Any recommendations on a cow elk hunt??

dixiemagnum80

Hey guys.....myself and a group of buddies are looking for a reasonable cow elk hunt this coming season. Anyone have any recommendations or a direction to head here? We really don't have a preference in states....just looking for a high success cow hunt to fill the freezers and not break the bank. Any thoughts?
Chuck

Utah has several private land cow hunts too and they are quite reasonable if you want to DIY it. Full guided hunts seem to run 1500-2000 but DIY hunts are as cheap as 5-600.

Both Montana and Wyoming are considerably cheaper than Idaho coming in about $300 for reduced price or 'B' tags in each state. Idaho is about $420 for an elk tag and an additional $150 for a non-resident hunting license so it's closer to $570 for a tag. Idaho does not have any reduced price elk tags. That being said, there are great cow hunts in all 3 states. I hunt all three states.

Cross

Thanks for the info guys. Are there any public areas that would be recommended in these states that may have a better population? I've found a few hunts through outfitters that are around $1000 on private ranches. Would this be a better way to go considering we will have 4-6 guys in the group? Thanks again for the help.
Chuck

Guided cow on private ranch thought a couple outfitters I have found is around $1300-1500 and that includes food and lodging, but still out money for out of state licenses and tags which combined is another $600 ish.

Give Hills Guide Service a call. Western Colorado. I guide for them, and the manager, Mark, used to guide for me. I can vouch for them as honest people with good hunting and good prices.
970-487-3731

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.