000001339.jpg
1000001340.jpg

They are the Maker T-rexs 7mm 175gr. There not the highest bc by all means but they shoot very well. I'm shooting them in two rifles now and soon to be a third. They hold accuracy out to 500 yards so far. I will be stretching them out a little more this year. We took 4 mule deer with them last year and if you want a bullet we're they just drop in there tracks and not blow up alot of meat, check them out.

You're killing me Butter, you're dad-gum killing me! :) I'm trying to gather up my cow elk hunt deposit and I have bought two rifles recently! I don't "need" the 28...I don't "need" the 28...:)
Plus it shoots 1/2 MOA…. With a Matrix 175 VLD. It's about 3/4 MOA with zero load development on the 166 A-Tip.

Attachments

• IMG_0017.png
    IMG_0017.png
    599.3 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0016.jpeg
    IMG_0016.jpeg
    157.4 KB · Views: 21
Oops, I have another Retraction/Apology. I looked in Bob Hagel's book "Game Loads and Practical Ballistics for the American Hunter" , trying to remember where I got that 160 at 3300 factoid. On page 140 is a picture of his Record Book Caribou, his Mashburn Super Mag and his load. A 160 Partition going 3240fps! Still an awesome load, but I can only think I read that somewhere years back when messing with the 7 STW and that 7mm RUM, ha. I just wanted to clear that up, however, the plus side is I got to hear about you guys and your Big 7s, I have learned alot!

And stop that Butter! lol

That sounds great! I am a believer in that Wthby free bore! I had a 340 Wthby and a 257 Bee, they were both just awesome.
Hey Lance...have you had any opportunity to take elk with that 28? If so, do you feel like it "hits them pretty hard? I have used and like both the 300 and 338 Mags on elk, even cows, and any 7mm Magnum I get again will have to hit just as hard to be worth it to me.
I have loaded for "a bunch" of different 28 Nos.
They have taken semi-truckloads of elk. And deer, bear, audad, ibex, oryx, bison, deer, pronghorn, African game, etc. On 4 continents that I know of. NA, SA, Africa, Asia. They are a legit LR medium-skinned crusher.

My personal 28 Nos is a LR elk rifle only. And since I absolutely suck at drawing tags, have not used my own rifle yet.

7mm/338NMI pushes 195 Bergers at 3250 fps and 180 Berger Hybrids 3300fps with N570 and Lapua brass. Brass has good life for this beast.

Edit: 26 inch Proof barrel

Last edited:
The problem I see nowadays is that most reloading manuals for the big 7s (STW & RUM) list moderate and conservative loads. If I am going to shoot my 7mm RUM, I am going to maximize my velocity while staying around that 62-63k psi range. Just a thought.
How are you measuring the pressure?

Rev Jim, Just like you. As a Pre Teen and teen ager I remember reading Jack O Conners accounts of how he could shoot a 130 and 150 grn bullet, from his 270 Win. at speeds that closely approached the "New 7mm Rem mag " even suggested the velocities were so close a hunter didn't really need that new Rem. cartridge. I thought that was amazing. I hung on every word. I'm 75 now and I have still never been able to duplicate what Jack did. Especially getting OVER 60 grns of H 4831 in to a . 270 case. Gave up trying to do that trick ages ago. I sometimes wonder if Jacks' rifle chamber and cases might have been 'Improved" No disrespect meant to the Dean.