Anybody shooting a .30-.378 Weatherby ?

Marine sniper

I am starting the work up on my .30-.378; What bullets are you shooting, how long of barrel, and what velocity are you getting with what powders and primers??

Thanks,

John

I shoot 111 grains of Rotumbo powder with 180 grain Accubonds and Fed Gold primers

I'm going to go up to 200 grain Accubond bullets based on everything I've read on this site.

I have a crappy chrohograph so I'm not totally confident in the reading, but I show 3410 fps.

I'm not an expert on barrel life but I think barrel life depends on the type of barrel, letting the barrel cool between shots, etc.

I'm sure others will have better takes on barrel life.

Here's a really good site...

30-378 Weatherby Magnum Custom Load Information

Work up to some of these loads as it's pretty easy to go over max pretty quickly. My sako won't let me get to the top of some ofthese loads yet I've seen people post that their particular gun did. Personally any time you hit 3400 with a 180 or 3200 with a 200 I think you are really very close to max. (26" barrel). BMG 50 and retumbo have worked really well for me.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.