270 WSM 145 ELD-X Loads

I have developed a new load for my 270 WSM. 150 Nosler long range Accubond in Norma brass Win mag primers and H1000 powder. I am getting half inch groups and velocity just short of 3000 ft/sec. My deer load.

I just worked up a load with Magpro with the 140 accubond in my Tikka T3 using the Nosler max load of 69.5 grains. Accuracy is 1/2 MOA but velocity is only 2960 which is disappointing. Nosler book says 3243 for velocity. I ran the ballistics and shot 1 round at 650 yds to verify the drop and it was on. Not sure what the deal is with the low velocity. Tikka barrel maybe?

I have a box of the 145 eldx to try next with Magpro and H4831 to see if I can get better velocity.
Bastard is not always better accuracy is where it's. People gotta stop worrying about how fast the bullets go. And worry about how well the rifle shoots. If you're getting a 1/2 inch group at a 100 yd with a five, that is the excellent. My 7MM remmag Browning hills Canyon. I'm getting 5 rounds, 58.7 H4831SC factory specs 2668. You can cover all 5 rounds up with a dime. I'm not gonna ever complain about that. Just worry about keeping it in the ten ring

Bought a 1885 in 270WSM Friday. Have RL 19, 22 (3lbs each) & 1 lb of RL26. 150 speer btsp & 145 ELD-X bullets. Rl22 & 26 Pulled ( for brass) 30 win copper impact , saved 10. Mag pro is probably un-obtainum. Do have a fresh lb of H1000. My 1st short mag. Think try RL26 first? Run any heavier bullets in that 1885?
There's tons of Magpro on the shelves at Scheels in West Des Moines. It's been fairly easy for me to get over the past couple of years. They also have Retumbo and N570 currently.

Powder isn't nearly as rare as during the worst of the 2020/21 hoarding.

There's tons of Magpro on the shelves at Scheels in West Des Moines. It's been fairly easy for me to get over the past couple of years. They also have Retumbo and N570 currently.

Powder isn't nearly as rare as during the worst of the 2020/21 hoarding.
Not much on shelves here in Kerrville,Tx. CFE223 & BLACK, H335,imr3031 ....... Faster burning powders. We have so many exotic ranches here, hard to find slower burning powders yr round. At $55-62 + tax a lb not sure if I want to find any.

I ended up impulse buying a Christensen Arms 270 WSM. Have always wanted one and got a good price. I have done some searches but a lot of the posts are quite a few years old and not much was said about using H1000. I've herd now that the 270 WSM likes H1000 and was curious if anyone is running 145 gr ELD-X's with it. I say it really likes RL26 but I'm pretty sure I wont find that for another 3 years.... I do have a bunch of H1000 though so that's why I'm wanting to go that route. Thanks!
H1000 64 grs 2870 fps
67 grs Max load 3064....
As always use caution!
I always get a chuckle here when a person asks a specific question and gets 100 different replies with everything but ....what he/she asked for!

Not much on shelves here in Kerrville,Tx. CFE223 & BLACK, H335,imr3031 ....... Faster burning powders. We have so many exotic ranches here, hard to find slower burning powders yr round. At $55-62 + tax a lb not sure if I want to find any.
Yikes. Wish I could help you out, but that's a long drive from Iowa.

Bastard is not always better accuracy is where it's. People gotta stop worrying about how fast the bullets go. And worry about how well the rifle shoots. If you're getting a 1/2 inch group at a 100 yd with a five, that is the excellent. My 7MM remmag Browning hills Canyon. I'm getting 5 rounds, 58.7 H4831SC factory specs 2668. You can cover all 5 rounds up with a dime. I'm not gonna ever complain about that. Just worry about keeping it in the ten ring
I don't disagree with you on the accuracy part but it's a 270 WSM not a 270. Brass and ammo is a pain to source so I'd like to maximize the potential of the cartridge. Truth be told if I need more horsepower I have a 7 mag that shoots 162's at over 3000 fps with great accuracy so I can shoot that gun if need be.

Yikes. Wish I could help you out, but that's a long drive from Iowa.
I have 3+ lbs each of RL 19 ,& 22, one lb H1000, RL26 also untouched.
My trip today had my chronograph giving me 5600 something( not feet per) a minute. Need reset factory defaults. Best group were roughly 3/8 (.370) but velocity is mystery right now. Maybe new Garmin? Cost to much to play alot now days.

Recent Posts