Anybody tried the new 145 ELD-X in .270 Win?

145 eldx and 58 grains of Superformance shot better for me than, R 26, or 4831 sc. Superformance by far the best velocity and low es.. I have a ruger m77 old one.. it shoots great at mag length for the rifle. Definitely get some IOsso and get rid of that carbon ring and then let her buck..

145 eldx and 58 grains of Superformance shot better for me than, R 26, or 4831 sc. Superformance by far the best velocity and low es.. I have a ruger m77 old one.. it shoots great at mag length for the rifle. Definitely get some IOsso and get rid of that carbon ring and then let her buck..

Very interesting...I assume at 58 grains it's basically full load density? Superformance gave me wild es number

Every rifle is different.. I would start at 55 and work up to it.. ES for me was 12 but I always double weigh my loads.. If your just after a good Es and not accuracy maybe 4831 is a better powder for you. I don't really care about es if the accuracy is great, and it has been with superformance, fed 210 primer, ww brass.. Good luck my friend.

I didn't get to finish my initial reply (phone randomly decided it didn't recognize it's own SIM card). Superformance gave wide es numbers when I tried the loads that Hodgdon initially recommended on the powder canister. It's slower burning than they initially thought in my experience. I keep seeing people reporting good things in the 270 Winchester with it lately. I have a 270 along with 3 other centerfires. It's the one cartridge I never tried it in. Barnes shows it giving highest velocity with their 130 and 140 grain bullets

Based on your report, what I've read in the superformance thread currently running, and my own thread about 300 win mag powders I believe my next powder purchases will be superformance and h1000, possibly rl 26 if it shows up somewhere (others here are calling it fairy dust or unicorn powder - sightings are rare). Who knows though...if I found an exceptional deal in the stuff I might just load up on the old reliable imr 7828. Love that powder and it's always available.

I'm running 145g Eldx with federal brass and AR2209. At 49gr of AR2209 with 84.5mm OAL I'm just punching 2620fps at the muzzle - slow but sub 1/2MOA group. it is book max. Interestingly the Ballistics app I use works out my drops correct at 2700fps (despite chrono at 2600) so I'm guessing I have some other input wrong. Anyway, hitting steel at 800yds and took a large Red Hind at 612yds last week. Interested to know what you've worked up to. I think my load is performing well in terms of accuracy, but I'm thinking about doing some more load development (while checking pressure indicators) to get some more speed out of it. Do you think it's worth it?

Hey Tobyn, only you can answer that really. What are you wanting to achieve? Sounds like your current load is working.
However if you do go beyond book max then you really need to tread extremely carefully, watch pressure signs and be sure your crony is telling the truth. I use my air rifle to "sanity check" my chrony before testing loads with it.

My experience with 2209 and eld in my 270 is in a rifle with a long throat and norma brass. Fired cases measure 71gr of water which is significantly larger than the 68gr usually quoted for a 270. Eld's don't touch rifling until at 3.460 coal.
If using quickload case capacity is a really important measurement to take.

Given these factors my lower node was between 52.5-53, upper node is 54.5-55. Both nodes group with .020 jump but a wider window is between .040-0.50 jump. The upper node had the best ES, but not quite the group. 1/2-3/4 is typical. Heaps for hunting and an ethical kill. My final load is 54.7g 3.415 coal

I started overbook at 52.5 as this was an unbelievable load for 150sst and had tested 150s upto 55g before any sign of pressure so was reasonably confident anyway...the 145g let me get into the upper node I couldn't quite reach with the 150.

This is with 210M primers

Hope this helps - stay safe.

Last edited:
Good day I am new too the group and would like to ask if someone might have load data for 270 win using hornady eld-x 145gr bullet and Vihtavouri N560 powder.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.