Anybody tried the new 145 ELD-X in .270 Win?

Crowe284

I have a buddy that I load for and he is wanting to try the new 145 gr eldx. I have always used H4831SC when loading for his rifle with good results.

Has anyone developed a good load with these pills for their .270 Win? If so, share what you have found out during the process as related to what load you settled on, if the bullet likes to be jumped or touching, velocity achieved, etc. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Crowe

I've looked quite a bit and haven't seen much. I am thinking about doing some for my son with his 270. Subbing to see if anyone else chimes in.

I got bullets ordered today and my buddy is sending me a bunch of twice fired brass. I'm going to use 4831SC. As I go, I'll post results. I would have thought someone had given them a run by now. Guess not!

I have loaded two different powders with this bullet. First IMR-7977 and next N560.I have shot the first load with mixed results good velocity but so so. accuracy. I have yet to try the N560 load but I expect it to be good because the powder worked well with Berger 150 VlD's.

Started this weekend with load development. Can't get gun to shoot this bullet. Using H4831sc, CCI-BR2 primers and 2x fired remmy brass fired in same chamber. Bumped shoulder .001 and set bullet just off lands. Started at 55 grains and worked up to 58 grains where primer was cratered pretty bad. Backed off and ran 56-58 grains just off lands. Would get something that started to look promising and then get couple flyers that would open up group. Had these same results with the eldx in a 7mag and ultimately switched to Berger 168. Started moving bullet off the lands in .003 increments with most accurate powder node which was between 57&58 grains but still nothing worth a dang. My brass prep is very thorough so the problem is not there. Don't really know where to go from here. Anybody else tried these pills with any luck?

by the way,when bullet is seated to book oal, could hear powder crunch at 57.8 grains. Book max is 59.9 with oal of 3.210 as per an email from techs at hornady.....Don't know how you would be able to stuff 59.9 grains in the case....

Well boys, getting her figured out. I scoped the bore today and noticed a bad carbon ring in the barrel just past the lands. Should have cleaned it more thourghouly to begin with but just took it for granted that maintenance had been good. After removing carbon I loaded up 6 rounds .002 off lands with 57 grains of 4831sc and cci br2 primer. Shot two three shot groups. First went into .410 and second was .396. Now, I need to verify that es is acceptable and that the load will hold accuracy at distance but this was promising. This is a weatherby vanguard rifle with bell and Carlson stock and timmney trigger that is set at 1.5 lbs and very crisp. Intention of this project was to move my friends effective range from 300 to 600 yrs for whitetail and mulies. This bullet shooting around 2900 fps will get him there. Again not done just yet but very promising results today from an accuracy standpoint. Will load up some more to verify accuracy of load and cross fingers hoping es is acceptable. If everything works out, will then spend a weekend with him teaching him about dialing and mil/mil scopes. Will keep updating as i go along. Very pleased to make some progress today.

Well boys, getting her figured out. I scoped the bore today and noticed a bad carbon ring in the barrel just past the lands. Should have cleaned it more thourghouly to begin with but just took it for granted that maintenance had been good. After removing carbon I loaded up 6 rounds .002 off lands with 57 grains of 4831sc and cci br2 primer. Shot two three shot groups. First went into .410 and second was .396. Now, I need to verify that es is acceptable and that the load will hold accuracy at distance but this was promising. This is a weatherby vanguard rifle with bell and Carlson stock and timmney trigger that is set at 1.5 lbs and very crisp. Intention of this project was to move my friends effective range from 300 to 600 yrs for whitetail and mulies. This bullet shooting around 2900 fps will get him there. Again not done just yet but very promising results today from an accuracy standpoint. Will load up some more to verify accuracy of load and cross fingers hoping es is acceptable. If everything works out, will then spend a weekend with him teaching him about dialing and mil/mil scopes. Will keep updating as i go along. Very pleased to make some progress today.

Good to hear! I'll be doing some work for my kids .270 win this summer.

I have shot some, but not with great results I've tried5 different powders and different seating bepth but only get a 1/2 moa is my best and that's to the lands and 55.5 of hodgde superformance at 2980 fps but not what I was hopping for. I get the best group with 130 sst 58.2 of superformance and hit milk jugs out to 700 yards with ease! So I haven't been to exited about the 145 Eldx like I was hoping.

Funny what each of us thinks is good enough. I've used the 145 ELD-X in my 270 WSM and it shot a little better than 0.7 MOA at 200 yards when seated right on the lands. I thought that was plenty good enough and would take 0.5 MOA all day long.

Well that was the best out of all the loads I came up with the rest were 2 moa groups or just over moa. My other guns I can get 1/4 moa or better at 100 yards so I was hopping for the same, the 130 grain sst I have almost in the same hole so I had hoped for the same.
I like to shoot Long rang so I have High standards, a 1000 to 1500 yard shot can be way off if its just moa so I make all my guns shoot sub moa at a 1000 so I can feel confident about my shots.

I just picked up some of these bullets. I will start with Reloder 26/Hornady brass/ cci large rifle primers. This powder has produced good velocities with other 150 grain bullets like the sst's, Gamekings, Partitions etc.I expect similar mv from a 22"barrel with these. I also expect sub moa and I shoot off sandbags.I am more concerned with developing a 2-300 yard elk load. I clocked the 150 sst's at 3070 without excessive pressure signs.I don't see much info or data on the. 277, 145 grain eldx out there.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.